Hunter Silberman Fall 2022

SRmsw

Starting a new thread because I can't find one! I applied and got into Uchicago, columbia, NYu and some others last year and chose to attend NYU but the tuition was insane and the program was just alright. Now im reapplying to CUNY's like Hunter & Lehman and UBuffalo because they're still great schools and much cheaper. But everyone's experience is different! Starting this thread for Hunter/Silberman updates because that's my top choice

Edited by SRmsw
mispelling

• SRmsw changed the title to Hunter Silberman Fall 2022
On 2/8/2022 at 10:53 AM, domiirose28 said:

I am in Hunters BSW program currently, and I would suggest you stay away at all costs from Hunters programs. It is affordable, but within the last few years, Hunters SSW has gone down hill. They are not what they used to be pre-covid. 

Can you please speak more to how the quality has declined?

2 hours ago, blueberryxyz said:

Can you please speak more to how the quality has declined?

My first year in the program, they could not find any field placements for probably half of the students. We were having to do alternative assignments without any guidance on it. Now during the second year, about 80% of us are in placements but the 20% who are without placements are facing not being able to graduate. They are refusing to give alternative assignments. But those without placements are not able to look for placements themselves. So its due to the programs own negligence that these people wont graduate. We have advisors for our field placements and in order to apply for Hunters MSW program, our advisors are supposed to submit an evaluation to the school (this also goes for columbia and NYU) however I'm not sure if these advisors have submitted it for anyone. This is why I had to pull back applying to Columbia's priority deadline. My professor in my second semester probably taught one full class, and we had a meeting with the dean of the program who pretty much just stood up for the professor who never showed up. The dean of the program also told a student "you need to listen" while pointing at her ears because the student asked a clarifying question. There is so much wrong with the program and those who run the program. I'm not entirely sure if it is the same for the MSW program. I do know that the MSW students have protested against the school in 2020 for how they were handling situations. 

• 2 weeks later...

On 2/9/2022 at 1:51 PM, domiirose28 said:

My first year in the program, they could not find any field placements for probably half of the students. We were having to do alternative assignments without any guidance on it. Now during the second year, about 80% of us are in placements but the 20% who are without placements are facing not being able to graduate. They are refusing to give alternative assignments. But those without placements are not able to look for placements themselves. So its due to the programs own negligence that these people wont graduate. We have advisors for our field placements and in order to apply for Hunters MSW program, our advisors are supposed to submit an evaluation to the school (this also goes for columbia and NYU) however I'm not sure if these advisors have submitted it for anyone. This is why I had to pull back applying to Columbia's priority deadline. My professor in my second semester probably taught one full class, and we had a meeting with the dean of the program who pretty much just stood up for the professor who never showed up. The dean of the program also told a student "you need to listen" while pointing at her ears because the student asked a clarifying question. There is so much wrong with the program and those who run the program. I'm not entirely sure if it is the same for the MSW program. I do know that the MSW students have protested against the school in 2020 for how they were handling situations. 

I'm sorry you had that experience! That's really frustrating, I hope they get things figured out for next year. Because of the price difference of the programs in the city, I am still hoping to go to Hunter ?

I applied 1/20, and my application was completed 2/2 (after emailing them). Has anyone else heard back?

On 2/18/2022 at 8:17 AM, blueberryxyz said:

I'm sorry you had that experience! That's really frustrating, I hope they get things figured out for next year. Because of the price difference of the programs in the city, I am still hoping to go to Hunter ?

I applied 1/20, and my application was completed 2/2 (after emailing them). Has anyone else heard back?

I am also awaiting my admission response from Hunter. Just like you, the less expensive cost is really drawing me to the program. But it is very disheartening to hear that this program seems to have these organizational issues. I would love to hear from current Hunter MSW students about their experience. 

Application summited 1/3, application completed 2/7 (all supporting documents submitted) and received email of acceptance on 2/24 (Advanced Standing).

I was told that they require an interview but it was not the case for me.

I was also accepted into Touro College's MSW (Advanced standing too) a week ago. I'm undecided at this time.

I only applied for Hunter, Touro and Lehman because of their cheap costs of attendance. 

Good luck to anybody waiting for an admission decision. 

18 minutes ago, pinklish said:

Hi there!  Has anyone received a decision or interview from Hunter/CUNY?  I submitted on 1/28 but haven't heard anything.

I submitted 1/20, received an email to sign up for an interview on Monday 2/28, and have my interview tomorrow 3/3!

I applied on 1/31 and my application also says submitted. I emailed admissions last week and they told me generally they don’t mark apps as completed but that mine is being reviewed. Based on others timelines I’m hoping to hear something next week. 

Edited by pbutter

• 2 weeks later...

I submitted my application on 1/14 and received an email about attending an interview last week. They gave several slot options (on eventbrite lol) and I chose the closest one that wasn't already full, which is tomorrow at 10:15am. I'm super nervous and prepping now!

• 2 weeks later...

In case anyone else finds this helpful:

1/20 Submitted 

2/2 Emailed to see if I needed anything else for my application to be marked as complete

2/2 Application marked as complete

2/21 Checked portal and it said "pending interview"

2/25 Emailed to see if I had to do anything and they said I will receive an email to sign up for an interview in the upcoming days

2/28 Received email to sign up for interview

3/3 Had interview

3/23 Asked admissions when I'd hear back and they said "very soon"

3/29 Heard back and was accepted!

I'm very excited and relieved this process is over. Good luck to everyone else :)

On 3/30/2022 at 6:58 PM, pbutter said:

congrats blueberry!!! i got my interview notification today (after sending an email). signed up for tuesday. i’m nervous!

I wouldn’t be too worried. My interview was really easy and relaxed. The interviewer spent the first 20 mins calming everyone down. She asked us 3 questions- 1) why social work? 2) how do we socially identify and how might that impact our work? 3) an ethical question. It wasn’t like an intense job interview. 

15 hours ago, Ph0enix said:

I wouldn’t be too worried. My interview was really easy and relaxed. The interviewer spent the first 20 mins calming everyone down. She asked us 3 questions- 1) why social work? 2) how do we socially identify and how might that impact our work? 3) an ethical question. It wasn’t like an intense job interview. 

thank you for the reassurance and info :) and huge congrats on your acceptance! 

@pbutter 

if you don’t hear back in a or two week, you should email them asking for an update. I had my interview in February and got my acceptance a few days ago. I emailed them requesting an update and the next  day, someone from admissions emailed me and by the end of day, I got my acceptance.