Hearing Back After Masters Application Submission

Duh_Divinity

I'm confused by how arbitrary this process feels--as in, what dictates getting into some amazing schools and not others? After my HDS rejection, I was sure YDS wouldn't want me, either. All said, I'm so grateful. I'm waiting for the aid offer still, but I really think I might be YDS-bound. I feel so honored and excited right now.

As the application/admissions season comes to a close I have two questions

1. Can you ask a school why they rejected you? I got into two programs I thought I had >20% shot at, but one I thought was more like 50% rejected me.  Why?? 

2. Do I need to thank recommenders again? One retired this year so I never see them. Should I reach out? Let any and all recommenders know the results. 

23 minutes ago, Duh_Divinity said:

1. Can you ask a school why they rejected you? I got into two programs I thought I had >20% shot at, but one I thought was more like 50% rejected me.  Why?? 

2. Do I need to thank recommenders again? One retired this year so I never see them. Should I reach out? Let any and all recommenders know the results. 

I would not ask a school why they rejected you. What if you want to apply there again, maybe for a PhD? The reality is, I will never know why HDS rejected me, but whatever the reason, they didn't believe we were a good match. I have to respect that, and it means I'm better off elsewhere. If I remember correctly, you got offers from some schools, right?

27 minutes ago, Duh_Divinity said:

As for recommenders, I personally would thank them again as a courtesy and update them on your final decision. Mine were happy to know where I'm ending up, and I'm sure they appreciate being thought of at the end of the process (since none of us could be where we are without them).

12 hours ago, aalena75 said:

Update: I am YDS-bound! Their financial offer was better than any other school, and besides, I'm more attracted to the MARc program than MTS. I hope everyone else is doing well in their decision-making process! I'm excited to see what you all decide on!

Congrats on your decision! Good luck!!

2 hours ago, Duh_Divinity said:

I don't see much issue with asking why you were rejected, however I imagine you won't find out much.  

I think letting your recs know where you go is nice and you can thank them at the same time. 

However, are you undecided and wanting to run it by them? Or undecided and just wondering if you should thank them since it's all over? 

10 minutes ago, camelears said:

Congrats on your decision! Good luck!!

I don't see much issue with asking why you were rejected, however I imagine you won't find out much.  

Thank you!

Also, I still don't know about asking why you were rejected. I guess the better question would be, what are you hoping to get from their response? I think ultimately any reason for a rejection would be 1) they felt based on your interests that they were not the right school for you and 2) they felt there were more applicants with interests that aligned with theirs. At the end of the day, though, you want to go somewhere that believes in you. So I just don't think asking is going to get you much; the honest answer is, they just didn't feel strongly enough. That doesn't mean your application wasn't great. That's what I'm saying about how arbitrary this process feels; what did YDS see in me that HDS didn't? I'll never know, but I also don't care because I want a place that wants me. That's just my two cents.

Also, it's very possible I know nothing and am just projecting about how I'm handling HDS not even interviewing me. But I think there's something to the idea that a school that wants you wouldn't reject you, and so it really boils down to not feeling strongly enough. Again, it's arbitrary. They probably won't know why they rejected you any more than you don't know other than to point to other applicants you were up against and, once again, their impulses. Maybe I'm wrong. But at least ask yourself what you think you'll get out of asking them before you go through with it. Maybe what you really want to know is how you could have improved your admissions chances. That might be a more productive approach.

Edited by aalena75

Thanks for the responses 

I was thinking about why and how I could have done better. I did get into other schools, but this one is what I would, and probably everyone else would, consider as easier to get into. I tailored my essays very distinctly to each school to align with them. This one especially. I'd just like to know if anyone has ever asked in the past and how that went. 

On 3/10/2022 at 3:57 PM, Sleepless in skellefteå said:

Information that might be relevant for some of you: HDS announced today that they will significantly increase the standard size of several stipends starting next year.

https://hds.harvard.edu/news/2022/03/10/harvard-divinity-school-increases-financial-aid-stipends

Thanks for this information. Do you know if current students will be increased? I am considering HDS and the $$$ is a major factor, I realize this announcement is no guarantee that I would get any next year. Just curious. 

Edited by camelears

On 3/8/2022 at 8:20 AM, xypathos said:

As a VDS alum: Merit aid only covers tuition. A very select few are offered stipends. It only covers the academic year and there's no housing included in aid.

That said, while housing is not included, there are avenues to pursue! Some of my VDS classmates worked in Res Life and were able to secure an apartment in one of the dorms in exchange for services.

There's also the Disciples House that is basically on campus and open to VDS students. It's first come, first serve so reach out now!

