Unofficial Score vs. Actual Score?

university99

Hi everyone. Just took my GRE and did very, very well according to the unofficial score they gave me after it was done. Phew! Does anyone know of any instances where their actual official score was different than the score they saw on the screen? I really want my scores to stick!

I think I am just anxious now. Standardized testing sucks..

Hi everyone. Just took my GRE and did very, very well according to the unofficial score they gave me after it was done. Phew! Does anyone know of any instances where their actual official score was different than the score they saw on the screen? I really want my scores to stick!

I have never read or heard of anyone whose unofficial scores were different than their actual scores. I think the unofficial scores may just be "unofficial" just in case someone at the testing center reports suspicious activity of you or something, and it needs to be investigated. I could be totally off, but that is just how I saw it.

I have never read or heard of anyone whose unofficial scores were different than their actual scores. I think the unofficial scores may just be "unofficial" just in case someone at the testing center reports suspicious activity of you or something, and it needs to be investigated. I could be totally off, but that is just how I saw it.

I agree. I think I read that on the computerized test, they start you at 800 and bump you down (and up and down) according to how you answer. So I can't imagine that your official score could be different from the unofficial score without extenuating circumstances.

As others have mentioned, the unofficial score is almost certainly going to be your real score. In the years that our company has been preparing students for Computer Adaptive Tests such as the GRE and GMAT, we have never had a report from any of our students that their unofficial scores differed from the official score report. If you are very concerned you could contact ETS and ask them their opinion, but your unofficial scores should carry through. So since you said they were very good... congratulations!

Regards,

Taylor

I've taken it twice in the last five years and both times the scores matched exactly. Also, I've never heard of anyone whose scores didn't match.

• 1 month later...

Did you guys remember the score screen? Is it always that Verbal score first and Quantitative later? Is there always a combined score as well?

I dont remember seeing the combined score. I did not even look because the score was really surprising (in a good way) and now am nervous that I might have seen it wrong.

<br />I've taken it twice in the last five years and both times the scores matched exactly.  Also, I've never heard of anyone whose scores didn't match.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Only Verbal and Quantitative, listed separately.

No combined score and no percentile (which is new---years ago they also listed percentile scores---now you don't find out your percentile until you receive the notice in the mail).

Congratulations for getting a score that surprised you in a good way.

John

Edited by DrFaustus666

Thank you very much. I hope that this admissions season will surprise me in a good way too.

<br />Only Verbal and Quantitative, listed separately.  <br /><br />No combined score and no percentile (which is new---years ago they also listed percentile scores---now you don't find out your percentile until you receive the notice in the mail).<br /><br />Congratulations for getting a score that surprised you in a good way.<br /><br />John<br />
<br /><br /><br />

• 3 weeks later...

Apparently I'm quite the anomaly-- I took the test last week and called for scores by phone today to find out how I did on the writing. My official verbal score is 10 points lower than the unofficial score I had on test day. I called ETS customer service and got "the scores you receive immediately are unofficial and subject to change." I know 10 points isn't a huge deal; I'm still a bit peeved.