Hearing Back After Masters Application Submission

Duh_Divinity

I agree with that it displays a lack of interest and that it won't matter that much. Also, I think like carmelears said it probably helps your application doesn't hurt. 

I can't even handle the hds, nd, and yds stress right now, hahahahahahahamwuahhaha. I'm losing it. I think yds always releases on the 15th, can anyone correct that? 

Speaking of nd anyone heard from them? 

1 hour ago, camelears said:

I think my biggest concern if I hadn't interacted at all would be that it shows a lack of interest. I am also a full time student and work like all the time and I managed to attend webinar session for aads. I interacted with the admissions reps they had representing them. Also, they had a lot of options and availability. But they probably don't look into it to much. I will say I think my interactions aided my application, I felt good about them. They had some specific degree sessions, like for the MAR. I attended that one. 

Right now, if I get in HDS or YDS it will impact my choice, but all these cities are so expensive to live in, lol, Nashville is prob just as expensive as boston and new haven. 

I don't know if this is much of an excuse, but actually I didn't know they were having meetings? Like, I never got any emails about them? I got emails from other places and the sessions would be at like 2:00pm my time which is horrible because I'm literally in class at those times. But I never got anything from YDS.

1 hour ago, Duh_Divinity said:

I agree with that it displays a lack of interest and that it won't matter that much. Also, I think like carmelears said it probably helps your application doesn't hurt. 

I can't even handle the hds, nd, and yds stress right now, hahahahahahahamwuahhaha. I'm losing it. I think yds always releases on the 15th, can anyone correct that? 

Speaking of nd anyone heard from them? 

YDS states in their timeline on their website that decisions are March 15th. I don't know, if paying for the application fee and working really hard on the application (I worked hardest on DDS and YDS as they were originally my top choices) doesn't show interest, there's really not much more I can do. I've had a semester from hell (working part-time with 17 semester hours) and am also working through some health issues which really has left no extra time or energy for me. At least the health stuff is improving now, but I really think I've done all I could've possibly done.

The ones I attended were at night. I was lucky because they were after I got off work, I think for one I skipped a shift and picked up an extra later so I wouldn't miss the session or lose the money. 

They realize people have other obligations,  I think it just provides an opportunity to add to your app. Put a face to a name and all that. 

Did you attend any of Duke's online sessions or any other schools? 

5 minutes ago, camelears said:

The ones I attended were at night. I was lucky because they were after I got off work, I think for one I skipped a shift and picked up an extra later so I wouldn't miss the session or lose the money. 

They realize people have other obligations,  I think it just provides an opportunity to add to your app. Put a face to a name and all that. 

Did you attend any of Duke's online sessions or any other schools? 

No. I tried to attend one for HDS last minute but the registration had passed (originally I had class but tried to stay home for it). I guess it didn't change DDS or VDS decisions. Again, I feel I've done all I can given the circumstances, so I think it probably won't play into the decision. I may have had some email correspondence with them early on. I can't really remember.

On 3/10/2022 at 3:57 PM, Sleepless in skellefteå said:

Information that might be relevant for some of you: HDS announced today that they will significantly increase the standard size of several stipends starting next year.

https://hds.harvard.edu/news/2022/03/10/harvard-divinity-school-increases-financial-aid-stipends

When did you hear from Harvard?

EDIT: I realized you got in last year, my bad. I thought you were saying decisions were released for this year. Do you have any idea when they will be released, lol?

Edited by camelears

On 3/8/2022 at 8:20 AM, xypathos said:

As a VDS alum: Merit aid only covers tuition. A very select few are offered stipends. It only covers the academic year and there's no housing included in aid.

That said, while housing is not included, there are avenues to pursue! Some of my VDS classmates worked in Res Life and were able to secure an apartment in one of the dorms in exchange for services.

There's also the Disciples House that is basically on campus and open to VDS students. It's first come, first serve so reach out now!

Finally, there is also Friendship House (It's also called Our Place Nashville). You share an apartment with a Nashville resident (separate bedrooms, etc) that has a developmental disability. You don't provide ANY medical care or anything like that, but you are required to share the occasional meal with them and be involved in the community. I lived there for two years and it was absolutely amazing! The program heavily subsidizes rent in exchange for you being an active member. That said, they will kick you out if you stop participating and attempt to take advantage of them for an almost free apartment. I don't know what rent is now but I was in the first cohort and it was $400/month in a REALLY nice apartment.

Hello,

Question about Friendship House. Did any residents live in separate, one-person apartments? I watched a YouTube video where a Nashville resident with IDD gave a tour of what seemed like his apartment (I couldn't see another bedroom). I only ask because I have a cat and so I would prefer to live alone. She's very sensitive to new people and the big move will already be hard enough on her.

