Sculpture MFAs Discussion

chunkeymonkey

Hi everyone! As decisions start rolling in, I wanted to hear people's thoughts on different Sculpture MFA programs. I haven't heard back from most of my programs - UCLA, VCU, Carnegie Mellon, UPenn, RISD and Northwestern. I think as of now top contenders for me are UCLA and VCU. Where did everyone else apply to? What are everyone's thoughts on the programs? 

:)

Hey thanks for creating this forum! I’m applying mostly photo but with a strong interest in sculpture, probably 30% of what I do so I’m really interested to know peoples thoughts on the programs I’m looking at from a sculpture perspective.

SVA photo accepted, but I have a connection to public artist Andrew Ginzel on fine art faculty 

SAIC - accepted 

Columbia, Parsons, Pratt (interviewed) and all interdisciplinary 

UCLA - crickets

Edited by RyanV

Hey there fellow sculptors!  I interviewed with Alfred (no decisins till MArch) and Purchase (not sure of their results timeline but the interview was just on Thursday) but have heard nothing from UCLA VCU or UT Austin so sadly assuming those are probably Nos at this point.   

hello sculptors !! ~ will post my results below, but like a few of you, have not heard back from several and assuming rejection.

DoVA @ UChicago ~ rejection (interviewed/waitlisted last year with strong interest; no interview this year, so that hurt haha)
Yale ~ rejection with encouragement to develop more & reapply
UPenn ~ interviewed; notices will post at 12pm on March 10th
UCLA ~ nothing
VCU ~ nothing
UArk ~ nothing
U of Florida ~ nothing

Hi fellow sculptors! I’m a first-time applicant and here are my results so far: 

MassArt: interviewed, timeline unsure

Pratt: interview this coming Monday

UT Austin: haven’t heard anything yet, not much hope

University of Gothenburg (Sweden): interviewed (but i fxxked up a little), results come out on Apr.7

Malmö art academy and Umeå University (Sweden): application ddl Mar.1 so have to wait longer

Good luck everyone! 

Hey! 
Thanks for making the thread. I applied to 3 sculpture MFAs and 2 non disciplinary. 

Rutgers- got the rejection over a week ago (just an hour before my first interview!)

Alfred-interviewed over a week ago said they’d get back in 3 weeks. I followed up about scheduling a visit to the campus but no date on the calendar yet.

tyler- interviewed on Friday. encouraged me to visit the campus after spring break week after next. 

purchase- interviewed yesterday and invited to a virtual event Wednesday touring the facilities.  Does anyone know how many folks they interview compared to open spots?

UT Austin- no response. Assuming no?

Hi there! 

sculpture program as well 

UCLA (no news), also has any UCLA sculpture applicants has gotten an interview? 

Cranbrook-Interviewed

USC-interviewed 

Hunter-interview in March 

Yale-rejected 

I am kind of done waiting for UCLA, I have been lurking and I don't know if I have been rejected already or they just haven't got to me. I kind of don't want to think about it cause it's my dream program. Let me know if anyone know more about the UCLA program and their application process. 

Cranbrook is by far the most friendly interview. It was 40 minute with one teacher. It seems they are a really close-knit community. 

USC interview was 15 minutes with two teachers from the sculpture department, it was the basic questions. I also went to their MFA open studio, very nice facility. 

If I don't get into UCLA this year I might apply again next year, after all I am graduating BFA this year. if it weren't for the visa restriction (I'm an international student), I would wait longer for MFA program.

12 hours ago, Tammy SLena said:

has any UCLA sculpture applicants has gotten an interview? 

Hi! I actually did interview with UCLA Sculpture. I think all interviews at all departments happened already. It was a 30-40 min interview with one faculty. I'm sorry you didn't hear back, but it really does seem like they prefer applicants who have been out of undergrad for a while (their cohort is on average older than the cohort at other schools) so maybe you have a better chance if you do reapply. Best of luck for your decisions from other schools! 

Edited by chunkeymonkey
edited for clarity

12 hours ago, Hjuoollpphhfcvn said:

In general, how good is the sculpture program at vcu?? The rankings i've visited put it pretty high up but I'm from south america so it's really hard for me to really get a grasp of it.

Also wanted to ask the same question! The faculty seems to be very accomplished and active in the field, the facilities are great, but I am not sure how I feel about current student and alumni work... Not sure what is better to make a decision based on.

Edited by chunkeymonkey
edited for clarity

1 hour ago, Hjuoollpphhfcvn said:

So sorry to hear that :( was it top choice for you?

no, actually it was my bottom choice so not a huge loss for me.  I mostly applied because of Beili Liu whose work I think is awesome and she's actually on a Fullbright in Norway so not even sure if she woud lbe there.  

Hey all, I got accepted to Pratt photo but do a lot of sculpture work, wondering what the sentiment is about Pratt’s sculpture program from people more in sculpture world? Once I’m in I’ll be able to work between disciplines I believe.

I feel like I’ve seen good things mentioned about the program but would love any insight.

12 hours ago, RyanV said:

Hey all, I got accepted to Pratt photo but do a lot of sculpture work, wondering what the sentiment is about Pratt’s sculpture program from people more in sculpture world? Once I’m in I’ll be able to work between disciplines I believe.

