The 2021-2022 PhD application Thread for Public administration/affairs/management/policy

Tiago Chan

Welcome everyone to the 2021-2022 PhD application thread for public administration/public affairs/public management/public policy!

Hello everyone,

I'm starting this thread for anyone who's waiting on applications to doctoral programs in public administration/public affairs/public management/public policy!

I've applied to Michigan (Public policy joint with political science), IU Bloomington, Syracuse, UW Evans,  USC Price, Albany SUNY, Kansas, Georgia, Nebraska Omaha, Florida State U, Arizona State U, Rutgers-newark, CU Denver. I'm an international applicant, maybe a bit out of the loop.

I heard nothing so far, and hope we can share any information related to admissions this year here.

Good luck to you all! :)

Glad to see somebody open this thread!! 

I am also an international applicant and apply to similar schools:  IU Bloomington, Syracuse, USC Price, Albany SUNY, Georgia, Nebraska Omaha, Florida State U, Arizona State U, Rutgers-newark 

I got an interview from Albany but still did not hear anything from other schools.

Good luck! 

I only applied to a couple programs, my top choice being USC. I had an interview a couple weeks ago which I think (hope) went well. Based off of prior years' data on the results page I think that this and/or last week would be the week we hear if it was good news, but with each passing day I get more nervous decisions have already gone out. Did anyone happen to hear anything?

1 hour ago, anxiouslywaiting100 said:

I only applied to a couple programs, my top choice being USC. I had an interview a couple weeks ago which I think (hope) went well. Based off of prior years' data on the results page I think that this and/or last week would be the week we hear if it was good news, but with each passing day I get more nervous decisions have already gone out. Did anyone happen to hear anything?

University of Arizona have notified its admission decision by email from the DGS.

I got interview request from University of Nebraska Omaha by email from the POI.

I still hear nothings from other programs, which are better programs actually. Maybe they have more applicants to review, though the application deadlines of some of them are earlier. If this week or last week is the week when they release good news, I will become more and more be nervous.

I applied to a few programs too and am still waiting for responses. Answers on poli sci programs seem to be coming in earlier.

I'm an international applicant and have applied to 5 really selective programs (figuring that it's worth it to move across the world for these but that it might be wiser to work for a year and try again if it doesn't work). In Europe at least, the selectivity of academia/research doesn't stop with PhD admissions, so I figured it's safer to get into a good program, but I won't lie, sometimes I worry that I'm in over my head :P

Based on the results page and admission statistics issued by different programs, it is my impression that US schools are more reticent to admit international candidates with GRE and GPA scores equivalent to successful domestic applicants. That being said, the results page only tells us so much and there are many aspects we can't analyse based on the information we have available. I'm also a bit concerned that schools might have a hard time figuring out the relative reputation of international universities in a given subject as well as understand country-specific grading.

Anyways, best of luck to everyone! :)

Edited by politely_curious

35 minutes ago, politely_curious said:

I applied to a few programs too and am still waiting for responses. Answers on poli sci programs seem to be coming in earlier.

I'm an international applicant and have applied to 5 really selective programs (figuring that it's worth it to move across the world for these but that it might be wiser to work for a year and try again if it doesn't work). In Europe at least, the selectivity of academia/research doesn't stop with PhD admissions, so I figured it's safer to get into a good program, but I won't lie, sometimes I worry that I'm in over my head :P

Based on the results page and admission statistics issued by different programs, it is my impression that US schools are more reticent to admit international candidates with GRE and GPA scores equivalent to successful domestic applicants. That being said, the results page only tells us so much and there are many aspects we can't analyse based on the information we have available. I'm also a bit concerned that schools might have a hard time figuring out the relative reputation of international universities in a given subject as well as understand country-specific grading.

Anyways, best of luck to everyone! :)

True. The timeline of public policy program and political science programs is quite different, though some polisci programs include the subfield of public policy, such as University of Arizona and Texas A&M University. That's why I opened this thread for people to discuss public policy/management programs.

Just do it. I believe we all will end up with a happy home. 

International applicants without a degree from universities at the US will have drawbacks, from my perspectives. But other materials can indicate our qualification, and programs will consider the race and nation diversity of the cohorts. Let's just focus on what we can control. Many people said that GRE is not the dominant factor and more and more programs did not require GRE.