4 minutes ago, xypathos said:

Not in the residence I lived in. They've since added 3-4 other residences so I can't say for sure.

Good to know. I may reach out and ask because it sounds like a great experience, but I also have to keep #1 baby in mind. She's spoiled and she knows it but also she really is quite sensitive. I only got her in October and she's just now starting to come out when I have guests over.

22 hours ago, aalena75 said:

23 hours ago, xypathos said:

Not in the residence I lived in. They've since added 3-4 other residences so I can't say for sure.

I must be confused about Friendship House. Isn't the point to room with someone?

Also, any housing options for cheap connected with VU for you and a partner that doesn't attend?

1 minute ago, Duh_Divinity said:

I must be confused about Friendship House. Isn't the point to room with someone?

Also, any housing options for cheap connected with VU for you and a partner that doesn't attend?

I thought it was more to form a community, and I know you share meals. I thought initially you would share a room with someone but that YouTube tour video really made it seem like someone was living on his own (in fact, using they used those exact words to describe him: living on his own for the first time). But most likely it won't work for me if the rooms aren't separate because again, cat. I'm looking at some other housing options.

40 minutes ago, aalena75 said:

YouTube tour video really made it seem like someone was living on his own (in fact, using they used those exact words to describe him: living on his own for the first time)

I didn't see the video but I've worked with people with disabilities, particularly intellectual and developmental. Generally, that language is meant that they're not living with parents and/or institutionalized (group homes, etc).

My roommate for two years and I had separate bedrooms, split by a bathroom on the second floor. Downstairs was a spacious galley kitchen, living room, and a shared large back porch. No one there had a pet but I don't recall them saying they weren't allowed.

4 minutes ago, xypathos said:

I didn't see the video but I've worked with people with disabilities, particularly intellectual and developmental. Generally, that language is meant that they're not living with parents and/or institutionalized (group homes, etc).

My roommate for two years and I had separate bedrooms, split by a bathroom on the second floor. Downstairs was a spacious galley kitchen, living room, and a shared large back porch. No one there had a pet but I don't recall them saying they weren't allowed.

This is good info, thanks! I'm really looking for a single apartment this first year just to help with my cat's adjusting. She really is quite sensitive and I think the move will be hard enough on her as is (it took her months to get used to the sounds from outside my current apartment!)

I'm sure I'll find something. I'll probably roommate search for the following year, but not this one.

2 hours ago, Duh_Divinity said:

I'd imagine that living with a partner wouldnt work for these options mentioned in the forum. I'm in a similar situation. I think we'll just have to contend with Nashville's absurd market on our own if I choose vds. Looked at the site for disciples house and dont think that'd work either. 

Let me know if you find anything else that might work. 

Edited by camelears

7 hours ago, camelears said:

I'd imagine that living with a partner wouldnt work for these options mentioned in the forum. I'm in a similar situation. I think we'll just have to contend with Nashville's absurd market on our own if I choose vds. Looked at the site for disciples house and dont think that'd work either. 

Let me know if you find anything else that might work. 

i had married classmates that lived in the Disciples House. That said, while I attended for parties for social functions, I never saw the inside of a suite or bedroom so I can't tell you how big they are. That said, they made it work. I can say though that I didn't know anyone living there with kids, if that's a concern/need.

I got into HDS. Fin aid information will be up within 24 hours. 

3 hours ago, xypathos said:

i had married classmates that lived in the Disciples House. That said, while I attended for parties for social functions, I never saw the inside of a suite or bedroom so I can't tell you how big they are. That said, they made it work. I can say though that I didn't know anyone living there with kids, if that's a concern/need.

We wont both be students, so I wonder if they'd still allow us. I'll look into it. 

Congrats to everyone that got in at YDS. I did not get in so now it is between VDS, Duke, and HDS.  
Checked out housing in Boston, woah- way worse that Nashville. A studio in Boston is 2x the rent of my 2 bed, rather large, apartment right now. I live in a higher priced area of my town as well. 

Just now, camelears said:

Congrats to everyone that got in at YDS. I did not get in so now it is between VDS, Duke, and HDS.  
Checked out housing in Boston, woah- way worse that Nashville. A studio in Boston is 2x the rent of my 2 bed, rather large, apartment right now. I live in a higher priced area of my town as well. 

Congrats all!!

Re: this comment, I’m from Boston and… yeah. Housing prices are brutal. Part of why HDS’s aid package being iffy is leading me not to accept the offer. 

Got waitlisted at YDS, though, so I think it’s looking like UChicago for me. Hyde Park housing prices are high but nowhere near Cambridge…