Film and Media Studies 2010-2011 Applications

aem88

General question--does anyone have any idea how long waitlists at these sort of programs are? I was waitlisted at Indiana (M.A.), and I have no idea how to put it into perspective--are there 10 people on the wait list? 20? Do I have a chance, and is anyone familiar with the process at Indy or similar programs? According to past results, they've taken 18/188 in the past. Thanks for any info and good luck to all!

Received an email from the grad coordinator at UCSB. Apparently, they've informed all the people who're rejected this yr. 'College is waiting for some pending financial info to make offers'. So if u havn't been notified, stay hopeful. (goosebumps)!!

Received an email from the grad coordinator at UCSB. Apparently, they've informed all the people who're rejected this yr. 'College is waiting for some pending financial info to make offers'. So if u havn't been notified, stay hopeful. (goosebumps)!!

Have you heard anything more? I noticed someone posted an acceptance (via website) yesterday, but there's still no decision available for me. I sent an email but haven't received a reply yet. I'm thinking this might point to being waitlisted :unsure:.

Hi everyone,

It sounds like a rough game out there. I'm not applying until next year, but I'm starting to do research now.

As for me-

3.8 from top 30 undergrad, Philosophy major

currently in masters program in Media Studies- combines production and theory, not a top school or very well known (but free)

no research or publications, but some experiencing teaching and TAing

I'm wondering if it's even worth my time to apply; so many people on this forum are having such a hard time and I haven't found many statistics on admits- I get that it is HARD though. Also, does anyone have advice on how/where to do research or publish? I've done a lot of writing, but right now don't have any channels or very accessible advisers.

Good luck to everyone waiting on decisions.

I think ur right. Two accepted candidates on this forum. It's ridiculous to wait so long..

Have you heard anything more? I noticed someone posted an acceptance (via website) yesterday, but there's still no decision available for me. I sent an email but haven't received a reply yet. I'm thinking this might point to being waitlisted :unsure:.

Greetings, I've been reading threads on this site for over a year now but this is my first time posting.

I also received a rejection via email from UCSB.

I was wondering if anyone knew much about how school's make decisions regarding international students.

I'm a Canadian, but have only applied to American schools for my PhD, mostly because my research interests and

corresponding teaching faculty can only be found in the US (I didn't want to apply overseas).

In the current economic climate, I'm assuming that it is more difficult for international students to get into U.S. programs

because of the greater cost - i.e. need for more funding etc. Does anyone know to what extent this may hinder my chances,

and those of other international applicants?

My assumption is that among other things, this is a reason for not getting into UCSB as I've heard from a number of people in

the field that the UC system has been hit the hardest in terms of available funding.

Are there any other international students reading this thread? Any info to share?

Here's my background:

B.A. - English - York University 2007

B.A. - Film Studies - Brock University 2009

currently finishing an M.A. - Film Studies - York University 2011

GPA 3.9 - including graduate level courses

Received a SSHRC research grant for 2010 (major award from Canadian gov't)

3 conference papers so far with 2 more in the next 6 months.

Applied to PhD programs at UCSB (rejected), USC, UT-Austin, Wisconsin, NYU, Yale and U-Iowa

Hi All,

Just wanted to update and commiserate. I've been officially rejected by one school, unofficially by another (they already did interviews and acceptances, so I know its out), so I'm just waiting on my last one (which is my top choice). I interviewed at UW-Madison in early January and still have not heard back. The person I interviewed with said I'd have a response by late Jan or early Feb. So last week I PM'd someone that I knew had an interview, they received an acceptance in late Jan, but their POI said that there were two rounds of interviews and they were in the first one.

I've since seen a rejection from this program from someone that had an interview, but have not heard anything at all myself. I'm not sure what that means for my status, but it feels so late in the game at this point. Last year I had an interview and received my rejection notice on Feb 8. I'm trying to decide if sending a polite email asking to see if my application is still under review would be a good idea. Probably not, but I'm just getting so tired of waiting...and waiting...and waiting. I guess I'll just keep trying to stay sane through the waiting. I think I can do that ;)

Anyway, I hope everyone is hearing good news or at least getting through the waiting! Best of luck!

Re: UCSB, I was told that they sent out "the majority" of deny notification and "a few offers" as well, and that I could expect to hear back mid-March when they have a better idea of whether or not they can make any more offers. I hope they can! mellow.gif

I've since seen a rejection from this program from someone that had an interview, but have not heard anything at all myself. I'm not sure what that means for my status, but it feels so late in the game at this point. Last year I had an interview and received my rejection notice on Feb 8. I'm trying to decide if sending a polite email asking to see if my application is still under review would be a good idea. Probably not, but I'm just getting so tired of waiting...and waiting...and waiting. I guess I'll just keep trying to stay sane through the waiting. I think I can do that ;)

Anyway, I hope everyone is hearing good news or at least getting through the waiting! Best of luck!

