Applying for Fall 2011

Melchior

When is your interview? If it's February 4th, I'll be sure to introduce myself.

I believe it was originally scheduled to be February 4th, but unfortunately (at least for grad school app purpose) I am currently living and working abroad, and will not be able to attend any of these interviews. I am hoping that I can convince schools that they want to have a phone/skype interview, and that it won't hurt my chances of getting in.

Good luck to you, though!

Good luck everyone this year. Last year I didn't get great financial offers so I declined everything and focused on work. Hopefully this year will go well.

So far Yale first round should come around the last week of January. Pretty scary...

I believe it was originally scheduled to be February 4th, but unfortunately (at least for grad school app purpose) I am currently living and working abroad, and will not be able to attend any of these interviews. I am hoping that I can convince schools that they want to have a phone/skype interview, and that it won't hurt my chances of getting in.

Good luck to you, though!

If it makes you feel any better, I couldn't visit one of my lower-choice schools on the interview date for financial reasons, so they're letting me do a phone interview. Not as prestigous a program as IU's though. Good luck!

Hej!

Tex, congrats on getting all your apps in! I'm just finishing up one last one with a January 15 deadline (Cornell), then the real waiting begins... several Ph.D. musicology programs, and two M.A.s as well.

JSK, maybe we'll end up meeting at UW. I'm attracted to the program for several reasons, and it would also be nice to stay local (Washington), though it would mean further Ph.D. applications down the road.

Anyone hear about interviews for Eastman yet? Musicology applicant here, focus on contemporary music. I know they alert applicants pretty early if they've made the first cut.

Also applied: WashU, CUNY and SUNY Stony Brook. Expect to hear early to mid-Feb from UW and CUNY. Seems like Stony Brook takes it's time, if past years are any indication.

Anyone hear about interviews for Eastman yet? Musicology applicant here, focus on contemporary music. I know they alert applicants pretty early if they've made the first cut.

Hello. I'm also a musicology applicant and I've received an interview invitation from Eastman! I hope you've also got it, and if so, I'll be looking forward to meeting you.

I'm applying for ethnomusicology. Any other ethnoids out there? Or Canadians?

I'm finishing my M.A. in Alberta, and trying to move up into one of the big schools in the States: Chicago, Penn, Harvard, Indiana, UIUC. I'm also applying at Alberta and Toronto. Some "reach" schools and at least one almost sure bet (though with funding as it is, who knows).

I got rejected from some of these schools 2 years ago, but I'm trusting that my newly acquired theoretical knowledge has improved my statement of purpose and writing samples--the comparison seems pretty stark to me when I look back at my older stuff. Plus I have one big conference presentation now. GRE and GPA scores aren't any different, so I'm glad that they aren't the only things taken into account, though I think mine were competitive last time I tried.

Hey there,

I'm also applying to ethno programs, one in Canada (UBC) and four in the states (UT-Austin, UC-Berkeley, UC-Riverside, and Brown). My background's a B.A. in Music and French. I have ethno research experience (my own project and as a research assistant) and competitive GPA/GRE scores. However, I've never been published or presented at a conference.

No news yet one way or another, although UBC's deadline is not until January 31st, so I might be waiting a while to hear back from that program.

Also, someone mentioned the exhorbitant cost of applying to seven grad schools. Even applying to five programs I feel like I have spent a fortune! I'm currently living abroad on a teaching assistant salary, so I've had to make some real sacrifices to pay for the application process. I honestly don't think I would have been able to afford applying to even one more school, so hopefully I don't have to repeat this process next year...

I applied to CUNY GC musicology, and got an email from a professor the day after Christmas, saying he's missing my writing sample...

He said he was just "reading through" app. materials, so I'm not sure if that was part of the official action or just his own.

(btw... I thought I uploaded my writing sample through the online app, so if it wasn't him I would have never sent them my writing... thank god. )

So an inside source told me that the Graduate Center is already reviewing applications and starting to make decisions. Anyone apply there?

I ended up not applying to PhD's this year, will apply next year. I instead just applied for the MPhil in Music at Cambridge, and the MMus in Music at Southampton, Holloway, and King's London. I decided to go for Cambridge next year... now just trying to find a way to pay for it!! unsure.gif Good luck to all!

I only discovered thegradcafe 30 minutes ago. I've been missing out!

