Hearing Back After Masters Application Submission

Duh_Divinity

1 minute ago, DivSchoolHopeful1942 said:

Ohh sorry, nope, just the one. (Also out of it, not enough coffee today... lol.)

Hmm. I'm still very confused. It really feels like they're saying I have an offer, but it isn't stated anywhere.

I got an email to check the portal. I have one letter. It says % of tuition. So, I don't think it includes housing. The number they list is what it is valued at over the degree program all years combined. The estimated fees page separates tuition and housing as well. 

What I don't understand is is the summer scholarship, if one chooses to use, deducted from the rest? Or is there additional option to apply for summer scholarship funds. 

4 minutes ago, aalena75 said:

Hmm. I'm still very confused. It really feels like they're saying I have an offer, but it isn't stated anywhere.

That's weird mine is very clear. 

It says "In addition, you have been awarded a Merit Scholarship, which is awarded on the basis of academic excellence and vocational promise. This merit award covers x% of your tuition costs and is valued at approximately $xxxxx over the duration of your degree.

I replaced the numbers with x's. The summer stuff you mentioned is quoted further down. 

Also, now that I am reading it "duration of your degree" sounds like if you take summer courses and use scholarship it drains from this source not an additional one. 

48 minutes ago, aalena75 said:

I'm confused because the letter seems to imply I was offered a scholarship/financial aid package, but there's no specification.

Here is exactly what it said: "Scholarship support is also available to you for up to summer term(s) when you register for three (3) or more credit hours. Please be aware that should you elect to change your degree program or your enrollment status as a student, your financial aid package may be affected and should be discussed in consultation with the Associate Dean for Academic Affairs."

So, it doesn't have any numbers or anything? Does it have conditions listed to keep your scholarship? Mine does. Like gpa and remaining full time enrollment.  

1 minute ago, camelears said:

That's weird mine is very clear. 

It says "In addition, you have been awarded a Merit Scholarship, which is awarded on the basis of academic excellence and vocational promise. This merit award covers x% of your tuition costs and is valued at approximately $xxxxx over the duration of your degree.

I replaced the numbers with x's. The summer stuff you mentioned is quoted further down. 

Also, now that I am reading it "duration of your degree" sounds like if you take summer courses and use scholarship it drains from this source not an additional one. 

Okay, so I just called and was put through to the Dean. After describing what my letter said/expressing a bit of confusion, she told me that she must have accidentally left a paragraph out. I have actually been awarded a Merit Scholarship as well, so I'm excited about that! I felt kind of bad for calling, I know it's probably a busy day. But everything worked out!

3 minutes ago, aalena75 said:

Okay, so I just called and was put through to the Dean. After describing what my letter said/expressing a bit of confusion, she told me that she must have accidentally left a paragraph out. I have actually been awarded a Merit Scholarship as well, so I'm excited about that! I felt kind of bad for calling, I know it's probably a busy day. But everything worked out!

That's funny and nerve wracking that they forgot to include it. You shouldn't feel bad for calling, you need to know. 

Edited by camelears

3 minutes ago, camelears said:

That's funny and nerve wracking that they forgot to include it. You shouldn't feel bad for calling, you need to know. 

True. Anyways, beyond grateful right now! It seems very hard to choose between Vanderbilt and Duke. If I were to follow the money I would have to pick Vanderbilt, but there are a lot of pros with Duke, like working with my favorite scholar who teaches there. Decisions! What are you all thinking about now?

Well, vds was exciting news and a reprieve from worrying about other schools, albeit brief. I need to know about HDS and YDS. VDS offered more funding than Duke, but less than Candler, I have a few things to figure out with external aid sources at VDS. If external aid pans out like I expect it'd be hard to refuse VDS, but Duke has its pros. So, basically I am still in between everything. 

1 minute ago, camelears said:

Well, vds was exciting news and a reprieve from worrying about other schools, albeit brief. I need to know about HDS and YDS. VDS offered more funding than Duke, but less than Candler, I have a few things to figure out with external aid sources at VDS. If external aid pans out like I expect it'd be hard to refuse VDS, but Duke has its pros. So, basically I am still in between everything. 

