Applying for Fall 2011

Melchior

Hi, all! Who here is applying for fall 2011? I will be applying to PhD programs here in the US and a few MMus programs in the UK...

Hope to get a discussion going!

Good luck, all!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there,

I'm applying for fall 2011, I'm considering Columbia, Stanford, UCSD, and Northwestern. However, I'm a little bit worried about the GRE and all of that (I'm an international student, so the verbal part is really hard for me). Do you think it's really important?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure how important it really is. I'm considering UPenn, and they have the range of GRE scores they accepted for their music PhD program; seems that it isn't all that important:

GRE Median - Verbal: 660

GRE Media - Math: 700

GRE Range - Verbal: 550-770

GRE Range - Math: 530-800

yeah, it doesn't seem such a big deal.

anyway, we'll try to do our best! Are you applying for musicology or comp?

by the way, thanks for your response.

Edited by txonet

yeah, it doesn't seem such a big deal.

anyway, we'll try to do our best! Are you applying for musicology or comp?

by the way, thanks for your response.

Musicology! I'm applying to Columbia and Stanford, too...

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi there!

I went through this process two years ago, and I would offer a few pieces of knowledge that I wish I had back then:

Preparation and research

1. Of course you'll want to find professors with your interests, but don't toss one out just because they're not exactly in your area of expertise; you'd be surprised how much it helps to have a professor who has a similar approach or philosophy, even coming from a different subject. Of course, if you're an incoming Master's student, there's always a possibility that your interests will change, so who knows. Full listing of musicology programs at http://www.ams-net.org/gradprog.php.

2. Be sure to contact the professors you would like to study with as well as students currently at the school; if possible, try to find recent grads to discuss how their job-hunt is going with a degree in hand from University X. Be sure to attend the national AMS conference in Indianapolis in November. Go go go to the receptions, meet students and professors, and even try to sit in on students giving papers from the schools in which you're interested to get an idea of the caliber of the work at the school.

3. If possible, visit the campuses. I realize that this can get very expensive very quickly, but if you have the means, it really helps to show your interest and of course put a "face" on your application.

The application

1. DO NOT underestimate the importance of the GRE if you are applying to any schools if the programs you are interested in:

a. admit only students that they can fund

b. find funding in a school-wide competition (as opposed to programs that control their own funding)

If both of these are the case, then the GRE is the only "standard of comparison" between departments. I can tell you from personal experience that such schools will take an applicant with the higher GRE score over the better qualified (one professor was even kind enough to tell me so...after the fact). I can tell you upfront that several of the "big-name" schools are in this situation. You will find plenty of folks that have a story of getting in with sub-par GRE scores, but don't listen to them. Getting into each type of department is different, and each school is different; if you're really not sure, call the department and ask them the two questions above.

2. Although in my opinion it should be the most important part, the next most important thing is your statement of purpose. Have a clear statement of why you wish to pursue a career in musicology, how your past experiences have prepared you for graduate studies, and how you will fit into the program. If some part of your past academic life requires explanation, this is the time to do it, but be sure it's something that really must be explained (a bad semester or two, if followed by clear improvement, does not require explanation--unless a "bad semester" means all D's and F's ;) One last note: undergrad admissions committees want to know how diverse your interests are, grad admissions committees want to know how focused you are.

3. Be ready with all the paperwork: order your transcripts well in advance, make sure you're not waiting until the last possible test date to take the GRE so that you're not paying extra for expedited scores. Also, be ready to pay a lot in application fees; they will range from $50-100 per school, so certainly don't waste your money if you won't fit into a school at all.

Please don't hesitate to ask any questions you may have, and best of luck in your applications!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also applying for Fall 2011 in musicology.

Melchior, what programs are you looking at in the UK? I've been investigating some schools over there as well, but the grad school format is so different, I've been having a little trouble distinguishing which programs I might be interested in.

Edited by Eislinn

I'm also applying for Fall 2011 in musicology.

Melchior, what programs are you looking at in the UK? I've been investigating some schools over there as well, but the grad school format is so different, I've been having a little trouble distinguishing which programs I might be interested in.

Hi! I'm looking into King's, Royal Holloway, Southampton, and Oxford. It's definitely a different system though, and is a bit confusing tbh.

Also, just to add one other small thing: I asked the director of undergrad studies in my university's music department (don't want to give anything away, but I'm at one of the top 10 universities in the US according to the US News - flawed - rankings), and he mentioned the important aspects of our applications for grad studies as the following:

1) writing samples

2) recommendation letters

...distantly:

3) grades and GRE

Edited by Melchior

• 3 weeks later...

I'm applying for ethnomusicology. Any other ethnoids out there? Or Canadians?

I'm finishing my M.A. in Alberta, and trying to move up into one of the big schools in the States: Chicago, Penn, Harvard, Indiana, UIUC. I'm also applying at Alberta and Toronto. Some "reach" schools and at least one almost sure bet (though with funding as it is, who knows).

I got rejected from some of these schools 2 years ago, but I'm trusting that my newly acquired theoretical knowledge has improved my statement of purpose and writing samples--the comparison seems pretty stark to me when I look back at my older stuff. Plus I have one big conference presentation now. GRE and GPA scores aren't any different, so I'm glad that they aren't the only things taken into account, though I think mine were competitive last time I tried.

