Introductions for 2011, Sociology PhD

Let's get this party started! Long time (maybe a few months) viewer, first time posting.

So I went and re-took the GRE today and actually got a decent score this time around. I was a 500 V, 620 Q, and 5.0 Writing to get into the master's in sociology I am currently finishing up. Today I got a 590 V (yes, my summer thusfar consisted of assaulting my mind with vocabulary, I felt like Chuck and "the Intersect") and a 640 Q. So, perhaps a 1230 is not a home run, but I think this is in the ball park of where I need to be, so I think I'll stick with it...feeling confident about other aspects of application.

As mentioned, I will be finishing a Master's in soc. this spring, and then moving on toward the PhD (hopefully), and plan to emphasize in sociology of religion. Anyone else out there? Application season is only a few months away. Let's do this. B)

Let's get this party started! Long time (maybe a few months) viewer, first time posting.

So I went and re-took the GRE today and actually got a decent score this time around. I was a 500 V, 620 Q, and 5.0 Writing to get into the master's in sociology I am currently finishing up. Today I got a 590 V (yes, my summer thusfar consisted of assaulting my mind with vocabulary, I felt like Chuck and "the Intersect") and a 640 Q. So, perhaps a 1230 is not a home run, but I think this is in the ball park of where I need to be, so I think I'll stick with it...feeling confident about other aspects of application.

As mentioned, I will be finishing a Master's in soc. this spring, and then moving on toward the PhD (hopefully), and plan to emphasize in sociology of religion. Anyone else out there? Application season is only a few months away. Let's do this. B)

Where are you working on your Master's? I'll be getting started at Purdue, also in the sociology of religion. Have you done research in the sociology of religion? How did you narrow down your interests? Are you switching schools when you move into your Ph.D or are you staying where you got your Master's?

Where are you working on your Master's? I'll be getting started at Purdue, also in the sociology of religion. Have you done research in the sociology of religion? How did you narrow down your interests? Are you switching schools when you move into your Ph.D or are you staying where you got your Master's?

Yes, I've been a part of a few projects on sociology of religion. I've worked on religious-based mentoring and positive adolescent outcomes, the role of conversion in the migration process, and my thesis looks at social ties, religious participation, and stratification. Hmmm, how did this get narrowed down? I suppose it came from being a part of these research projects first, and then the interests came along later. I think my first true interest in sociology was in gender, and the social construction of masculinity, femininity, etc., and other interests came from there. What about you? My school only offers the terminal MS in sociology, so I will be moving somewhere this next year (again, hopefully!). pm for other info

Hello! My first post as well, although I've been lurking for a few weeks.

I'm finishing up my B.A.(Sociology and French) this fall and then taking a few months to work and decompress before (hopefully) starting grad school next fall. I plan to specialize in social demography, and I have a particular interest in African demography.

I'm taking the GRE next Friday! (Crossing my fingers and studying geometry like a madwoman)

Hey all, I just took my GREs this past Monday! Wow, it was beyond stressful and way harder than any of the million practice test that I took. However, I managed to get a 1280 (620V/660Q). I'm hoping this number is good enough to at least get me considered at all of the schools that I'm applying to. My areas of interest are sexuality, gender, race, and queer theory. I'm sure we all will be getting rather acquainted as app season is quickly approaching!

I agree barilcious, the GRE is just silly hard. When I took it last week, the math section seemed especially convoluted. I had lots of the "pick I,II,III,IV" types of questions, and all kinds of triangle-circle overlap. Near the end, I was running out of time with about 2-3 questions left and just had to put something, nearly crapping my pants out of anxiety. To get prepped, I used the Peterson's study guide which has several sections loaded with especially difficult questions, and that helped me out. That, and listening to Stan Bush's "The Touch" while driving on the way. Hey Coffee-ology, what did you get the first time you took the GRE? My goal this time around was 1200+, got a 1230, and two years ago got an 1120. Lizzla, regarding geometry, one thing I did that was a life-saver was taking one last look at the 45-45-90, 30-60-90 triangles right before walking in. So glad I did.

Lizzla, regarding geometry, one thing I did that was a life-saver was taking one last look at the 45-45-90, 30-60-90 triangles right before walking in. So glad I did.

Thanks for the tip :) I am a little fuzzy on my triangle rules. I like math and I did well in stats last fall, but it's been a LONG time since I've used some of the math covered on the GRE.

I'm not too concerned about the verbal section, but I'm a little worried that I'm going to run short on time during the quantitative section and make stupid mistakes. cool.gif I'm feeling cautiously optimistic, though--and I'm taking it early enough that I can retake it if it comes to that.

Good scores.....

Have you looked at potential programs?

I agree barilcious, the GRE is just silly hard. When I took it last week, the math section seemed especially convoluted. I had lots of the "pick I,II,III,IV" types of questions, and all kinds of triangle-circle overlap. Near the end, I was running out of time with about 2-3 questions left and just had to put something, nearly crapping my pants out of anxiety. To get prepped, I used the Peterson's study guide which has several sections loaded with especially difficult questions, and that helped me out. That, and listening to Stan Bush's "The Touch" while driving on the way. Hey Coffee-ology, what did you get the first time you took the GRE? My goal this time around was 1200+, got a 1230, and two years ago got an 1120. Lizzla, regarding geometry, one thing I did that was a life-saver was taking one last look at the 45-45-90, 30-60-90 triangles right before walking in. So glad I did.