Hope we can hear good news soon!

Hey everyone! I applied to the University of Washington, Public Policy and Management program and have yet to hear anything. I'm not sure what the timeline for policy schools looks like (the rest of the schools I applied to are public health) but this waiting game is rough!

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster. 

Like the poster above, the majority of my programs I applied to were in public health schools but I did apply to the Duke and University of Chicago public policy PhD programs.  No word from either yet. This seems to be the norm for Chicago as they dont hold interviews, but the silence from Duke likely means I haven't been moved forward in the process. 

I'm also a current student in the MPP program at GWU.  I have great relationships with quite a few of the program directors as well as some of the students in the newest PhD cohort and I'm happy to talk Trachtenberg with anyone who may have applied to the public policy PhD program at GWU. 

Hasn't U Chicago started to release public policy results? Or do i remember that incorrectly from the results page?

Same for Duke for me, they said that not being asked to interview is "not a direct sign" of being rejected, but it still definitely feels like it points in that direction.

For future reference (and possible readers in future years scouring the forum), I reached out to Duke in late Jan (I don't know what possessed me, I panicked) after seeing several reports of interviews asking if no interview invite meant an automatic rejection and they replied this :

Dear xy,

The Ph.D. admissions committee is still in the process of reviewing applicants and extending offers for interviews. We often conduct interviews with students to continue reviewing their candidacy, but it is not an immediate indicator of a rejection from the program.

Best regards,

The Sanford PhD Program Admissions Office"

Color bug (persistent)

13 hours ago, politely_curious said:

Sorry for the color issue, here's the text in black: For future reference (and possible readers in future years scouring the forum), I reached out to Duke in late Jan (I don't know what possessed me, I panicked) after seeing several reports of interviews asking if no interview invite meant an automatic rejection and they replied this:

"Dear xy,

The Ph.D. admissions committee is still in the process of reviewing applicants and extending offers for interviews. We often conduct interviews with students to continue reviewing their candidacy, but it is not an immediate indicator of a rejection from the program.

Best regards,

The Sanford PhD Program Admissions Office"

Hi everyone. This is my first post on this forum!

I have applied to the DPhil in Public Policy at Oxford and the PhD in Political Science at Yale. 

I have also applied to the MPP at Princeton (since I have the requisite work experience and I'd rather do a 1-year program)

The reason I didn't apply to other schools is because I'd rather go back into government/related work if I don't get into the programs that I feel are the best fit.

I saw someone have claimed the offer from Duke public policy. Hope both of you will hear good news.  @politely_curious  @bbrwin

-------------

Public Policy, Duke University Received an e-mail to check the portal. This was around 3 weeks after I was interviewed. 25K stipend + 9K summer fellowship. Tuition waivers.

Added on February 11, 2022

Accepted on 11 Feb Fall 2022 International GRE 168 GPA 4.00 PhD  0

I applied to UChicago Harris and UW Evans for their Public Policy programs and I'm so anxious to hear back from either school. I'm fairly certain Harris is a no because they've already sent out a few acceptances.

I also applied to a few Political Science programs but as of right now I'm 3r/0a/4p.

Starting to freak out a little ? but good luck everyone!

46 minutes ago, sglad said:

I applied to UChicago Harris and UW Evans for their Public Policy programs and I'm so anxious to hear back from either school. I'm fairly certain Harris is a no because they've already sent out a few acceptances.

I also applied to a few Political Science programs but as of right now I'm 3r/0a/4p.

Starting to freak out a little ? but good luck everyone!

Where have you seen Harris acceptances? I also haven't heard from them but at least based on previous years they seem to usually release PhD decisions a bit later in February. They also typically don't conduct any interviews, so I wouldn't count yourself out just yet based on silence!

2 minutes ago, bbrwin said:

Where have you seen Harris acceptances? I also haven't heard from them but at least based on previous years they seem to usually release PhD decisions a bit later in February. They also typically don't conduct any interviews, so I wouldn't count yourself out just yet based on silence!

Hey! I read a comment in another forum of someone who said they had received an acceptance from the program so I assumed that at least first offers had gone out. I'm trying to stay optimistic but my nerves are really getting to me...