Applying for Fall 2011

Melchior

Financial aid was not very good. Somebody please convince me that the program is worth searching for all the external grants I can find.

Any other music updates?? (Of course I'm still waiting to hear from that NYU GSAS waitlist, especially since someone declined them)

Edited by snes

Financial aid was not very good. Somebody please convince me that the program is worth searching for all the external grants I can find.

Any other music updates?? (Of course I'm still waiting to hear from that NYU GSAS waitlist, especially since someone declined them)

I finally got that rejection from BU I've been expecting the past couple months- only I sadly had a dream last night in which I was accepted, so that made it a little harder.

Still waiting on Brandeis, Indiana, and Case Western.

• 1 month later...

How did you friend find out? I applied too but haven't heard anything. Then again, WA is kind of far from WI if they use snail mail. I'm just trying to organize a visit, but don't want to organize it and then find out I didn't get in.

I talked to two former CCM Musicology students and they warned against about half of the professors and a terrible vibe within the department.

I know it's too late, but for anyone who might be reading this in the future: the two students you talked to

are absolutely right about CCM. Terrible student morale--I know very few current students or alumni who

were not bitter about the program at some point. Also, the funding is only for 3 years, and that is

barely enough to get you through coursework at CCM. You will be completely on your own (in

more ways than one) for the dissertation. That said, it won't be a total loss if your interests

are in 18th-century Vienna or 20th-century USA. Those are CCM's strongest areas.

I know it's too late, but for anyone who might be reading this in the future: the two students you talked to

are absolutely right about CCM. Terrible student morale--I know very few current students or alumni who

were not bitter about the program at some point. Also, the funding is only for 3 years, and that is

barely enough to get you through coursework at CCM. You will be completely on your own (in

more ways than one) for the dissertation. That said, it won't be a total loss if your interests

are in 18th-century Vienna or 20th-century USA. Those are CCM's strongest areas.

Well, it's a good thing I was so sure that it was the wrong place for me. It's kind of sad though how I decided to take a year off rather than take their TAship and additional fellowship. I think they must be desperate.

• 1 month later...

How's everything going for everyone? I'm excited to start my grad program in a few months. What's everyone up to this summer?

A former colleague of mine at the University of Chicago is now completing her MPhil at Cambridge (I am off to Princeton for a Ph.D.). Do you want me to put you in touch with her for some tips? Contact me on my e-mail (stephen.raskauskas@gmail.com) and I will forward along her contact information.

Thanks so much! I will write if I have a question, but, for now, I think I am fine, as I have another friend in the program who has been answering my questions.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

To last year's applicants: congrats on your acceptances and good luck with beginning your new careers in the upcoming weeks.

Did any of you choose to visit the schools in person (if it weren't required as part of an audition/interview process), and do you think it was helpful to meet with prospective faculty personally?

• 4 months later...