I'm applying for a Ph.D. in musicology (sometimes ethno, sometimes theory, depending on the school) at Harvard, Cornell, Brown, and NYU (GSAS). And the MM at NYU Steinhardt in Music Technology.

I'm bracing myself for 5 rejection letters/emails/phone-calls, but I had a dream I was accepted at NYU, and it got my hopes up :(.

I was just accepted to present some of my work at a conference and I wonder how annoying it would be to send an updated CV? I'm still trying to find out if everyone's received my writing sample (I had to mail it because it has a CD supplement). I'm pulling my hair out over here...

Hey there,

I'm also applying to ethno programs, one in Canada (UBC) and four in the states (UT-Austin, UC-Berkeley, UC-Riverside, and Brown). My background's a B.A. in Music and French. I have ethno research experience (my own project and as a research assistant) and competitive GPA/GRE scores. However, I've never been published or presented at a conference.

No news yet one way or another, although UBC's deadline is not until January 31st, so I might be waiting a while to hear back from that program.

Also, someone mentioned the exhorbitant cost of applying to seven grad schools. Even applying to five programs I feel like I have spent a fortune! I'm currently living abroad on a teaching assistant salary, so I've had to make some real sacrifices to pay for the application process. I honestly don't think I would have been able to afford applying to even one more school, so hopefully I don't have to repeat this process next year...

Trust me, I know where you're coming from- I was living abroad on a teaching assistant salary last year, and this year am living abroad on an au pair salary! The only thing that enabled me to apply to all 7 was the full-time job I had Starbucks for a few months over the summer/fall.

I see your B.A. was in Music and French, I don't suppose we're living abroad in the same country?

By the way, my seven schools are: Case Western, Indiana, Boston, Brandeis, U of Oregon, McGill, and UPenn

Hi, everyone! I just wanted to say good luck. I went through this horrible process of applying and then waiting for decisions last year. After much agonizing, I decided on CUNY for PhD Ethno. For anyone who applied to CUNY, decisions come out really soon. They usually interview prospective students the first or second week of February and letters come out shortly afterwards. I found out unofficially from the professors who had interviewed me the second week of February.

The one piece of advice that I do have to give is about funding. Whatever your acceptance letter is, it is a first offer. There is no reason why you can't negotiate for a better package: often, the funding offer might be from the university as a whole instead of the department or school of music. Call and talk to someone, whether it is the dean of your department or anyone at financial aid. If they want you to come, they will find a way to make the package more attractive. Trust me. No matter how the conversation goes, they probably can't take back your acceptance letter or lower whatever offer they have already made. I did this with each program that accepted me, and it worked out very, very well.

Trust me, I know where you're coming from- I was living abroad on a teaching assistant salary last year, and this year am living abroad on an au pair salary! The only thing that enabled me to apply to all 7 was the full-time job I had Starbucks for a few months over the summer/fall.

I see your B.A. was in Music and French, I don't suppose we're living abroad in the same country?

By the way, my seven schools are: Case Western, Indiana, Boston, Brandeis, U of Oregon, McGill, and UPenn

Hey! Let me know if you hear anything from UO. I'm applying there as well for composition.

Just got an email from Cornell, telling me thanks for applying and they'd let me know if they needed any more materials from me. MINI HEART ATTACK! Gmail shows the first few words of an email next the subject before you open it, so all I saw was "Dear [name]: Thank you for applying..." and could only think "REJECTED ALREADY!!"

Just got an email from Cornell, telling me thanks for applying and they'd let me know if they needed any more materials from me. MINI HEART ATTACK! Gmail shows the first few words of an email next the subject before you open it, so all I saw was "Dear [name]: Thank you for applying..." and could only think "REJECTED ALREADY!!"

I got an identical message just now, too. Looks like they're getting underway! Yipes...

yep me too... they're pretty quick considering that the deadline was Jan 15th..

Checked my spam folder last night & had an email from UIUC. My application is "impressive" & they will be making me an offer of admission--but they're advising me to apply for as much outside funding as possible, as they can't confirm any financial stuff right now. So we'll see what happens!

Checked my spam folder last night & had an email from UIUC. My application is "impressive" & they will be making me an offer of admission--but they're advising me to apply for as much outside funding as possible, as they can't confirm any financial stuff right now. So we'll see what happens!

Congratulations!!