I just wanna know...psychology phd F22

samnarv

Found out last night that I didn't get an interview for my top choice school....because i checked the program's website. I wish these schools would say when theyre sending interview invites etc. Or send out rejections at every stage. I hate waiting without knowing. If anyone has heard from Yale psychology (not clinical), University of Maryland clinical psychology, university of maryland neuroscience, upenn psychology, princeton psychology or cuny graduate center cognitive and behavioral neuroscience please let me know so i wont suffer of anxiety 

On 1/9/2022 at 12:28 AM, samnarv said:

Found out last night that I didn't get an interview for my top choice school....because i checked the program's website. I wish these schools would say when theyre sending interview invites etc. Or send out rejections at every stage. I hate waiting without knowing. If anyone has heard from Yale psychology (not clinical), University of Maryland clinical psychology, university of maryland neuroscience, upenn psychology, princeton psychology or cuny graduate center cognitive and behavioral neuroscience please let me know so i wont suffer of anxiety 

Not to encourage your anxiety or anything, but most schools send out a couple rounds of interview invites, and invitations have been known to go out as late as February or even March - plus waitlisted candidates have to hang in until after the April decision date.  It is still way too early in the process to be worrying -  I know here at my uni, the profs are only this week getting together to review applicants and make decisions about who will be offered an interview first. 

Even if someone else has already gotten an interview, it does not mean that all invites have gone out from the program, so please do not base your feelings and decisions on what someone else claims to have received, there is still a long way to go. Until you get a rejection letter, you can consider yourself in the running

On 1/9/2022 at 1:28 AM, samnarv said:

Hello there :)

I can definitely relate, most of us are in the same boat. This is my third time, and I am still impatient and have days where I keep refreshing my email for too long. 

The thing is, programs like to keep applicants on hold because you never know what might happen. I just heard a story about this last week from a faculty member currently interviewing - they had a candidate that they felt were a great match, they interviewed them and then realized that it won't be working out after all. So now they have to do more interviews after the program's initial round of interviews. Some programs might do additional rounds of interviews to fill out more spots if they found more funding or if the applicants chose a different offer. There are quite a few people who get in from waitlists. You get the idea, the process is pretty unpredictable. However, you also must realize that usually these are more rare events. If you find out some of your programs already had several interviews with applicants, I would put that program on the backburner and focus on the rest of them. 

I agree with you that it would be better if we had more transparency in the process. A few programs give candidates at least an estimate of when they might hear back (the deadline is X and we interview initially in Y month) and I think all should follow this, like they do with the offer deadline. If I manage to get an acceptance this application season, I am definitely committed to advocating for more transparency and change as a grad student and beyond.

16 minutes ago, SoundofSilence said:

I agree with you that it would be better if we had more transparency in the process. A few programs give candidates at least an estimate of when they might hear back (the deadline is X and we interview initially in Y month) and I think all should follow this, like they do with the offer deadline. If I manage to get an acceptance this application season, I am definitely committed to advocating for more transparency and change as a grad student and beyond.

I echo this last point here ! I applied to primarily Canadian programs with the exception of one American clin psych program. And for that US school, right after the application deadline, a generic email was sent to all applicants with a timeline of when interview invites would be sent out, when interviews would be held, and when the first round of admission offers would be sent. This reduces so much anxiety because now i know if I hear nothing the week interview invites get sent, then i can focus my attention towards other schools. I know it can be challenging when a lot of applications get submitted but I wish all programs could operate with this kind of transparency! 

44 minutes ago, T.O.hopeful said:

I echo this last point here ! I applied to primarily Canadian programs with the exception of one American clin psych program. And for that US school, right after the application deadline, a generic email was sent to all applicants with a timeline of when interview invites would be sent out, when interviews would be held, and when the first round of admission offers would be sent. This reduces so much anxiety because now i know if I hear nothing the week interview invites get sent, then i can focus my attention towards other schools. I know it can be challenging when a lot of applications get submitted but I wish all programs could operate with this kind of transparency! 

Yes, definitely we need to advocate for more transparency in the process. I don't think it would compromise the general application process in any way, and it would provide some structure and peace of mind to applicants. 

On 1/9/2022 at 10:58 AM, samnarv said:

A prof at Princeton psych told me all interview invites have been sent out already.