Film and Media Studies 2010-2011 Applications

aem88

I'll be down there presenting on the recent 3D boom. It should be a fun weekend.

By the way, has anyone else not heard back from USC's Cinematic Arts (Critical Studies, PhD)? I've seen both acceptances and rejections on the board, but I've gotten no word from them.

I'll be down there presenting on the recent 3D boom. It should be a fun weekend.

By the way, has anyone else not heard back from USC's Cinematic Arts (Critical Studies, PhD)? I've seen both acceptances and rejections on the board, but I've gotten no word from them.

I'm in the same boat.

My graduate program director up here in Toronto said this might be good news,

but I noticed a 'wait-listed' posted on the results page, so who knows.

This information may not apply to you. I had emailed the USC program coordinator on Feb 11 after seeing the activity on results board. Here's the reply: "Thank you for your interest in our program. All applicants who were recommended for admission and the waitlist have been notified. If you haven’t heard from us then that unfortunately means that you did not make the admissions cut this year. If you have any additional information please let me know."

85$ and they did not even bother sending me a rejection email!!

In your case, I hope it works out. Good luck!

This information may not apply to you. I had emailed the USC program coordinator on Feb 11 after seeing the activity on results board. Here's the reply: "Thank you for your interest in our program. All applicants who were recommended for admission and the waitlist have been notified. If you haven’t heard from us then that unfortunately means that you did not make the admissions cut this year. If you have any additional information please let me know."

85$ and they did not even bother sending me a rejection email!!

In your case, I hope it works out. Good luck!

Thanks for the update, finalcountdown. I might give them a call today to finally just close the coffin on this one.

Good luck to everyone!

Hey all! Quick question - has anybody heard back from University of Chicago's Cinema and Media Studies PhD program? I saw some rejections on the results page, along with one unofficial acceptance. I called the dept. last week & they said they sent out letters last week but I called the humanities office today and they said they would be mailing out my admissions info in the next couple of days. Not sure if that's good or bad or neutral. Just thought I'd see what the status was around here. Any info is helpful!

That was my thinking too, it only seems logical. The only thing I can think is that they may have deferred me to the MAPH. Well, whatever it is, I guess I'll find out! Thanks anyhow.

I didn't apply to Chicago so can't help with specifics, but in general it has been my experience that acceptances typically precede rejections...

Edited by leopolds

Hey all! Quick question - has anybody heard back from University of Chicago's Cinema and Media Studies PhD program? I saw some rejections on the results page, along with one unofficial acceptance. I called the dept. last week & they said they sent out letters last week but I called the humanities office today and they said they would be mailing out my admissions info in the next couple of days. Not sure if that's good or bad or neutral. Just thought I'd see what the status was around here. Any info is helpful!

I got a rejection letter near the end of last week. Kind of wishful thinking on my part to apply there, but worth a shot.

Hopefully since yours specifically was delayed, you'll be hearing some positive news from them.

What about Brown's program? I just read a recent dissertation from their, that hits on your areas of interest - TV, fan culture, participatory cultures, media, etc...

Hi all,

I thought I would start a new topic for those of us applying to film/media studies programs for Fall 2011. I'm re-applying to Media Studies PhD programs (I already have a MA), after across the board rejections last round. My focus is in television studies broadly, but more specificlly my research interests are in fandom, participatory culture, media paratexts, and industry studies.

Right now I've just got University of Wisconsin-Madison, Comm Arts, Media and Culture; and USC, Anennburg, Media, Culture and Communiation on my list. I applied to UW last year, and came very close, but was unltimately rejected, so I'm really hoping this round will work out as it is my top choice.

Anyone have any suggestions for programs that fit with my areas of study? I applied to UCLA, UCSB, UW-M, U Michigan, Indiana University, and UT last year, and honestly, the fit wasn't right with many of them, so I'm trying to be more selective this round to places that would be a great fit with my research. Anyone know of any other programs? Canadian or UK schools would interest me as well.

Thanks for the help and good luck to everyone!

I'm sorry to hear that, it sounds like you've got a lot going for you though! I've been hearing that it's becoming more likely that people applying for graduate school in the humanities will have to apply for at least 2 cycles before gaining admission. Did you apply to any MA programs? I applied to PhD and MA programs and didn't get into any straight PhD programs so am opting for an MA first. That said, my personal feeling is that a lot about grad admissions, esp in this field, has to do with how much a faculty member wants to work with you. And not just any faculty member but one who is highly regarded within the program and has some level of seniority. My strongest faculty connection was with someone relatively new in this particular department and even though this POI explicitly stated that they would rally behind me, it ultimately didn't pull through because they haven't been around long enough to have a choice over others who have been there for quite some time. I think your best bet is to look for really solid programs that have professors that you match well with and then form strong connections with them, make sure they'll be on the admissions committee, and make sure they are interested in supporting you. For the program that I'm now going to, I formed a bond with the director of the program and will most likely be working with that person on my thesis. So it really helps when you've made them familiar with your name before your application lands on their table. Best of luck in the next round!

So I'm officially 0 for 5. And I'm published/presented at prestigious conference this year.

Just a question -- does anyone really ever get accepted to a program without having a faculty advocating for their acceptance?

So I'm officially 0 for 5. And I'm published/presented at prestigious conference this year.

Just a question -- does anyone really ever get accepted to a program without having a faculty advocating for their acceptance?

Honestly? This year, I think that might have been the case. There aren't as many film Ph.D programs out there (when compared to other humanities) and they also tend to be smaller (than say English or Comp. Lit). I don't know about most film programs--but I do know humanities programs generally cut spots drastically this year. I applied to 10 programs and just happen to be waitlisted at the one program I had connections at. I don't think that was a coincidence. Sadly, it will probably be the only potential offer I have this round. This season was really tough and I do think you probably had to know a faculty member or have a recommender that knows someone on the faculty. However, I am concerned that if this waitlist doesn't turn into an admit I won't have any better luck next round. =( Who knows! I encourage you not to take the outcome personally. You sound like a great candidate! Try again next year and hopefully things will be better. It's really hard to predict.

Thanks everyone -- actually this *is* my second year applying.... That said I have an offer from last year from my state school with a TA ship (stipend plus tuition remission) that I had deferred but since accepted -- it's in the English Dept but they will let me work on film for my dissertation and they do offer some film grad classes. So, I'm grateful for that, I suppose. I don't think applying again next year would do any good for me honestly unless I was able to make some very strategic friends ha.

Yes. I got accepted in University of Kansas (Tuition Waived/$13,000 FTE GTA). I've been applying to PhD programs for 4 years and this is my first, last and only acceptance. I had no faculty advocating for me.

Be persistent and never give up.

Hey!! Congratulations on ur acceptance with funding. I'm so happy for you :) So, no med school after all..

I love the U Kansas coursework and am sure u'll have a great time if u decide to head that way. Goodluck...

Yes. I got accepted in University of Kansas (Tuition Waived/$13,000 FTE GTA). I've been applying to PhD programs for 4 years and this is my first, last and only acceptance. I had no faculty advocating for me.

Thanks for the advice :) Congrats on your offer -- is it in the film dept or another related dept?