I also had an interview and was told that UW would not know until late February early March because of budget cuts throughout the UW system. I don't know if that helps, but you've also been through the process before.

I also had an interview and was told that UW would not know until late February early March because of budget cuts throughout the UW system. I don't know if that helps, but you've also been through the process before.

Thanks, that does help to know. Guess I'll just keep on waiting.

I was wondering if there were any other people here who only applied to masters programs instead of PhD programs. I've seen results from a number of schools regarding PhD candidates, but very little in terms of masters candidates.

I've applied to:

UT Austin

UCLA

Wisconsin-Madison

USC

BU

I've yet to hear anything from any of these schools in regards to MA decisions. I'm guessing most of these schools decide on the PhD candidates before the MA candidates, but I was wondering if there was anyone here that has heard anything regarding MA decisions.

I was wondering if there were any other people here who only applied to masters programs instead of PhD programs. I've seen results from a number of schools regarding PhD candidates, but very little in terms of masters candidates.

I've applied to:

UT Austin

UCLA

Wisconsin-Madison

USC

BU

I've yet to hear anything from any of these schools in regards to MA decisions. I'm guessing most of these schools decide on the PhD candidates before the MA candidates, but I was wondering if there was anyone here that has heard anything regarding MA decisions.

The only school I can comment on is UT Austin, which I know has only sent out their PhD acceptances/rejections. They might have sent out a few MA acceptances as well, but as far as I know, they usually send out MA acceptances in March. I have a feeling the other schools are similar, but I'm not sure.

So I noticed on the results page that there were 2 Harvard Film & Visual Studies admits on Saturday. Congrats to you both! Anyone wanna claim them?

Also, do either of you have any word on whether they've already contacted all the admits/how many they're taking this year? Or perhaps, were you invited to an admit weekend? I'm starting to consider this an implicit rejection...

So I noticed on the results page that there were 2 Harvard Film & Visual Studies admits on Saturday. Congrats to you both! Anyone wanna claim them?

Also, do either of you have any word on whether they've already contacted all the admits/how many they're taking this year? Or perhaps, were you invited to an admit weekend? I'm starting to consider this an implicit rejection...

Hi there -- I'm one of the people who was admitted to FVS at Harvard and who posted on the Results Board. Thanks for the congrats! The department told me that they accepted three people, and that we were all invited to visit campus toward the end of March. I haven't gotten the financial information or official offer letter yet. Feel free to PM me with any more questions, and best of luck to you!

On 2/25/2011 at 4:54 PM, 8675309 said:

So no word on NYU or WashU for anyone? It seems admits usually hear before the wave of rejections.

I'm 0 for 2 so far. Still waiting on 3 although Harvard obviously is a forthcoming rejection.

I'm 0 out of 2 as well. No word from NYU or WashU yet. WashU seems to be later than usual this year. NYU tends to be a March notification school. I have heard that NYU is only admitting 4 this year. Of course, that could just be hearsay.

This waiting game is unbearable! I applied to a few MA programs and a few PhD programs. The only school I've heard back from is U of M's PhD program and that was a negative. Too bad too cause I put in a lot of time and effort meeting with my POI, the dept. head and other professors in the program. But it is what it is! I also just put in an application to AU for a master's degree, thought it would be smart to have another option in the bag.

As for the posts about UT Austin's MA program, the program coordinator sent out an email a few days ago saying that decisions would be made by March 11th. If you're accepted, you'll be invited to come out for a couple of days. But I've been checking the website and no activity there so far. It'll probably be sometime next week. So anxious!

Good luck to everybody as they continue to wait it out :)

A Question about Yale:

I applied to the joint program, and my understanding is that you must be accepted to both the other department and the film program. The other department has already sent out notifications of rejections and acceptances. Do they still take the time to review your application in film if the other department is not interested, or do they send out a rejection at that point? If I haven't heard anything, could that mean I am still in the running? There seems to be a later wave of notifications for the joint film phds on the results board from previous years. Like a few of you, I am also waiting on NYU.

On 3/7/2011 at 3:19 PM, 8675309 said:

Got an official rejection email from WashU today -- now 0 for 4! Waiting on the last one...

Anyone going to New Orleans for the SCMS conference this week?

Same. Not too surprised since I never really contacted any POIs. They must be pretty efficient at WashU, though. They were the latest deadline for me by a month, yet still the first response.

I wish I could make it to SCMS! Sadly, finishing my thesis takes precedence over both spring break fun and other academic interests.