Finally, there is also Friendship House (It's also called Our Place Nashville). You share an apartment with a Nashville resident (separate bedrooms, etc) that has a developmental disability. You don't provide ANY medical care or anything like that, but you are required to share the occasional meal with them and be involved in the community. I lived there for two years and it was absolutely amazing! The program heavily subsidizes rent in exchange for you being an active member. That said, they will kick you out if you stop participating and attempt to take advantage of them for an almost free apartment. I don't know what rent is now but I was in the first cohort and it was $400/month in a REALLY nice apartment.

What do they consider active participation? I'll have to work while in school. I dont know how much time I'd have to participate. Do you just mean hanging with your roommate for meals and stuff or are there group activities  as well?

12 hours ago, camelears said:

What do they consider active participation? I'll have to work while in school. I dont know how much time I'd have to participate. Do you just mean hanging with your roommate for meals and stuff or are there group activities  as well?

There were no "planned" group outings. Sometimes we collectively went to a Predator game, movies, happy hour restaurants (we're all grad students, no one wants to pay full price!), BBQs at the apartment, or more likely hung out on the couch and watched a movie.

As long as you were doing something and making an effort, you're good. The only times I ever saw someone get dinged was when they locked themselves in their bedroom or spent every waking moment away from the apartment, hanging out with friends. They know you're a grad student and many of us also worked. They're not oblivious to that. They just want to see an effort.

5 hours ago, aalena75 said:

Which office...? YDS? Have you checked the application portal...? What did you apply for?

PTS' admission office. I only applied to one school this semester. I really like PTS so I didn't apply for Yale and Duke. But right now I think I should have applied to those schools as well. 

16 minutes ago, Homura said:

PTS' admission office. I only applied to one school this semester. I really like PTS so I didn't apply for Yale and Duke. But right now I think I should have applied to those schools as well. 

What program did you apply for though? I think they've already sent out MDiv and MTS decisions, but I did not apply to PTS. I would think it's really weird if you haven't heard anything, though. It may be time to contact them.

18 minutes ago, aalena75 said:

What program did you apply for though? I think they've already sent out MDiv and MTS decisions, but I did not apply to PTS. I would think it's really weird if you haven't heard anything, though. It may be time to contact them.

I applied to their MTS program before the priority deadline but I haven't heard anything. I contacted them last week and they said the decision will be released in two weeks. I guess my decision will come out next week then? Maybe they put me on the waitlist?

6 minutes ago, Homura said:

I applied to their MTS program before the priority deadline but I haven't heard anything. I contacted them last week and they said the decision will be released in two weeks. I guess my decision will come out next week then? Maybe they put me on the waitlist?

Maybe. No idea how PTS works tbh.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/14/2022 at 7:44 PM, Dondi said:

Applied to Union's MAR program in the second application window that closed 3/15. Received my acceptance notice today. Waiting for the funding letter to make a decision. Hopeful it will work out!  

Quick follow-up on my previous post. It's now six days out since receiving notice of admission to Union and I still have not received the financial assistance letter. The admissions notification included a note that the financial assistance letter would arrive "shortly." Late Monday, I emailed the FA director but have received no reply. Around noon today, I emailed the Admissions team but also to no avail. Based on posts in this thread and others, it seems Union usually sends the letters the same day as the admission decisions. I thought perhaps Easter might have caused a delay but now I'm not sure what to think, especially considering no reply to my emails. Nonetheless, I am trying to remain optimistic and not be too distracted from my current coursework. 

Edited by Dondi

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/20/2022 at 5:53 PM, Dondi said:

Quick follow-up on my previous post. It's now six days out since receiving notice of admission to Union and I still have not received the financial assistance letter. The admissions notification included a note that the financial assistance letter would arrive "shortly." Late Monday, I emailed the FA director but have received no reply. Around noon today, I emailed the Admissions team but also to no avail. Based on posts in this thread and others, it seems Union usually sends the letters the same day as the admission decisions. I thought perhaps Easter might have caused a delay but now I'm not sure what to think, especially considering no reply to my emails. Nonetheless, I am trying to remain optimistic and not be too distracted from my current coursework. 

Did they get back to you...?

On 5/9/2022 at 11:51 PM, aalena75 said:

Did they get back to you...?

Yes! I took a few weeks to sort out and waiting was torture, but all worked out well. I was VERY HAPPY to be able to accept and looking forward to attending. 

Hey Dondi, I will be at Union too! We should meet up. Are you from the NY area? I am in Vermont. I am going to move to NY next month to get settled and everything. 

On 5/13/2022 at 12:44 AM, Dondi said:

Yes! I took a few weeks to sort out and waiting was torture, but all worked out well. I was VERY HAPPY to be able to accept and looking forward to attending. 

• 1 month later...