Hearing Back After Masters Application Submission

Duh_Divinity

Has anyone heard back from schools yet? I have heard from 3.

Acceptance at one. Required interview for all applicants following preliminary review of application at another. Interview for full tuition scholarship at third. 

Do Yale or Duke (online program) do any interviews for scholarships?

• 2 weeks later...

The waiting game is starting to get to me. Haha. I have been pretty relaxed up until this week. Another applicant mentioned that some schools said decisions will be released sooner than March 15th. I didn't apply to the school in question, but I am wondering what other schools are planning. Just starting to get anxious and wondering if anyone has heard back from their chosen schools. I have heard from two schools, both were a few weeks ago. 

5 hours ago, camelears said:

The waiting game is starting to get to me. Haha. I have been pretty relaxed up until this week. Another applicant mentioned that some schools said decisions will be released sooner than March 15th. I didn't apply to the school in question, but I am wondering what other schools are planning. Just starting to get anxious and wondering if anyone has heard back from their chosen schools. I have heard from two schools, both were a few weeks ago. 

I'm pretty anxious, too! Everything feels so up in the air. I've also heard some schools say earlier than March 15th (Vanderbilt might have suggested first week of March but I can't remember?). But honestly, I'm just pretending March 15th is the date for all schools so I don't feel quite as anxious.

14 minutes ago, camelears said:

Duke released decisions. I got in. It was one of my top picks, but they offered little funding. I'll have to see what else comes in from other schools and my external scholarship apps. 

I'm in the same boat. They offered me about what I expected. I'm still considering because Anathea Portier-Young is faculty there and she is one of my favorite scholars. But if I get a better offer from one of my three other top picks, I probably wouldn't choose Duke.

I read in a forum from last admissions cycle that someone asked Duke for more funding and was declined. I was offered 50% for their MTS program. I might try to make an appeal as people start getting in elsewhere and declining Duke for 75% which was really what I was hoping for.

I applied to Duke's hybrid/online program as opposed to their residential program. I know that their hybrid is more competitive. In an online session they said they only have 7 students in it out of over 100 applicants (I think they said like 170+ applicants, but really can't remember). I do recall thinking how I probably won't get in with those slim stats. 

Since the hybrid is more selective and people applying to it have limited options concerning similar hybrid options I am wondering if Duke holds back on scholarships and aid because they know how unique the option is. I mean if I go the hybrid route, Duke is the only option I am really interested in. Other schools just don't offer this option. Has anyone received financial aid information from Duke yet? 

I went back and reread my letter. My offer states it is for scholarship. It says nothing about financial aid to come or anything. But even if I get the max loan and grants, which I don't want to do any loans at all, I don't think I can cover tuition. I will probably just accept one of the other offers that cover tuition and offer a stipend. 

3 minutes ago, Duh_Divinity said:

I went back and reread my letter. My offer states it is for scholarship. It says nothing about financial aid to come or anything. But even if I get the max loan and grants, which I don't want to do any loans at all, I don't think I can cover tuition. I will probably just accept one of the other offers that cover tuition and offer a stipend. 

What are your other offers, if I may ask? I know one of the things to consider when it comes to how much you're willing to take out for loans is whether the program gives you the best chances at getting into a PhD program.

Everyone has offered to cover tuition- I have heard from 3. However, I really need the hybrid program. The other hybrid programs do not offer the best chance at getting into a good phd program, in my opinion and for my situation. 

Edited by Duh_Divinity

3 minutes ago, Duh_Divinity said:

Everyone has offered to cover tuition- I have heard from 3. However, I really need the hybrid program. The other hybrid programs do not offer the best chance at getting into a good phd program, in my opinion and for my situation. 

There are probably external financial aid things to apply for, but I think Duke's offer is the final offer based on the financial aid info on their website. It says financial aid comes with the admissions letter. I don't know though, might be worth asking about if you want.

19 minutes ago, Duh_Divinity said:

Where on the website does it say this? I missed that. 

Hm, I may be confusing what it says about scholarships with financial aid. I am confused now, too, because Duke does not have a separate financial aid application like YDS and HDS. We will probably have to contact admissions to ask.

6 minutes ago, aalena75 said:

Hm, I may be confusing what it says about scholarships with financial aid. I am confused now, too, because Duke does not have a separate financial aid application like YDS and HDS. We will probably have to contact admissions to ask.

They don't,  but they do have applicants submit the fafsa. 

Yes, but I wonder who is reviewing our FAFSA's? I guess I don't understand whether we will be offered anything more based on that or if it's just for loans. I filed independent and have no income so if we get anything need-based...

Okay, I think I understand. They will offer need-based unsubsidized and subsidized loans, but I found something in a PDF about financial aid saying "all institutional scholarships are awarded at time of admission" so I think this means they don't give any need-based scholarships.

On 3/1/2022 at 10:11 PM, aalena75 said:

Okay, I think I understand. They will offer need-based unsubsidized and subsidized loans, but I found something in a PDF about financial aid saying "all institutional scholarships are awarded at time of admission" so I think this means they don't give any need-based scholarships.

Also, they, Duke, will offer need-based grants. 

I checked the fafsa website to see if their is an efc like they have for undergrad but don't see that option this year. Did they take it away, is it not offered for grad programs, am I missing it? I know I won't get the max because I won't qualify, which for Duke is what I'd need, but I'd still like an estimate.