To pay or not to pay.

Beryl smile

Hey, my name's Beryl. I'm a 22 year old male student, living in Brooklyn NY.

I was recently accepted to Columbia U, School of General Studies. This was huge for me as I've never had a previous education (prior to my Associates at Kingsborough CC).

They've accepted about 40 of my credits, and after punching the numbers I've realized that it would cost me about 13K a year in loans (aside from living expense) to take 12 credits there per semester.

The question is, with me going into Clinical Psychology, hoping to go straight into a PHD program, is it worth this debt?

My other option is Hunter college, where because of financial aid I'd get paid to go there, a bit.

This issue is driving me insane, and I would really appreciate any and all help.

Thank you.

Edited by Beryl smile

Clinical Psychology programs are very competitive, from what I recall. I don't know much about Hunter, but I think that having the Columbia name attached to your resume would be helpful when applying to PhD programs. I do have a question, what is the School of General Studies include? Will you later apply to another school within Columbia? Or are you relegated to a degree in "General Studies"? If it's the latter, I would change my position and suggest you go with Hunter, where you can take psych courses and major in psychology.

Going into debt sucks! If you can pay it off or easily make small payments each month then go for it--otherwise forget it. Debt will control how you live. I have a MINIMUM payment of $1,000/month and with my MA all I got was a job that pays me $1,800/mo that leaves me with $800-not a lot for living in LA (I live at home with Mom and Dad and still break even each month after gas, food, med/dental bills, cell hpone, car payments, car insurance etc...and I don't even pay utilities or rent). Seriously work with a financial advisor and realistically look at your future job prospects, salary and debt payments. It's hard to imagine what it's like until you are in it and paying--and by then it's often too late.