Applying for Fall 2011

Melchior

Okay, so I got a rejection letter in the mail from Cornell today. Standard, short, impersonal letter. Wow, I was expecting rejection, but not this early. I didn't think I'd get into any of the schools I applied to but I was hoping to get at least further than the first round of rejections. :(

I got one too and I know of at least one more person who did as well, so you're not alone. It does suck though.

If it helps, I live about 5 hours' drive from Cornell and the letter was postmarked February 10th.

Sorry to hear that -- hang in there.

(That means I'll be checking the mail for my own rejection now, too. Thanks for letting us know -- the only thing worse than rejection is the waiting, and it's nice to know what's coming, at least.)

Well I hope you get an acceptance call instead!

Here it is : [Yale University Music Theory, PhD (F11 )Interview via E-mail on 4 Feb 2011 A 4 Feb 2011 OMG OMG OMG OMG!! Okay, got that out of the way. E-mailed by dept. and told I was one of "almost 20 finalists (out of 125 applicants). They will accept 8 this year. Asked to schedule phone interview this week. Decisions will be sent out "shortly after Feb 17."]

Keep in mind that this is for music theory. I'm not sure how they do things at Yale, but they might have different committees and timetables for Theory and Musicology.

I applied there for musicology also and they just sent me an e-mail telling me they never got my scores and to send them as soon as possible, because they're looking at the applications now. That means that the musicology department hasn't made the decision yet!

Ack! How did I miss this folder!? I've been stalking the "waiting it out" folder.

I see there are some others applying to Penn. Any news yet!? I'm going nuts. I've only heard back from Boston with an accept, but their coffers are shallow. :(

Ack! How did I miss this folder!? I've been stalking the "waiting it out" folder.

I see there are some others applying to Penn. Any news yet!? I'm going nuts. I've only heard back from Boston with an accept, but their coffers are shallow. :(

I've heard nothing back from Penn- nor from Boston, unfortunately! Did they call you by any chance? I am thinking my responses might be a little slow to reach me as I'm currently abroad and they will have to either email me or send it through the old-fashioned mail across the ocean....congratulations on getting into BU, at any rate!

Just read the note from the person who got Full-Ride PHD in Yale. Congrats! That is a big accomplishment.

I have two things in my mind:

1) Has anyone heard from UT Austin (preferably composition applicants. Could it be that they already contacted their candides and wait-lists?)

2) How come this topic has been hijacked by musicology people only? Where are all the others? :)

Cheers

Hi All -- Waiting to hear back from NYU for the Master's in Music Technology. Has anyone heard from that program? My application was complete November 1 but I'm still in the dark! I also tried the NetID thing, which let me activate one, however I have "no roles defined" when trying to log into 'NYU Home' for instance. From what I've gathered I don't really think this means anything definite... Come on NYU!

Hi All -- Waiting to hear back from NYU for the Master's in Music Technology. Has anyone heard from that program? My application was complete November 1 but I'm still in the dark! I also tried the NetID thing, which let me activate one, however I have "no roles defined" when trying to log into 'NYU Home' for instance. From what I've gathered I don't really think this means anything definite... Come on NYU!

I also applied for the Master's in Music Technology, but I didn't submit mine until February 1st. Did you ever get an email from them after you submitted, saying your application was complete? (I haven't heard anything at all, just the obligatory "thanks for submitting your app" when I submitted).

I DID try the netID thing, and had the same deal as you---able to activate, but "no roles define". So I don't think it means anything. I applied to GSAS as well so I'm incredibly confused.

Okay, so while writing this I got scared and this is what the website for Steinhardt says:

"PLEASE check the online system to confirm that you have successfully submitted your application. Due to the volume of applications and related materials received the Office of Graduate Admissions will only contact you if your application is deemed INCOMPLETE because of missing required materials. Otherwise you will hear from us when the Admissions Committee has made a decision."

I don't expect to hear anything from them until March at least.