I got an 1120 the last time without studying signing up for it two days prior because of paperwork issues

Nice, it seems like a lot of us are in a similar boat. Good to feel not so alone and I hope everyone gets a decent score on the frakking thing.

Spaulding, as far as looking at potential programs, the schools I have in mind so far came mainly from reading other's works, and going to SSSR last year. I was able to meet a few professors there which sparked interest in a few programs. This next conference in October will be more interesting because the application deadlines will only be about a month or two after the conference. Anyone else going this year? I imagine several of the soc. of religion people would be.

Wow! Awesome scores!! Congrats!

Thanks! I'm relieved to have it over with...I was imagining some nightmare scenario where I'd be halfway through the test and we'd get a bad thunderstorm and the power would go out. Or there would be a tornado..we've had some interesting weather the last couple of days, so those fears aren't entirely unreasonable biggrin.gif

Hi Happy, I notice that there are really not that many masters-only programs in the US. Which U are you getting your masters from?

And in general, can anyone suggest which are the best master-only programs, either here in the US or overseas? Thanks.

Hi everyone!

I'm also applying to various Phd programs in sociology for the 2011 Fall Admission. I still haven't taken my GRE, but I already have my schedule and currently preparing for it. This will be my first time to take it, and I hope that I'll just have to take it once. :mellow: Anyway, I'm currently finishing my MA in Southeast Asian Studies and will be done with it by December 2010. I am still not exactly sure where I'll be applying, although I'm leaning towards Stanford, Northwestern, UNC-CH, Wisconsin, and UC-Irvine.

Oh, I'm coming from a non-socio background (as I did Political Science for my undergrad and doing Southeast Asian Studies for my MA ) but I'm planning to focus on social movements and political sociology. :rolleyes:

Edited by modernityisdead

Lizzla, you are hardcore. Nuff said.

So, perhaps some people are wondering about the timing of receiving the writing score after the test. I just got mine today (5.0, yeah!). I took the test July 15th, received my scores in the mail July 30th, so 15 days.

Ditto! 15 days for me as well. I took it on the 12th and got the scores on the 27th. 5.0 writing for me as well!!

Hi everyone!

I'm also applying to various Phd programs in sociology for the 2011 Fall Admission. I still haven't taken my GRE, but I already have my schedule and currently preparing for it. This will be my first time to take it, and I hope that I'll just have to take it once. :mellow: Anyway, I'm currently finishing my MA in Southeast Asian Studies and will be done with it by December 2010. I am still not exactly sure where I'll be applying, although I'm leaning towards Stanford, Northwestern, UNC-CH, Wisconsin, and UC-Irvine.

Oh, I'm coming from a non-socio background (as I did Political Science for my undergrad and doing Southeast Asian Studies for my MA ) but I'm planning to focus on social movements and political sociology. :rolleyes:

I was in the same situation. I did a Communications/Mass Media BS and then a Southeast Asian Studies MA. I am now just starting a PhD in Sociology this Fall at Cornell. Depending on your focus within Sociology, you should make sure you target NRC schools for Southeast Asian Studies. One, because they have the resources to help you continue your focus on SEA if you so wish, and two, because they are a great source of potential funding. I guess it all depends on if you want to continue with your SEA interests, but I would suggest it strongly as PhD programs like to find a niche for you to be funded. Good luck!

• 1 month later...

Hi! I am also researching sociology programs, hoping to apply for 2011, with a special emphasis on sociology of religion. What programs would you recommend as best for that subfield?

• 3 weeks later...

Hey All,

just introducing myself, late (i couldn't remember my password for the site and it wasn't resending it to my email address for a while). I'm applying this fall to about 7 schools (UC Berk, UCLA, UCSD, UC-Irvine, Penn, PSU, and Princeton) for programs in migration. I took my GRE this summer and I'm wrapping up my writing sample and getting my letters gathered (hopefully soon!). Is anyone out there still in the process of applying or am I the one that is late to the party?

I'm just getting started, really. I have transcripts and GRE scores sent to where I'm applying, and have talked to professors about writing letters, so that's all planned out. Haven't sat down and started my statement of purpose yet, but will probably do that during October.

Hey All,

just introducing myself, late (i couldn't remember my password for the site and it wasn't resending it to my email address for a while). I'm applying this fall to about 7 schools (UC Berk, UCLA, UCSD, UC-Irvine, Penn, PSU, and Princeton) for programs in migration. I took my GRE this summer and I'm wrapping up my writing sample and getting my letters gathered (hopefully soon!). Is anyone out there still in the process of applying or am I the one that is late to the party?

Hey All,

I'm wrapping up I suppose. I still have to finish my writing sample and polish it up. I have my SOP, but got to tailor it to each school. Other then that I think I just got to start submitting stuff and write the diversity essay for Berkeley! Best of luck!!