Food Stamps

grad_wannabe

Hi all,

I'm starting grad school in the fall. I have (miracle on high!) received a fellowship that covers all of my tuition and affords me a stipend of about 9666/9 months, or 1074/month. I'll be in grad housing, for which I'm paying 735/month (utilities included). That gives me about $300 per month for food, books and supplies. I'll be using public transportation, have no dependents, and am trying my damndest not to take out any loans. I'd prefer not to get a job while in school (I would TA, but my fellowship disqualifies me for a TA position because I'm already getting department assistance).

A girl I know in a grad program here in CA recommended I get on a food stamp program. Has anybody tried this before? I did a quick eligibility check with the State of Massachusetts and they said there are certain legality issues with college students applying for help, and that I may have to hold a work-study job to qualify, but that if eligible I could get up to $150/month in food stamps, which would help a whole helluva lot.

Anybody have any experience with food stamps while a grad student?

I had friends get food stamps in undergrad- we definitely qualify. I think you need to have a small job (TA, RA, 10-hour-a-week thing) to qualify, but other than that it is no problem!

I had friends get food stamps in undergrad- we definitely qualify. I think you need to have a small job (TA, RA, 10-hour-a-week thing) to qualify, but other than that it is no problem!

Depends on the state. I just went through the online eligibility test (http://www.snap-step1.usda.gov/fns/) for Ohio and I do not qualify because I have over $2000 in a bank account. Granted I may not once I move, so maybe I'll look into this again later.

Depends on the state. I just went through the online eligibility test (http://www.snap-step1.usda.gov/fns/) for Ohio and I do not qualify because I have over $2000 in a bank account. Granted I may not once I move, so maybe I'll look into this again later.

This. I make more at my assistantship per month than my husband makes as a full time retail employee. Combined, we make about $2000/month net. Yet that's still too much to qualify in Georgia.

With just the stipend from TAing, I make too much to qualify for food stamps in my state.

• 3 weeks later...

California has weird laws regarding government assistance. We looked into getting on the program several years ago, when my husband was out of work and I was only working part time. However, we didn't qualify for some reason--I think because we had 2 cars. Or maybe because we had too much equity in our home? Well, some program rejected us for having 2 cars...might have been Medical...and I know we were definitely not eligible for food stamps, despite having an income < $10k and 4 children.

• 1 month later...

California has weird laws regarding government assistance. We looked into getting on the program several years ago, when my husband was out of work and I was only working part time. However, we didn't qualify for some reason--I think because we had 2 cars. Or maybe because we had too much equity in our home? Well, some program rejected us for having 2 cars...might have been Medical...and I know we were definitely not eligible for food stamps, despite having an income < $10k and 4 children.

Regarding foodstamps: I'm studying as a masters in social work in CA. We were just informed at an agency visit that assets (property) are not counted if you have minor in the home. I think this is a new regulation. Definitely worth checking it out.

Hi all,

I'm starting grad school in the fall. I have (miracle on high!) received a fellowship that covers all of my tuition and affords me a stipend of about 9666/9 months, or 1074/month. I'll be in grad housing, for which I'm paying 735/month (utilities included). That gives me about $300 per month for food, books and supplies. I'll be using public transportation, have no dependents, and am trying my damndest not to take out any loans. I'd prefer not to get a job while in school (I would TA, but my fellowship disqualifies me for a TA position because I'm already getting department assistance).

A girl I know in a grad program here in CA recommended I get on a food stamp program. Has anybody tried this before? I did a quick eligibility check with the State of Massachusetts and they said there are certain legality issues with college students applying for help, and that I may have to hold a work-study job to qualify, but that if eligible I could get up to $150/month in food stamps, which would help a whole helluva lot.

Anybody have any experience with food stamps while a grad student?

Perhaps you could look into renting a room or sharing a space with someone. I rented a room while in graduate school from a single dad and his son for 250 a month + utilities....it was so much cheaper than campus housing, and such a nice experience.

Perhaps you could look into renting a room or sharing a space with someone. I rented a room while in graduate school from a single dad and his son for 250 a month + utilities....it was so much cheaper than campus housing, and such a nice experience.

This. $700+ a month for on campus housing is insane. I've lived in three of the most expensive states for rent in the country (MA, RI and now NJ) and only in Boston did I pay that much (for my half towards a 2 bdrm apartment with a roommate). I know people who've lived with roommates in NYC for less than that. Unless there are serious extenuating circumstances I would definitely look into housing alternatives.

I did food stamps in the year between my undergrad and starting my grad program, and they helped immensely when dealing with the burden of student loan payments. I let my agreement with the stamp people lapse at the end of this past August because of moving to a new address and thinking that I might be able to manage on my stipend (about the same, $9.4k/9mo) since I wouldn't be paying student loans. I didn't properly account for the huge blow moving and not working for most of the summer would deal to my savings, though, so now I'm considering reapplication because I am going into my program broke, with absolutely no financial padding at all.

I know that, in Oregon at least, your qualification depends on either your income alone, if you live alone or buy/prepare your own food, or your combined income with a roommate or S/O if you buy and prepare your food together. My boyfriend is making considerably more than me each month, now that he has a legit job at the University, but since he's not paying any more for groceries and we still eat a lot of our own meals (not shared) I think I might just apply for my own stamps again.

Sometimes the people at human/health services offices are over-worked and a little grumpy, but remember that you can find a lot of information on their websites and part of their jobs is explaining the qualifications and benefits to people. They have a lot of helpful information, and it's worth it to give them a call if you are truly having trouble putting enough/nutritious food on your table.

Edited by poco_puffs