2023 Creative Writing MFA Applicants Forum

MDP

5 minutes ago, Leeannitha said:

We have a couple places in common! Remind me, are you applying in fiction? I’ve already forgotten. 
I am a poet but I would KILL to get to learn from Mona Awad at Syracuse lol. Did you read any of her books? Bunny is one of my favorite books of all time. 

I'm a fiction writer, yeah! And I know this sounds kinda dumb, but I haven't read any of Mona Awad's work because when I first applied a couple years ago I read all the writers who were teaching there at the time and got obsessed with Dana Spiotta's books, which then really got my hopes up for admission lol. So since I already knew I was going to apply again (and talk about wanting to learn from Spiotta in my statement) I decided to avoid giving myself more reasons to get my hopes up. BUT when I get rejected this year, I do have plans to rub salt in the wound by checking out Awad and Chanelle Benz haha 

Also, I'm decidedly not a poet, but I would LOVE to take a class with Mary Karr.

On 2/7/2023 at 9:38 AM, Blaze said:

oh shit this was embarrassing... sorry @notebook but yes your writing was so impressive, especially considering how effortless it seems for you to write so well... I hate my bad memory (ಥ_ಥ) really sorry for the mistake!!

No worries lol i wouldve responded earlier but i received a week long ban for sexual content

Mods, I'm coming for your mothers

Literally

8 hours ago, notebook said:

No worries lol i wouldve responded earlier but i received a week long ban for sexual content

Mods, I'm coming for your mothers

Literally

lol, sorry for your ban, but literally I'm laughing out loud - sth so funny.  don't know why lollllll

but, no, do be careful, don't get banned again ?❤️

I hope everyone is able to enjoy the weekend despite the stress ??

Edited by Blaze

19 hours ago, notebook said:

?You got silenced for trying to troll the troll. If you want to post your AO3 stories here, enjoy I guess.

9 hours ago, lanadelreystan said:

Can someone explain what happens if you apply to both Michener and New Writers Project and get an acceptance? These programs seem to have the exact same faculty members who are presumably reading the same applications, so is it possible to get accepted to both? Does anyone have insight on this?

I think there are separate adcoms for each program deciding who gets in. They are different admissions processes. Not sure if they will know if you have applied to both or not. 

15 minutes ago, crosie said:

Anyone get a fiction rejection from WUSTL yet? I’m just ready for the wait to end lol

I saw that a bunch of people got rejected, but I didn't get an email and the portal still says my application is in review. No clue what that means, but fingers crossed for a waitlist!

Hello! Been lurking on the thread for a while. One Northwestern rejection so far, waiting on everything else. Does anyone know how long it typically takes Iowa to make their phone calls? Basically want to know at what point I should stop hoping haha 

2 minutes ago, CBeuley said:

Hello! Been lurking on the thread for a while. One Northwestern rejection so far, waiting on everything else. Does anyone know how long it typically takes Iowa to make their phone calls? Basically want to know at what point I should stop hoping haha 

Iowa seems to notify its acceptances over days and weeks, unlike most other programs, so it could be a while ? plus their portal takes forever to say "rejected" and I think they send a snail mail rejection as well that arrives in March/April