I felt this. It all feels so impossible. I am also waiting on HDS and YDS, but mostly only YDS at this point since HDS never interviewed me.

1 hour ago, DivSchoolHopeful1942 said:

Would it be too unprofessional to ask y’all what amount of tuition your VDS merit awards cover? I’m trying to gauge what an “automatic no” from me should be (though I know that obviously varies by situation); 80% is great but I’ve been told not to take out loans for grad school…

I was also offered 80%. I don't personally agree with no grad school loans thing, but like you said, every situation is different. I intend to take out loans if the school gives me a good shot at a top PhD program because that is my only path to a job. Obviously, I wouldn't take out an absurd amount of loans, but 80% tuition is a very good offer.

MTS, 80%  scholarship. 

I dont know about loans. I see both sides. Depends on where I get in, funds, etc.  I'll sacrifice more for certain schools. I am waiting on external aid sources. That'll have a major impact on my decision at this point. 

As a VDS alum: Merit aid only covers tuition. A very select few are offered stipends. It only covers the academic year and there's no housing included in aid.

That said, while housing is not included, there are avenues to pursue! Some of my VDS classmates worked in Res Life and were able to secure an apartment in one of the dorms in exchange for services.

There's also the Disciples House that is basically on campus and open to VDS students. It's first come, first serve so reach out now!

Finally, there is also Friendship House (It's also called Our Place Nashville). You share an apartment with a Nashville resident (separate bedrooms, etc) that has a developmental disability. You don't provide ANY medical care or anything like that, but you are required to share the occasional meal with them and be involved in the community. I lived there for two years and it was absolutely amazing! The program heavily subsidizes rent in exchange for you being an active member. That said, they will kick you out if you stop participating and attempt to take advantage of them for an almost free apartment. I don't know what rent is now but I was in the first cohort and it was $400/month in a REALLY nice apartment.

12 minutes ago, GoingThisWay said:

Thanks. That’s what I thought, then I was in a panic thinking I got it wrong and I hadn’t been interviewed.

I emailed them a couple months ago asking this and they said that if you did any kind of information session or one-on-one meeting with one of the admissions reps that counts. Otherwise it seemed it wasn't really something they did in the traditional sense.

4 hours ago, DivSchoolHopeful1942 said:

I emailed them a couple months ago asking this and they said that if you did any kind of information session or one-on-one meeting with one of the admissions reps that counts. Otherwise it seemed it wasn't really something they did in the traditional sense.

What do you mean "that counts"?

8 minutes ago, aalena75 said:

What do you mean "that counts"?

If you spoke with the dean of admissions, she had a schedule and you could request a meeting- she was real nice, or if you attended an online information session they observed your behavior, interaction with them and other possible applicants, questions you asked, etc and also if you ever call their office they note how the interaction went. So, if you call and are rude/frustrated with admissions staff, that's not good. 

Just now, DivSchoolHopeful1942 said:

I genuinely think you're fine!

Okay, yeah. I reread the website and it said interactions are taken into account (if applicable) so I think the if applicable means I'm okay.

Does anybody think getting into YDS would change the school they are favoring right now? My plan is to pick between DDS and VDS by March 15th (YDS decisions date) so that if I don't get in, I know where to accept/start looking for housing, and if I do get in, I at least have things narrowed down. I'm meeting Thursday with someone who went to VDS and they also have an online info session. I hope DDS does something virtual, unfortunately their in-person day does not fall during my spring break, so I can't go.

I think my biggest concern if I hadn't interacted at all would be that it shows a lack of interest. I am also a full time student and work like all the time and I managed to attend webinar session for aads. I interacted with the admissions reps they had representing them. Also, they had a lot of options and availability. But they probably don't look into it to much. I will say I think my interactions aided my application, I felt good about them. They had some specific degree sessions, like for the MAR. I attended that one. 

Right now, if I get in HDS or YDS it will impact my choice, but all these cities are so expensive to live in, lol, Nashville is prob just as expensive as boston and new haven.