@snes ....... I never received an email from Steinhardt confirming that my application was complete, I guess it's more that I haven't heard otherwise from them, haha. I tried contacting their admissions to confirm but was pretty much blown off. ("... we kindly ask that you refrain from contacting us regarding the receipt or the status of your application or any miscellaneous materials that have been sent in separately from your online application.")

March results seem likely... well... I'll keep my fingers crossed anyway!

I've heard nothing back from Penn- nor from Boston, unfortunately! Did they call you by any chance? I am thinking my responses might be a little slow to reach me as I'm currently abroad and they will have to either email me or send it through the old-fashioned mail across the ocean....congratulations on getting into BU, at any rate!

Yes, j e remy y ud kin called me. Still nothing from Penn. I don't know how the heck I can afford BU, though. This is going to take some creativity.

Yes, j e remy y ud kin called me. Still nothing from Penn. I don't know how the heck I can afford BU, though. This is going to take some creativity.

I think a few places are just slow this year. Storms closed a lot of places right after people are getting in the "work mode" after being away during the holidays. I think people are just slow in processing.

It's hard to relax - I certainly am a bit anxious despite one already great offer from Princeton - however, just because you're waiting doesn't mean it's a "no."

Just read the note from the person who got Full-Ride PHD in Yale. Congrats! That is a big accomplishment.

I have two things in my mind:

1) Has anyone heard from UT Austin (preferably composition applicants. Could it be that they already contacted their candides and wait-lists?)

2) How come this topic has been hijacked by musicology people only? Where are all the others? :)

Cheers

I am a comp applicant and I haven't heard anything back from ut either. I had a brief email convo about a month ago with a faculty member who said they planned on beginning notifications shortly after that conversation, so I'm also thinking the same as you. Who knows though!

I think a few places are just slow this year. Storms closed a lot of places right after people are getting in the "work mode" after being away during the holidays. I think people are just slow in processing.

It's hard to relax - I certainly am a bit anxious despite one already great offer from Princeton - however, just because you're waiting doesn't mean it's a "no."

Congrats on Princeton! I attended there as an undergrad and loved the department.

Yea, I feel like barfing. Ha! Congrats on the P'ton accept, though. That's great!

And I've heard that Harvard doesn't get back to you 'til March. GAH!!! I sure hope I don't have to wait that much longer, bc right now a day is like 1000 years.

I am a comp applicant and I haven't heard anything back from ut either. I had a brief email convo about a month ago with a faculty member who said they planned on beginning notifications shortly after that conversation, so I'm also thinking the same as you. Who knows though!

Then I am 99% sure that they made their offers already. I somehow dislike the practice most places are adopting, that is notifying early acceptances. Anyhow the only hope for us is if UT Austin does it like Brandeis did last year. First they made their acceptances, and were waiting to hear from them before contacting any wait-listed applicant. I actually got to know I was wait-Listing purely by chance.

What can I say, GOOD LUCK TO BOTH OF US!

Has anyone applied/heard anything from Brandeis yet?

I'm at Brandeis right now, and I talked to Eric Chafe the other day. He said they are coming close to their decisions; they're offering two regular admissions to the PhD program and offering a President's scholarship to a third. Of course, this school sometimes waits to notify until the very last minute (I didn't hear until around the first or second week of March).

Best of luck!

Joel

I'm at Brandeis right now, and I talked to Eric Chafe the other day. He said they are coming close to their decisions; they're offering two regular admissions to the PhD program and offering a President's scholarship to a third. Of course, this school sometimes waits to notify until the very last minute (I didn't hear until around the first or second week of March).

Best of luck!

Joel

Is that for the Masters program, that they tend to delay in their responses? I am so impatient right now- still waiting on 6 out of my 7 schools, and pretty excited about Brandeis' program....

Best of luck!

Joel

Thanks! I wonder how many they will admit to the MA program (I applied for the joint degree with Gender Studies).

Thanks! I wonder how many they will admit to the MA program (I applied for the joint degree with Gender Studies).

The number of master's students has gone up the past few years, in an effort to help the school recoup some losses related to the Madoff scandal. This year I think they took 6 musicology MA/MFA folks.

Best of luck everyone! I'll look forward to meeting some of you next year perhaps :)