2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

14 minutes ago, halsklo said:

just got the jhu rejection...

note to self: don't check decision notifs at work!

good luck to everyone for the rest of the cycle!!!

Same here. It's honestly a relief to have a solid answer, at this point, since acceptances went out so long ago, but it's still not exactly an uplifting start to my week.

First one I've heard back from; still waiting on 3.

14 minutes ago, dagreenkat said:

So sorry to hear. I know you were really riding on that as your one chance. Hopefully you'll still go for it again next year. Best of luck with the rest of your 2023!

thank you for the kind words!! i really didn’t think out the actual application process well in hindsight, but this was a great learning experience for a first cycle! hope everything goes well for you 😊

4 minutes ago, DefinitelyKnot said:

Same here. It's honestly a relief to have a solid answer, at this point, since acceptances went out so long ago, but it's still not exactly an uplifting start to my week.

First one I've heard back from; still waiting on 3.

definitely a sense of relief!! hopefully there’s good news coming your way! 

Hi! Just found this forum and it seems like a wonderful community - so happy to find other people going through this same process. 

I've gotten rejections from Vanderbilt, Cornell, and (just today!) NC State. However, I'm in phase 2 for ole' miss. Anyone know...what that actually means, in terms of how many people are still being considered and what the likelihood of acceptance is at this point?

Best of luck to everyone!

NCSU came through with that rejection letter. That makes two official rejections for me – Pittsburgh and NCSU – and two very likely – Virginia Tech and Hopkins. 

Would a school have literally any reason to send out rejections in like, staggered batches? I see a couple of folks upthread got their Hopkins rejections today, but I haven't gotten anything yet. Checked the portal and nothing there has changed either. Just hit me with that No so I can move on with my life y'all...

4 minutes ago, flowerpot said:

Would a school have literally any reason to send out rejections in like, staggered batches? I see a couple of folks upthread got their Hopkins rejections today, but I haven't gotten anything yet. Checked the portal and nothing there has changed either. Just hit me with that No so I can move on with my life y'all...

I was just wondering about that. I checked my portal, and there is nothing there for me either. 

I know nothing about how their systems work, so this is just guesswork on my part, but...

My theory is that their systems are set up in such a way that they probably can't press a single button to notify all us rejected applicants. I think they might have to process each rejection manually — even if 'manually' just means clicking a few buttons for each individual name.

My theory is that we see them go out in batches because it might be based on the stamina of whoever is uploading rejections that particular day. Like, I picture someone plugging in their headphones and listening to a podcast for an hour, and uploading as many rejections during that hour as they can manage. Then maybe they find another free hour later in the week, for uploading more rejections...

1 hour ago, Catpaw said:

I know nothing about how their systems work, so this is just guesswork on my part, but...

My theory is that their systems are set up in such a way that they probably can't press a single button to notify all us rejected applicants. I think they might have to process each rejection manually — even if 'manually' just means clicking a few buttons for each individual name.

My theory is that we see them go out in batches because it might be based on the stamina of whoever is uploading rejections that particular day. Like, I picture someone plugging in their headphones and listening to a podcast for an hour, and uploading as many rejections during that hour as they can manage. Then maybe they find another free hour later in the week, for uploading more rejections...

it probably depends on each university and which system they have available, but i worked in a department where i assisted in a faculty search and i was able to mass email all those who didn't advance to an interview with a default rejection. in order for us to use a template that was specific to our department, we had to request it which took a few days to get added, (if i remember correctly.)

so in all likeliness, the admissions committee is probably just not focused on those who they aren't accepting and is focusing their efforts on the classes they teach / current mfa students / and the prospective students they offered admission.

edit: to add that often times, there's only one admin person assisting faculty with this process and they often have other things on their plate, like arranging student travel for admitted student visits, making sure official transcripts are received, etc

Edited by jjooeeyy

5 hours ago, crosie said:

If you do apply next year, definitely ask for fee waivers. Even if you don’t qualify on paper, a lot of schools will just give you one if you email to ask. I got one for Vanderbilt this year because 95 dollars felt like way too much on a server budget. 

yeah, i think it was just the programs i applied to maybe. I got fee waivers for Arizona and Vanderbilt but Oregon didn't respond to my fee waiver request email and West Virginia said they weren't able to waive mine. chances are I'll have better luck next year, but I definitely qualify even now.

Did anybody get in somewhere where they missed a call at first? Second day missing a call but it’s from a completely different number than yesterday. I’m 99% it’s spam since they didn’t leave any message. Tired of them playing with my heart!

I really wanted to wake up to more news but alas.

Edited by dagreenkat

16 minutes ago, dagreenkat said:

Did anybody get in somewhere where they missed a call at first? Second day missing a call but it’s from a completely different number than yesterday. I’m 99% it’s spam since they didn’t leave any message. Tired of them playing with my heart!

I really wanted to wake up to more news but alas.

When I had gotten an acceptance call, I didn't answer, and they left a voicemail and then followed up by email that day or a few days later. I think my portal also changed a few days after the missed call

32 minutes ago, ACPF said:

Waitlisted by Michener. Understand it's competitive, but a little bummed since it's been my top choice since I started this process! 

Waitlist is such a weird feeling but I like to look on the bright side. The program really wants you! They just don’t quite have the space. And they might still yet. I know that’s the hope I’m riding on myself right now.

20 minutes ago, dagreenkat said:

Just got my Boston rejection. Three left, and not confident about any of the remaining. :(

“Dear Applicant” like they weren’t going to bother even with names yikes

Just wanted to say sorry that you're feeling this way. The entire process is so stressful and competitive. I'm sending you good luck for the rest of your programs, but also serene vibes with the hope that this won't affect your confidence in your writing. 

1 minute ago, treaux said:

Just wanted to say sorry that you're feeling this way. The entire process is so stressful and competitive. I'm sending you good luck for the rest of your programs, but also serene vibes with the hope that this won't affect your confidence in your writing. 

Having the South Carolina waitlist has been a buoy for me, and I really hope I get off of that one. Without that I think I'd be doing much worse. But it's been hard on more fronts than grad school so I could really use a win sooner rather than later.