2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

1 hour ago, halsklo said:

hi all! just curious, is there anyone else applying for an mfa without a prior degree in writing/lit/english? kinda nervous as i wonder if not having a degree in any of those fields would’ve negatively impacted my app

I was realllyyy worried about this for myself.  I have an English minor, but my undergraduate major is in public health.  My recommenders told me it would probably be a benefit, if anything—basically, if your writing sample is what they’re looking for having a major in something other than English can help you stand out (though I’m sure having a background in English is helpful for getting TA positions).

Edited by ElleNoelle

On 2/3/2023 at 9:11 AM, somewhereelse said:

Hi everyone - hope all are hanging in there & taking care as updates from schools trickle in.

I was wondering if anyone might have some advice. Two days ago, I noticed one of my letter writers did not submit her letter to Iowa or Vanderbilt, which were due December 15th. I sent her countless reminders in the weeks and days leading up to the deadline, and she said she submitted the letter (which she did to my 10 other schools, some of which also had December 15th deadlines.) When I emailed her this week, she said she "thought she submitted it." I resent her the links and asked her to confirm that she received them and was able to upload the letter. Now I'm getting radio silence from her and the portals still say they are "awaiting" her letter.

Feeling anxious & honestly upset by her lack of organization and communication, especially since she encouraged me to apply. Not sure if I should reach out to the schools or just give up (Iowa & Vanderbilt were a reach, anyways.) 

I straight up submitted my SOP with a paragraph missing for a few schools (didn't double-check the exported PDF), and I emailed the admin coordinators for each program and asked them if it would be possible to update the documents on the application, and they did. I got waitlisted at one of those schools. I'd definitely email and see! Everyone was very generous and accommodating. Having been on the admin side, it happens.

12 hours ago, poefire said:

classics major applying here. everyone ive talked to and everything ive read seems to say that what you majored in in undergrad doesnt affect things

Heyyy fellow classics major!! Although I was double with Creative Writing. What area of classical studies did you focus on (history, linguistics, philosophy, etc.)? Also do you write classically-inspired stuff, too? I’m always so interested to meet writers with backgrounds in classics!

2 hours ago, stannecarson said:

Heyyy fellow classics major!! Although I was double with Creative Writing. What area of classical studies did you focus on (history, linguistics, philosophy, etc.)? Also do you write classically-inspired stuff, too? I’m always so interested to meet writers with backgrounds in classics!

eyyy, my focus was in languages and literature, primarily as a Latinist. Funnily enough the only real classics inspired poetry ive done is ekphrastic work on classical (and neoclassical) sculptures. If you have any classics inspired work youd feel like sharing id love to read.

10 minutes ago, lanadelreystan said:

Girl, me, too ? this was my top choice program (an MFA and MA!!) maybe in another lifetime

No posts about Litowitz yet on Draft, though, which is a little weird. 

Edited by treaux

29 minutes ago, lanadelreystan said:

The accepted applicants most likely aren't in Draft. Or they're silent lurkers ?

I remember seeing a person from that program saying that they only accept 2 per year in each genre, so it's entirely possible they aren't in Draft either.

Edited by jjooeeyy

Wow, February 4th already! 

I hope everyone is managing to channel all that nervous energy into something healthy and compassionate!

I’ve recently been getting into meditation (guided ones for now!) and it’s done wonders for me.

Anyone reading anything good right now? I’ve been reading Gravity’s Rainbow for the past, like, 7 months. It’s absurd and challenging and imaginative and unapologetic and I friggin love it.

On 2/3/2023 at 11:25 PM, halsklo said:

hi all! just curious, is there anyone else applying for an mfa without a prior degree in writing/lit/english? kinda nervous as i wonder if not having a degree in any of those fields would’ve negatively impacted my app

I agree with others that it doesn't negatively affect your application. We have all sorts of undergrad majors in my program. However, as @ElleNoelle stated, it does impact your viability for teaching positions.

What I would actually be more worried about is getting accepted with a TAship that involves teaching English 101 if you don't feel well-prepared. Unfortunately, many programs don't provide much training/instruction before they throw you into the classroom. My program does provide a lot of pedagogical instruction, but it doesn't teach you any of the content of English 101 (e.g. paragraph organization, rhetorical principles, etc.). They expect you to know that already. A common complaint among TAs in my program is that they didn't know some of the topics they were expected to teach. Tbh I think that's their fault since we were supplied with the curriculum way ahead of time, but long story short: Make sure to do your research on teaching expectations, and prepare if necessary so you won't be so stressed later.

Hello Everyone,

I have no idea where this post is going to land in the thread, but I am graduating in the spring of 2023 at University of New Hampshire's MFA program. If anyone has questions about anything feel free to reach out! Also I understand everyone's financial situation is different, but I would encourage considering non-fully funded programs if they give you a spot to teach introductory college writing. This will provide a full tuition waiver, health insurance and usually a stipend as well.

1 hour ago, lenagator1997 said:

Heyy Again,

Has anyone applied to PhD in Creative Writing programs? that's where I'm at right now and the wait is killing me!

If you don’t mind me asking, why did you decide to do both an MFA and a PHD? Just wondering how the programs differ. 

I thought about trying for PhD creative writing programs but I figure it's hard enough to get into the MFAs! If I end up going to an MFA program, I'll consider applying to a PhD then. Could extend teaching opportunities for example.

I've applied to eight places and so far only heard back from Alabama (rejected :(). I've got the support from people at my undergrad institution with wikipedia pages who've read my writing, but it just seems like luck of the draw when so few spots are available. Best of luck to everyone and hoping for good (or at least more) news soon.

16 minutes ago, CLCH said:

Who does everyone think they'll be hearing from this week?

Crossing my fingers for WUSTL and NC State notifications, but I’m definitely not gonna hold my breath. Could be another week of no news—it’s still so early in the grand scheme of things.