New York University 2008

Pegona

I e-mailed the administrative assistant a couple days ago- said that decisions will be out "shortly" and apologized for the delay, it took longer than expected.

Yeah. I wonder. i'm getting burned out of this process as each day goes by without news b/c it's my last school. I'm almost ready to make a wager that NYU won't get to us until next Wednesday or something like that. I just want something before my spring break.

Hi, I got positive news from NYU and so did someone else I know, about 10 days ago or so from faculty members themselves. I haven't received my official letter of offer yet though, but have heard from my advisor, the history office and other faculty all confirming that I'm in. If you haven't heard in the same way I don't think it would mean your are definitely out (my friend who also heard in the affirmative found out days after me) but I do know there has been a list of definites around for a while. Maybe just email and say friends have heard news, when should you hear, etc. As far as I know the actual Graduate School is very tight lipped and seems to insist all letters go out at the same time (ie mid march) which means any news from NYU for now is on that informal basis - nothing official can go out until the Graduate school has all information. Hope that helps!

Hey All,

Are there any others studying Latin America and the Caribbean that have heard news? I found out a few weeks ago and received my letter with funding. Its kind of amazing NYU will also serve as a guarantor for an apartment for us. Those of you from out of state have no idea how had it is to get an apartment here without a huge income or an instate guarantor! Good Luck everyone!

• 3 weeks later...

Anese --

I haven't heard a word from NYU for the American Studies MA since I submitted everything December 1st. I noticed that last week most people were notified about decisions for the American Studies PhD. I have a feeling NYU is one of those schools that funnels the PhD students they don't accept into the MA decision pile, and therefore makes MA decisions later. Still, it's past the point of ridiculous, since it's been almost 4 months now. If this is your top choice, good luck! I think I'm ready to accept another offer just so the waiting game will be over.

Anese --

I haven't heard a word from NYU for the American Studies MA since I submitted everything December 1st. I noticed that last week most people were notified about decisions for the American Studies PhD. I have a feeling NYU is one of those schools that funnels the PhD students they don't accept into the MA decision pile, and therefore makes MA decisions later. Still, it's past the point of ridiculous, since it's been almost 4 months now. If this is your top choice, good luck! I think I'm ready to accept another offer just so the waiting game will be over.

At this point its one of four schools I am waiting on, but Fordham, GWU and Columbia have later deadlines (Called GWU to be sure they were still accepting apps and was told they would be until the 2nd....) I do agree that 4 months is rediculous, and I hope I hear a yes or a no soon. I have a meeting with a former professor coming up in April to discuss my options for next year, and I would like to know whether or not these would include putting together a class schedule or picking up new research to make myself a more attractive candidate for next year! ><

If you're considering Columbia's MA in American Studies, I would say don't bother. I'm graduating from the program in May and if I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't. The university treats Liberal Studies students, which the MA is offered under, as second-class citizens. Many professors won't let you into their graduate level classes because you aren't a PhD. student. The department has gotten a little more helpful with some recent personnel changes, but it's still a crapshoot. You have no adviser, just a bureaucrat behind a desk, and are pretty much left to your own devices. Developing a personal relationship with a professor or two will make the experience more enjoyable.

If you're considering Columbia's MA in American Studies, I would say don't bother. I'm graduating from the program in May and if I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't. The university treats Liberal Studies students, which the MA is offered under, as second-class citizens. Many professors won't let you into their graduate level classes because you aren't a PhD. student. The department has gotten a little more helpful with some recent personnel changes, but it's still a crapshoot. You have no adviser, just a bureaucrat behind a desk, and are pretty much left to your own devices. Developing a personal relationship with a professor or two will make the experience more enjoyable.

egh! I'll keep this in mind! Honestly, from the description it didn't sound like they think much of people who enter into this program...but I hoped it was something I was just imagining!

barrydancer wrote:

egh! I'll keep this in mind! Honestly, from the description it didn't sound like they think much of people who enter into this program...but I hoped it was something I was just imagining!

I do hope that their MA in history program is not as bad!

I received an email and a few days later an envelope. This was last week. NYU doesn't fund MA students as a matter of course. Over two years, why would anyone go $60K in debt to get a degree that 'might' get you into a PhD program, and if so 'might' allow you a professional future with no real hope of ever paying off that debt?

I received an email and a few days later an envelope. This was last week. NYU doesn't fund MA students as a matter of course. Over two years, why would anyone go $60K in debt to get a degree that 'might' get you into a PhD program, and if so 'might' allow you a professional future with no real hope of ever paying off that debt?

Ummm... because that's how NYU works? haha... I know nyu undergrads who go into debt $100,000+ and as graduation approaches the hysteria is growing... A lot of the people in the history Ma program though are teachers and their schools cover the tuition or at least a significant part of it.

I just got my phone call today!!! Accepted!

Now I just have to figure out how I'm going to pay for this--since everyone is saying that NYU doesn't fund!

Also--still waiting to hear back from Columbia...

• 9 months later...

For those of you who got in - any idea what it means to get invited for the prospective students weekend? I was told they had "strong" interest and they are flying me out to visit, but has anyone received full fledged offers/confirmation? Just wondering...thanks.

It meant nothing. There was a bit debate over this among the applicants. Some went to the interview weekend and got rejected. Others didn't get invited but got in.... or did go and got in....

I wouldn't worry too much except to make the most of the weekend!