The 2021-2022 PhD application Thread for Public administration/affairs/management/policy

Tiago Chan

I applied to UMich, Syracuse, UChicago, and Cornell (also to MSU for a totally different ag-focused program). Have heard nothing back from any school, although I need to know in the next two weeks due to extenuating circumstances. I doubt I'll get in anywhere (great LOR, strong writing skills, and important prior research, everything else is below-average though) but it would be nice to know that I am denied. Honestly treating this cycle as a test run to calibrate my expectations, but it is frustrating that it takes this long, especially when I had everything wrapped up in November. 

9 hours ago, lil_caseworker said:

I applied to UMich, Syracuse, UChicago, and Cornell (also to MSU for a totally different ag-focused program). Have heard nothing back from any school, although I need to know in the next two weeks due to extenuating circumstances. I doubt I'll get in anywhere (great LOR, strong writing skills, and important prior research, everything else is below-average though) but it would be nice to know that I am denied. Honestly treating this cycle as a test run to calibrate my expectations, but it is frustrating that it takes this long, especially when I had everything wrapped up in November. 

Oh yes, the long waiting is definitely grating! I think most programs had the Dec 1 deadline. It's crazy long, I agree

Edited by politely_curious

On 1/29/2022 at 3:57 AM, Tipeng Chen said:

The University at Albany, SUNY has released its results at the portal.

I still heard nothing from other programs.

Hope more guys can join this thread and share more information with us~

Have you been offered funding from Albany?

5 hours ago, kaiser2cu said:

Have you been offered funding from Albany?

Hi there, I got the funding. They request me to make a response before March, and I will likely to decline it as I am still waiting for the results of other preferred programs. Hope that will help.

10 minutes ago, Tipeng Chen said:

Hi there, I got the funding. They request me to make a response before March, and I will likely to decline it as I am still waiting for the results of other preferred programs. Hope that will help.

Thank you for your reply. What other schools you have been accepted?

1 minute ago, kaiser2cu said:

Thank you for your reply. What other schools you have been accepted?

Only Rutgers and University of Nebraska Omaha. I did not get the funding from Rutgers at first, but I got now. I assumed someone had a better offer and decline the funding from Rutgers, and it my turn.  For UNO, I am waiting for the funding.

6 minutes ago, Tipeng Chen said:

Only Rutgers and University of Nebraska Omaha. I did not get the funding from Rutgers at first, but I got now. I assumed someone had a better offer and decline the funding from Rutgers, and it my turn.  For UNO, I am waiting for the funding.

Hi Tipen. Thanks for the forum. I was looking something related to Public Affairs but didn't find. This is very helpful. I have also been accepted to Albany and Rutgers but waiting for funding. I have heard back from Kansas and Omaha, rejected. Waiting from NC state, CU Denver, Georgia, UT Dallas, Pittsburgh and Florila Atlantic. Did u apply any of those? 

12 minutes ago, Tipeng Chen said:

Thanks. Lets keep in touch. 

Just now, public-affairs said:

Hi Tipen. Thanks for the forum. I was looking something related to Public Affairs but didn't find. This is very helpful. I have also been accepted to Albany and Rutgers but waiting for funding. I have heard back from Kansas and Omaha, rejected. Waiting from NC state, CU Denver, Georgia, UT Dallas, Pittsburgh and Florila Atlantic. Did u apply any of those? 

Congrats on your acceptance. I have been also rejected by Kansas. I also applied CU Denver and UGA, waiting for it!

2 minutes ago, Tipeng Chen said:

May we know which programs did you apply, and how are they going on?

I only got accepted to Albany so far but waitlisted for fund. BTW, how much is the funding u have got from Albany and Rutgers. I applied Auburn, FSU, Albany, Kansas, UTA, UNT, FIU, and Oregon. Heard back from Kansas and Albany only. What you will be choosing between Albany and Rutgers, since u have funds from these schools. I expect you will have more funded offers from other top schools. 

6 minutes ago, kaiser2cu said:

I only got accepted to Albany so far but waitlisted for fund. BTW, how much is the funding u have got from Albany and Rutgers. I applied Auburn, FSU, Albany, Kansas, UTA, UNT, FIU, and Oregon. Heard back from Kansas and Albany only. What you will be choosing between Albany and Rutgers, since u have funds from these schools. I expect you will have more funded offers from other top schools. 

Thanks very much for sharing. Albany provided 21000$ per year and Rutgers 25000$. I have no preference between them. Thanks for the wishes, hope I can hear news from other school this week. Wish you the best also.

1 minute ago, Tipeng Chen said:

Thanks very much for sharing. Albany provided 21000$ per year and Rutgers 25000$. I have no preference between them. Thanks for the wishes, hope I can hear news from other school this week. Wish you the best also.

Albany is better ranked than Rutgers and high employment tracks. Good luck to us!! At the end of this month, we will get better picture. Let us know finally what you decide. 

My UC Berkeley Public Policy rejection just came in. Email, friendly. First I've heard back from any school. Not too disappointed as I expected it (they only seem to accept 1-2 people a year). I will still ask them if they can give me some feedback on weaker parts of my application (or on fit with faculty) to possibly improve my application for Berkeley and other schools next year should nothing work out.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:31 AM, Tipeng Chen said:

Hi Tipen, Have u got any other results from the schools you have applied? 

I got rejected by UW and Syracuse. I reached out to the DGS of UGA, she said the first round offer have already sent.

I also reach out to DGS of IUB, he said I was on the "admits", but on the waitlist for funding. So sad, IUB is my top choice! If you was accepted with funding by IUB and IUB is not your first choice, please decline it as soon as possible.

On 2/23/2022 at 12:52 PM, public-affairs said:

I applied NC State and got the funding offer on Feb.18th.