Congratulations! My personal impression (by no means an authority on the subject) is that Pratt is better known for Painting/Print/Photo/Drawing as opposed to sculpture. However, your primary focus is photo anyway, so as long as you like the faculty and think you can have stimulating conversations with them, you just need to make sure that they have the equipment you need! I believe they have fairly good metal/wood/digital fab shops, and since its NYC you can find everything you need at an arm's length - but if you know for certain, going in you want to work with something specific (Fibers? Ceramics?) just make sure you have access to those facilities! 

i have interview at Hunter this Saturday.

On 3/1/2022 at 12:31 AM, Tammy SLena said:

Hi there! 

sculpture program as well 

UCLA (no news), also has any UCLA sculpture applicants has gotten an interview? 

Cranbrook-Interviewed

USC-interviewed 

Hunter-interview in March 

Yale-rejected 

I am kind of done waiting for UCLA, I have been lurking and I don't know if I have been rejected already or they just haven't got to me. I kind of don't want to think about it cause it's my dream program. Let me know if anyone know more about the UCLA program and their application process. 

Cranbrook is by far the most friendly interview. It was 40 minute with one teacher. It seems they are a really close-knit community. 

USC interview was 15 minutes with two teachers from the sculpture department, it was the basic questions. I also went to their MFA open studio, very nice facility. 

If I don't get into UCLA this year I might apply again next year, after all I am graduating BFA this year. if it weren't for the visa restriction (I'm an international student), I would wait longer for MFA program.

2 hours ago, chunkeymonkey said:

Congratulations! My personal impression (by no means an authority on the subject) is that Pratt is better known for Painting/Print/Photo/Drawing as opposed to sculpture. However, your primary focus is photo anyway, so as long as you like the faculty and think you can have stimulating conversations with them, you just need to make sure that they have the equipment you need! I believe they have fairly good metal/wood/digital fab shops, and since its NYC you can find everything you need at an arm's length - but if you know for certain, going in you want to work with something specific (Fibers? Ceramics?) just make sure you have access to those facilities! 

Thanks very helpful!

Hi ~ sculpture applicant

Yale, Northwestern, SAIC(interviewed) - rejected

RISD, SMFA - accepted

UPenn - interviewed and waiting

Hunter - interviewed today

Pratt - received interview invite, but I withdrew my application since I was already accepted to RISD.

VCU, UCLA, MIT, Columbia - crickets...

Assuming rejection for VCU, UCLA, and MIT.

Did you apply to Columbia for Sculpture or Photo? I've been asking this in the MFA Freakout forum too, but it seems people heard back from Columbia for painting and photo, but noone for Sculpture|Expanded practice and it's driving me crazy ?

On 2/26/2022 at 9:01 AM, RyanV said:

Hey thanks for creating this forum! I’m applying mostly photo but with a strong interest in sculpture, probably 30% of what I do so I’m really interested to know peoples thoughts on the programs I’m looking at from a sculpture perspective.

SVA photo accepted, but I have a connection to public artist Andrew Ginzel on fine art faculty 

SAIC - accepted 

Columbia, Parsons, Pratt (interviewed) and all interdisciplinary 

UCLA - crickets

10 minutes ago, HJAn said:

Hi ~ sculpture applicant

Yale, Northwestern, SAIC(interviewed) - rejected

RISD, SMFA - accepted

UPenn - interviewed and waiting

Hunter - interviewed today

Pratt - received interview invite, but I withdrew my application since I was already accepted to RISD.

VCU, UCLA, MIT, Columbia - crickets...

Assuming rejection for VCU, UCLA, and MIT.

Did you apply to Columbia for Sculpture or Photo? I've been asking this in the MFA Freakout forum too, but it seems people heard back from Columbia for painting and photo, but noone for Sculpture|Expanded practice and it's driving me crazy ?

Congratulations on RISD!!! I applied for photo not sculpture 

Just now, RyanV said:

Congratulations on RISD!!! I applied for photo not sculpture 

Ahhhh I'm starting to think are they not admitting any sculpture students this year?!! lol It seems unlikely that they did send out interviews and coincidentally literally noone on this forum has heard.

and thank you!! and congrats on your interviews/acceptances as well! 

On 3/1/2022 at 4:04 PM, chunkeymonkey said:

Hi! I actually did interview with UCLA Sculpture. I think all interviews at all departments happened already. It was a 30-40 min interview with one faculty. I'm sorry you didn't hear back, but it really does seem like they prefer applicants who have been out of undergrad for a while (their cohort is on average older than the cohort at other schools) so maybe you have a better chance if you do reapply. Best of luck for your decisions from other schools! 

? I thought UCLA canonically did not do interviews? That was what was mentioned in the two information sessions I attended.

On 3/2/2022 at 1:00 AM, RyanV said:

I feel like I’ve seen good things mentioned about the program but would love any insight.

Ryan I went there for my undergrad and I did my interview yesterday. I was a painting major that dove right into sculpture and installation for my senior thesis. It was really well received and supported by faculty. The community is very fluid. There was heavy emphasis on this in the interview yesterday as well. I would say take a hard look at the faculty in the MFA program - half of them are super interdisciplinary. If you have any questions about Pratt/Brooklyn feel free to dm me and we can talk about it. 

55 minutes ago, worldcleft said:

? I thought UCLA canonically did not do interviews? That was what was mentioned in the two information sessions I attended.

Oh really?? ? I heard rumors about them not conducting interviews but didn't see anything specifying it on their website. Do you know if it's different per department (I applied to Painting/Drawing) or if it's throughout their MFA department? 

Edited by greentea2