2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

Hmmm, if Michigan is emailing acceptances for fiction, I guess that means if you haven't heard anything then it's a no? Dang, Michigan was my highest hope. I was waitlisted there last year and as far as I know made it really close.  Oh well. Congrats to everyone!

12 minutes ago, radful522 said:

Anyone anticipate timeline based on past dates for NYU? Not in draft ? 

Two years back a friend of mine got their response mid-March. Not sure how helpful that is but that's how I've been framing the wait in my head...

38 minutes ago, lanadelreystan said:

Have either of UT Austin’s programs notified? 

Someone put a NWP acceptance on the results page on the 18th, but I haven't seen them (or anyone else) posting about it here or on Draft. Also, it doesn't say if it's for Fiction or Poetry. 

2 hours ago, daredcomet said:

Just got a waitlist email for poetry this morning! But why would that indicate it's over?

Right, what dagreenkat just said is kind of what I meant -- acceptances and waitlists more often than not go out in batches. Congratulations though! Hope the waitlist (or something else) works out :).

On 2/21/2023 at 9:51 AM, SarahRuth said:

Thanks O Green! Congrats on being waitlisted at Madison. Such a charming place. I can see why you would want to stay there. I hope you get in! I imagine Madison has quite a writing community. 

Simply letting my letter writers know my situation has helped enormously. They've already invited me to reading or writing groups; and one of them has even offered to edit my novel when it's complete. Plus, I was fortunate to be a literary awards finalist for the local book festival, so I plan to network there.

I suppose I'll re-assess next year and see where my life and skillset are at, but for now I'm going to forget the MFA and just write and network and read. 

Congratulations on the book festival award! Those sound like great connections and support.

And thank you! I'm definitely trying to lean into the writing community here. Even just applying for an MFA has felt like such a constructive process, working on my sample and reconnecting/making new connections with other writers.

Thanks for sharing, and good luck with the rest of your novel!

y'all I got waitlisted at University of Tennessee Knoxville (fiction) :):):):)

feels really good after one formal rejection and two 99%-sure-I've-been-rejected-but-they-haven't-fucking-emailed-me-yet rejections

even if I don't get in (since there's only two spots for fiction this year) I'm counting this as a win

:):):):):):) hope the rest of y'alls days go well!!!! :):):):):)

16 hours ago, mosss said:

y'all I got waitlisted at University of Tennessee Knoxville (fiction) :):):):)

feels really good after one formal rejection and two 99%-sure-I've-been-rejected-but-they-haven't-fucking-emailed-me-yet rejections

even if I don't get in (since there's only two spots for fiction this year) I'm counting this as a win

:):):):):):) hope the rest of y'alls days go well!!!! :):):):):)

Same here. Fiction. Now the next two months I’ll have a lingering hope that the deck shuffles just right…

It’s validating! I’m not hopeful, but there’s a boost in the ego. Which is always needed. Lol. 

good luck to you, internet friend. Have you been waitlisted/accepted anywhere else? I only applied to two schools. 

This week has been painful -- the slow Iowa rollout in particular is like aghhhh.

Does anyone have info on when Brooklyn College notifies? This is my first cycle applying there. 

On the bright side, I finished a rough draft of a novel this week! So regardless of outcomes, I'll having something to focus on for the rest of the year.

1 hour ago, clil09 said:

Same here. Fiction. Now the next two months I’ll have a lingering hope that the deck shuffles just right…

It’s validating! I’m not hopeful, but there’s a boost in the ego. Which is always needed. Lol. 

good luck to you, internet friend. Have you been waitlisted/accepted anywhere else? I only applied to two schools. 

congrats!

this is my first good news, but I'm hoping UWV and/or Georgia College and State University will have some good news for me in the coming weeks 🙏

1 hour ago, LB349 said:

On the bright side, I finished a rough draft of a novel this week! So regardless of outcomes, I'll having something to focus on for the rest of the year.

Just want to say that this is amazing!! I have not done a good job of staying productive slash functional slash remotely creative in these times of great anxiety so I have massive respect for those who have managed to stay focused on writing :)