Sculpture MFAs Discussion

chunkeymonkey

14 minutes ago, greentea2 said:

Oh really?? ? I heard rumors about them not conducting interviews but didn't see anything specifying it on their website. Do you know if it's different per department (I applied to Painting/Drawing) or if it's throughout their MFA department? 

TBH your guess is as good as mine. It might be department specific. (I didn't apply into sculpture either!) UCLA's MFA web presence is some of the most cryptic...and they need to repair their broken links lol. However, I really like their website for the thesis shows. I found their's and Yale's really gave room to showcase students' work in the round. Helps that both schools have large exhibition spaces too.

Edited by worldcleft
typo

3 hours ago, worldcleft said:

? I thought UCLA canonically did not do interviews? That was what was mentioned in the two information sessions I attended.

I had interviews with both New Genres and Sculpture. On the MFA forum people who applied to Painting got interviews too.

On 2/27/2022 at 6:45 AM, blumeenez said:

Hey! 
Thanks for making the thread. I applied to 3 sculpture MFAs and 2 non disciplinary. 

Rutgers- got the rejection over a week ago (just an hour before my first interview!)

Alfred-interviewed over a week ago said they’d get back in 3 weeks. I followed up about scheduling a visit to the campus but no date on the calendar yet.

tyler- interviewed on Friday. encouraged me to visit the campus after spring break week after next. 

purchase- interviewed yesterday and invited to a virtual event Wednesday touring the facilities.  Does anyone know how many folks they interview compared to open spots?

UT Austin- no response. Assuming no?

Hey @blumeenez - have you heard back from Alfred?  I interviewed as well and thought I'd hear back this week since it's been 3 weeks now but nothing yet ☹️

On 3/12/2022 at 1:08 PM, artcat said:

Hey @blumeenez - have you heard back from Alfred?  I interviewed as well and thought I'd hear back this week since it's been 3 weeks now but nothing yet ☹️

Hey @artcat no word from Alfred yet on my end either. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, it is my first time posting but this forum has been so helpful to me throughout this process! I am a sculpture applicant and here is where I am at in the process - 

Stanford - Rejected
Yale - Rejected
Berkeley - Rejected
SAIC - Accepted
UCLA - Accepted
VCU - Accepted, 10k stipend
RISD - Accepted
CMU - Waitlisted 

I wanted to know if anyone had any opinions about VCU, RISD, UCLA and SAIC? I am leaning towards RISD but I know VCU and UCLA are supposedly ranked higher. Thanks! 

Hi everyone,

congrats to everyone that has gotten accepted already and good luck to those waiting.

I applied to 3 schools & it was my first time applying.

UCLA: interviewed for ceramics in early February no news yet (I had listed sculpture as my #1 since I usually work in mixed media but truly I wanted ceramics as my top)

Rutgers: interviewed & waitlisted

Manchester Met (England): accepted 

UCLA has me so nervous I just want to know already ?

On 3/23/2022 at 7:29 AM, dazedandconfused99 said:

Hi all, it is my first time posting but this forum has been so helpful to me throughout this process! I am a sculpture applicant and here is where I am at in the process - 

Stanford - Rejected
Yale - Rejected
Berkeley - Rejected
SAIC - Accepted
UCLA - Accepted
RISD - Accepted
CMU - Waitlisted 

I wanted to know if anyone had any opinions about VCU, RISD, UCLA and SAIC? I am leaning towards RISD but I know VCU and UCLA are supposedly ranked higher. Thanks! 

Congrats!!

I am also probably going to RISD. I don't know much about UCLA and VCU, but one of the reasons I liked RISD over other schools is that as MFA student, you have an opportunity to come up with a syllabus and teach a course, rather than just TA.

Also, I don't know if you visited them, but their facilities are amazing. They have a separate building just for MFA students, which includes a huge wood workshop. There are separate wood workshops for undergrad students and other departments (such as furniture, etc.). So you won't have to compete to use the shop like other schools.

• 5 months later...

Stanford - Rejected
Yale - Rejected
Berkeley - Rejected
SAIC - Accepted
UCLA - Accepted
RISD - Accepted
CMU - Waitlisted 

Also interested in learning more about the Sculpture MFA at VCU! Late in the thread but anyone can contribute their thoughts?

• 4 months later...
On 2/28/2022 at 2:31 PM, Tammy SLena said:

Hi there! 

sculpture program as well 

UCLA (no news), also has any UCLA sculpture applicants has gotten an interview? 

Cranbrook-Interviewed

USC-interviewed 

Hunter-interview in March 

Yale-rejected 

I am kind of done waiting for UCLA, I have been lurking and I don't know if I have been rejected already or they just haven't got to me. I kind of don't want to think about it cause it's my dream program. Let me know if anyone know more about the UCLA program and their application process. 

Cranbrook is by far the most friendly interview. It was 40 minute with one teacher. It seems they are a really close-knit community. 

USC interview was 15 minutes with two teachers from the sculpture department, it was the basic questions. I also went to their MFA open studio, very nice facility. 

If I don't get into UCLA this year I might apply again next year, after all I am graduating BFA this year. if it weren't for the visa restriction (I'm an international student), I would wait longer for MFA program.

Damn, guess I didn't get into Cranbrook then lol!

Everyone is still waiting for UCLA so don't sweat it, I think they only accept what... 3-6 applicants? They seem to take their time. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Stanford - Rejected
Yale - Rejected
Berkeley - Rejected
SAIC - Accepted
UCLA - Accepted
RISD - Accepted
CMU - Waitlisted 

How was the Saic and VCU interview?