• 1 month later...

Hi all! I'm also applying for next fall - for a PhD program in musicology.

Well, I've finally finished my applications. It's a great feeling, right? I'm still basking in it. All I need to do is send off some writing samples to a school tomorrow by mail. After that, I guess the waiting game begins. I'm still checking the status sites to make sure everything is in though. It's got me a little worried when a school with a Dec. 1st deadline says that they don't have one of my transcripts. I've been trying to contact schools with "missing" stuff but it seems like everything is shut down this time of year.

This thread looks like it has been dead for a while. But this is a cool little site. I'm glad I found it.

Has anybody heard yet? Any invitations to interviews?

I've spent what feels like a huge amount of money applying to 7 schools for MA/PhD in Musicology.

I have already received interview invitations from IU and CCM but I think I won't visit CCM.

I'm very nervous about funding. I cannot attend a school without pretty much full funding and a stipend, and my top choice right now is probably IU, which unfortunately charges by the credit (I'm the type who compulsively takes more classes than necessary). I'd prefer to attend a school with high quality performance/lesson opportunities, but I may have to make sacrifices.

I've spent what feels like a huge amount of money applying to 7 schools for MA/PhD in Musicology.

I have already received interview invitations from IU and CCM but I think I won't visit CCM.

I'm very nervous about funding. I cannot attend a school without pretty much full funding and a stipend, and my top choice right now is probably IU, which unfortunately charges by the credit (I'm the type who compulsively takes more classes than necessary). I'd prefer to attend a school with high quality performance/lesson opportunities, but I may have to make sacrifices.

Congrats, JSK!

Funding is also very important to me. I don't think I will go anywhere if I don't get it either. Which would be awful. Is there any particular reason for not visiting CCM? Even if it's not a top choice for you, interviewing might help you get admission and funding from there. If travelling expenses are keeping you back [it ain't cheap], then you could see if they're willing to help you out either with accommodation or travelling costs. It might be a long shot but it doesn't hurt to ask. If that doesn't work out you could also try to set up a phone interview. Just a few suggestions and hope you don't mind the unsolicited advice.

But I hear you about the cost of applying. I spent a small mountain of cash during the past 6 weeks. Much more than this month's rent.

It's great to see a few others here!

I still haven't heard anything yet. I think it's still too early for my schools... even for the ones I applied to that were due Dec. 1st. I know for sure that two of those start reviewing the applications only in January, and that the early deadline was for fellowship consideration [sort of like a priority deadline I guess].

I'm also applying to PhD programs for musicology. The thing I'm most nervous about right now is if my application is "complete" at each school. I was on the phone with half of them today to find out more about the situation!

Which schools are you all applying to?

I'm applying to 7:

[in alphabetical order] Florida State, Harvard, Ohio State, UC-Davis, U. Michigan-Ann Arbor, UNC-Chapel Hill, UT-Austin

Edited by Tex

I talked to a former student at CCM and it didn't seem like place I wanted to be at all, even though they give fabulous funding to those who get in. I'm actually considering asking for a phone interview, but judging by my past experiences with the admissions office, it would take them about a month to receive my email. If I don't get any good funding, I may just suck it up and go to the UW for a master's. The program's decent.

I'm glad to see someone else is applying to UC Davis! I decided to do it at the last minute on the recommendation of a professor who received his PhD there. It seems like a solid program with what seems like a very good record of placing people with assistantships/funding.

I talked to a former student at CCM and it didn't seem like place I wanted to be at all, even though they give fabulous funding to those who get in. I'm actually considering asking for a phone interview, but judging by my past experiences with the admissions office, it would take them about a month to receive my email. If I don't get any good funding, I may just suck it up and go to the UW for a master's. The program's decent.

If it's worth anything I did my undergrad at CCM. Any particular reason you didn't feel like it would be the place? I'm interested! I did like the school, but they certainly have some politics and scheduling issues that they are going to have to work out in the next few years.

The results page seems to be flooded with science majors only haha. Well I haven't heard anything yet but a friend of mine got accepted to Wisconsin today for musicology.

How did you friend find out? I applied too but haven't heard anything. Then again, WA is kind of far from WI if they use snail mail. I'm just trying to organize a visit, but don't want to organize it and then find out I didn't get in.

I talked to two former CCM Musicology students and they warned against about half of the professors and a terrible vibe within the department.

How did you friend find out? I applied too but haven't heard anything. Then again, WA is kind of far from WI if they use snail mail. I'm just trying to organize a visit, but don't want to organize it and then find out I didn't get in.

I talked to two former CCM Musicology students and they warned against about half of the professors and a terrible vibe within the department.

She found out through snail mail. But it turns out she applied there for theory not musicology. I guess that the musicology department probably hasn't made their decisions yet.

I have also just spent more money than I ever though possible applying to 7 different grad programs, and I too have received an interview invitation from IU, but no further communication since then. Hopefully we will start hearing back a little more soon....

I have also just spent more money than I ever though possible applying to 7 different grad programs, and I too have received an interview invitation from IU, but no further communication since then. Hopefully we will start hearing back a little more soon....

When is your interview? If it's February 4th, I'll be sure to introduce myself.