Applying for Fall 2011

Melchior

It looks like I won't be interviewing at Indiana after all. I'm trapped visiting another school because of a huge storm and I cannot afford to go next week instead and buy a new flight home and miss another week of classes.

It looks like I won't be interviewing at Indiana after all. I'm trapped visiting another school because of a huge storm and I cannot afford to go next week instead and buy a new flight home and miss another week of classes.

Yipes. Is there a way for you to interview by phone/skype and still be considered, I hope?

Yipes. Is there a way for you to interview by phone/skype and still be considered, I hope?

I think so, but they're probably going to be less likely to give me funding, which is more important. They've been a little anal and have implored me multiple times to change my flights, but I'm not sure they really understand that I'm already 1500 miles away from home and that one of my airlines would not reschedule my rather expensive flight back west for later.

Hi, everyone! I just wanted to say good luck. I went through this horrible process of applying and then waiting for decisions last year. After much agonizing, I decided on CUNY for PhD Ethno. For anyone who applied to CUNY, decisions come out really soon. They usually interview prospective students the first or second week of February and letters come out shortly afterwards. I found out unofficially from the professors who had interviewed me the second week of February.

The one piece of advice that I do have to give is about funding. Whatever your acceptance letter is, it is a first offer. There is no reason why you can't negotiate for a better package: often, the funding offer might be from the university as a whole instead of the department or school of music. Call and talk to someone, whether it is the dean of your department or anyone at financial aid. If they want you to come, they will find a way to make the package more attractive. Trust me. No matter how the conversation goes, they probably can't take back your acceptance letter or lower whatever offer they have already made. I did this with each program that accepted me, and it worked out very, very well.

Any advice on how to enter in to these negotiations? My top choice is McGill for musicology, but they don't offer Americans much by the way of funding... I am fortunate to not have undergrad loans to pay off, but I have very little funds and I am aware that I may not have a job right after I get finish my PhD.

I only applied to three schools. Every told me how risky that was, but my uncommon specialty limited my choices.

U Penn: Anthropology of Music

Pitt: Ethnomusicology

McGill

I just heard from McGill online :) waiting for my offical packet to come in the mail! Any one hear from U Penn of Pitt? I didn't see anything on their websites about interviews. Anyone hear anything?

I only applied to three schools. Every told me how risky that was, but my uncommon specialty limited my choices.

Congrats on McGill! I haven't heard anything from anybody, although I didn't apply to any of your schools. It's driving me crazy. What's your specialty?

Hi, everyone! I just wanted to say good luck. I went through this horrible process of applying and then waiting for decisions last year. After much agonizing, I decided on CUNY for PhD Ethno. For anyone who applied to CUNY, decisions come out really soon. They usually interview prospective students the first or second week of February and letters come out shortly afterwards. I found out unofficially from the professors who had interviewed me the second week of February.

The one piece of advice that I do have to give is about funding. Whatever your acceptance letter is, it is a first offer. There is no reason why you can't negotiate for a better package: often, the funding offer might be from the university as a whole instead of the department or school of music. Call and talk to someone, whether it is the dean of your department or anyone at financial aid. If they want you to come, they will find a way to make the package more attractive. Trust me. No matter how the conversation goes, they probably can't take back your acceptance letter or lower whatever offer they have already made. I did this with each program that accepted me, and it worked out very, very well.

Hi! So I have an interview at the Grad Center this weekend. Could you give me some advice on how to prepare? What kinds of questions did they ask you etc. I applied for musicology. Any help will be appreciated!

Congrats on McGill! I haven't heard anything from anybody, although I didn't apply to any of your schools. It's driving me crazy. What's your specialty?

Thanks!

I'm primarily researching Slavonic music and music written during the Holocaust.

So I just found out that Penn didn't get my transcript. I saw something was missing, but it didn't say what. The site said it can take weeks to update everything. I just followed up to double check and they told me not to resend it because they are already reading applications. I asked if I could send a pdf of a transcript I have (I had to get a copy with the registrar's seal for my Fulbright application), but I haven't heard back... Anyone have something similar happen? Do I still have a chance or am I weeded out?

So I just found out that Penn didn't get my transcript. I saw something was missing, but it didn't say what. The site said it can take weeks to update everything. I just followed up to double check and they told me not to resend it because they are already reading applications. I asked if I could send a pdf of a transcript I have (I had to get a copy with the registrar's seal for my Fulbright application), but I haven't heard back... Anyone have something similar happen? Do I still have a chance or am I weeded out?

