2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

8 minutes ago, crosie said:

Just fyi there’s a South Carolina fiction acceptance in the draft ?First time hearing news from a school I applied to that I haven’t heard anything back from— who knew that new heights of anxiety could be reached? 

i saw that too, and then just got a phone call from a "columbia", but it was a different state and it was a telemarketer... my stomach is turning lol

1 minute ago, jjooeeyy said:

i saw that too, and then just got a phone call from a "columbia", but it was a different state and it was a telemarketer... my stomach is turning lol

Lol yes, my relationship with telemarketers is thriving this month. 

At the risk of invoking everyone's favorite poster, does anyone have any insight into the order in which decisions are sent out? I just noticed that someone put up a rejection from Indiana that they received on Friday (for fiction, which I also applied for), but my application portal still just says in progress. Does anyone know if rejections typically are sent out before acceptances/waitlists? I assumed it would be the opposite, but if that's the case then I'm not sure why I wouldn't have gotten my rejection yet.

Also, if the person who got accepted to Minnesota is on this forum, I would love to know if it was for poetry or fiction! (Also, congrats!)

21 minutes ago, Norwood said:

At the risk of invoking everyone's favorite poster, does anyone have any insight into the order in which decisions are sent out? I just noticed that someone put up a rejection from Indiana that they received on Friday (for fiction, which I also applied for), but my application portal still just says in progress. Does anyone know if rejections typically are sent out before acceptances/waitlists? I assumed it would be the opposite, but if that's the case then I'm not sure why I wouldn't have gotten my rejection yet.

Also, if the person who got accepted to Minnesota is on this forum, I would love to know if it was for poetry or fiction! (Also, congrats!)

Pretty sure the minnesota acceptance is poetry, there's a virginia tech acceptance posted at the same time from someone with the same a/w/r/p that explicitly says poetry

Hi sorry for the negative energy here, but I'm bummed again that there is still no news from Northwestern. I know there was an acceptance last week, so rejections should be out either today or tmr. I'm checking my mailbox and portal literally every other second ... sorry for the negativity, but the wait is suffocating ?

P.S. got rejected from Cornell last week, knowing this is another rejection, but the wait still kills me...

Fingers crossed for everyone to get into their program eventually ??

10 minutes ago, Blaze said:

Hi sorry for the negative energy here, but I'm bummed again that there is still no news from Northwestern. I know there was an acceptance last week, so rejections should be out either today or tmr. I'm checking my mailbox and portal literally every other second ... sorry for the negativity, but the wait is suffocating ?

P.S. got rejected from Cornell last week, knowing this is another rejection, but the wait still kills me...

Fingers crossed for everyone to get into their program eventually ??

Apparently, Northwestern's cohort this upcoming year is a total of six people: three for fiction, three for poetry. Super hard to get into, even if you're a fantastic writer. And yes, I'm also waiting on the official rejection ?

13 minutes ago, lanadelreystan said:

Apparently, Northwestern's cohort this upcoming year is a total of six people: three for fiction, three for poetry. Super hard to get into, even if you're a fantastic writer. And yes, I'm also waiting on the official rejection ?

Thank you for the kind words ❤️☺️ hug hug

1 minute ago, Blaze said:

Thank you for the kind words ❤️☺️ hug hug

It is literally such a hard time of the year, so you (and everyone else) should try to take it easy. Is anyone working on fun personal projects unrelated to creative writing as a way to distract themselves? I'm working on a website!

1 minute ago, lanadelreystan said:

It is literally such a hard time of the year, so you (and everyone else) should try to take it easy. Is anyone working on fun personal projects unrelated to creative writing as a way to distract themselves? I'm working on a website!

I bought myself a bass guitar as a present for finishing my apps and now I'm teaching myself to play! I've played drums since I was a teenager and used to tour and record pretty seriously, but since bass isn't "my instrument" and I don't plan on playing out or anything I'm totally free to just mess around with it. I can't recommend enough a hobby you have no complicated feelings about being absolute shit at. 

11 minutes ago, lanadelreystan said:

I am reading Anna Karenina if that counts... tried War and Peace and gave up. 587287 words is still a little daunting for this period (;´▽`)

47 minutes ago, lanadelreystan said:

I’m knitting a sweater, which is always good mindless fun! Definitely second having a hobby that is free from complicated feelings haha. 

12 minutes ago, c_eddy said:

Just got into Bowling Green ! At a loss for words. 

That’s amazing, congrats!! 

1 hour ago, jolene1213 said:

The only place I have heard from is UPitt (had an interview with them last week). Is there a general consensus that Cornell hasn't notified fiction yet?

Congrats on the interview (I didn’t get one lol). Apparently Cornell did not notify fiction applicants yet (it looks like they send the rejection notifications out within a day(s) of the acceptances. Good luck!

1 hour ago, lanadelreystan said:

What is your website about? My friend just made one to track video game collectibles. 

4 hours ago, crosie said:

Just fyi there’s a South Carolina fiction acceptance in the draft ?First time hearing news from a school I applied to that I haven’t heard anything back from— who knew that new heights of anxiety could be reached? 

So with this and the Northwestern one that went out, are those schools good as done giving acceptances? If so, that's two more from my list ?

14 hours ago, Leeannitha said:

What is your website about? My friend just made one to track video game collectibles. 

That's so awesome! I'm making mine with a friend, and it's a website about the undergraduate college admissions process, including resources like how to write an entrance essay and information on scholarships specific to residents of our home state. Hope it can help some kid out