CMU - Converting a waitlist into an admit

apply1234

Question

I recently got waitlisted at an extremely competitive STEM program at CMU's School of Computer Science. I am an international applicant. I received the decision a few days after others got their waitlist and admit decisions. I'm not sure how this translates into where I'm situated on the waitlist "stack".

I understand the chances of an admit from the waitlist are slim, but do you believe I could do anything in the next two months that will make an admit more probable? A few friends in their undergrad suggested I mail them once every few weeks to show my continued interest. But I don't want to cross the line between being eager and being desperate. What do you think?

3 answers to this question

I understand it's nerve-wracking and there's a lot of anxiety at this time, but all there is for you to do is wait. If/when a person declines their offer, the program will offer admission to the next person on thr waitlist, and so on. The only time to contact them is to inform them you want to be taken off the waitlist, such as if you've accepted an offer elsewhere. They know you are interested by the fact you have paid them an application fee and put together said application. Emailing them every few weeks won't change your status one way or the other but may make the adcomms roll their eyes whenever they see your name. 

4 hours ago, PsyDuck90 said:

I understand it's nerve-wracking and there's a lot of anxiety at this time, but all there is for you to do is wait. If/when a person declines their offer, the program will offer admission to the next person on thr waitlist, and so on. The only time to contact them is to inform them you want to be taken off the waitlist, such as if you've accepted an offer elsewhere. They know you are interested by the fact you have paid them an application fee and put together said application. Emailing them every few weeks won't change your status one way or the other but may make the adcomms roll their eyes whenever they see your name. 

Yup makes sense.

I totally get it. I open my email every day to draft that 'please admit me I dream about attending your program' message but I know I have to hold myself back. I'm so happy for those who have been accepted into the program as they totally deserve it. But it doesn't stop that little stab of disappointment every day that they get a notification and I don't. You're not alone.

Edited by BuddingMagnolia