You know, Penn's site still says that my application is incomplete, and the only thing listed as missing is the transcript. Their instructions specifically say that international students may upload a transcript instead of mailing it in (official transcripts will be required only upon admission). I did upload the transcript but contacted the department to doublecheck that this was OK, and the answer was affirmative (if a little annoyed in tone...might be reading too much into that though). Given that this option's available for international students, you'd think they might permit it for nationals too. It would be nice if they'd let you email it in and not take you out of consideration, but I really have no clue what they'll end up doing.

I had never heard of GradCafe until yesterday when I got an unofficial letter from Princeton. Has anyone else heard from them?

I also applied to Yale, which has a deadline just two days after Princeton, and am getting antsy.

I also applied to Cornell and have communicated with them about some aspects of my application (the website wouldn't allow me to upload all docs), but have not heard anything regarding admissions.

Anyone heard from Yale or Cornell?

I had never heard of GradCafe until yesterday when I got an unofficial letter from Princeton. Has anyone else heard from them?

I also applied to Yale, which has a deadline just two days after Princeton, and am getting antsy.

I also applied to Cornell and have communicated with them about some aspects of my application (the website wouldn't allow me to upload all docs), but have not heard anything regarding admissions.

Anyone heard from Yale or Cornell?

Hej and welcome!

From Cornell I only have that same generic "we-received-your-application" e-mail that's been mentioned in the thread. For Yale, someone posted in the results thread on Feb 4 that they had gotten an interview (theory Ph.D.), with phone interviews that week and decisions "shortly after Feb 17". Since I haven't heard a thing from them, I'm assuming I didn't get in. Good luck to you, though! Did your unofficial letter from Princeton have good news, I hope?

Anyone have any news at all from Northwestern, Berkeley, U of Washington or U of Iowa, by any chance?

Hej and welcome!

From Cornell I only have that same generic "we-received-your-application" e-mail that's been mentioned in the thread. For Yale, someone posted in the results thread on Feb 4 that they had gotten an interview (theory Ph.D.), with phone interviews that week and decisions "shortly after Feb 17". Since I haven't heard a thing from them, I'm assuming I didn't get in. Good luck to you, though! Did your unofficial letter from Princeton have good news, I hope?

Anyone have any news at all from Northwestern, Berkeley, U of Washington or U of Iowa, by any chance?

Boo! That makes me sad. Yale was my top choice. I guess I am out of the running since I have not been contacted?

I can't find the Feb 4th post re: Yale and I searched for Yale under this topic with no results about that. Can you copy and paste what you found?

Here it is : [Yale University Music Theory, PhD (F11 )Interview via E-mail on 4 Feb 2011 A 4 Feb 2011 OMG OMG OMG OMG!! Okay, got that out of the way. E-mailed by dept. and told I was one of "almost 20 finalists (out of 125 applicants). They will accept 8 this year. Asked to schedule phone interview this week. Decisions will be sent out "shortly after Feb 17."]

Keep in mind that this is for music theory. I'm not sure how they do things at Yale, but they might have different committees and timetables for Theory and Musicology.

Here it is : [Yale University Music Theory, PhD (F11 )Interview via E-mail on 4 Feb 2011 A 4 Feb 2011 OMG OMG OMG OMG!! Okay, got that out of the way. E-mailed by dept. and told I was one of "almost 20 finalists (out of 125 applicants). They will accept 8 this year. Asked to schedule phone interview this week. Decisions will be sent out "shortly after Feb 17."]

Keep in mind that this is for music theory. I'm not sure how they do things at Yale, but they might have different committees and timetables for Theory and Musicology.

Thanks for finding this. Unfortunately, the committee is all the same. However, I emailed someone at Yale who said they are "late in coming to decisions this year." I did already interview with them last fall, so maybe they haven't contact those who have interviewed? Who knows.

Okay, so I got a rejection letter in the mail from Cornell today. Standard, short, impersonal letter. Wow, I was expecting rejection, but not this early. I didn't think I'd get into any of the schools I applied to but I was hoping to get at least further than the first round of rejections. :(

Okay, so I got a rejection letter in the mail from Cornell today. Standard, short, impersonal letter. Wow, I was expecting rejection, but not this early. I didn't think I'd get into any of the schools I applied to but I was hoping to get at least further than the first round of rejections. :(

Sorry to hear that -- hang in there.

(That means I'll be checking the mail for my own rejection now, too. Thanks for letting us know -- the only thing worse than rejection is the waiting, and it's nice to know what's coming, at least.)