PhD Applications Creative Writing 2022-2023

lenagator1997

Hey Everyone!

incoming 2nd year MFA CW student here! I have decided to take the insane plunge and apply to PhD programs in Creative Writing! I wanted this forum to be a place for those of us who are beginning/ are in/ continuing the application process. ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I completed my creative writing MFA a few years and I'm starting the Fall 2023 PhD process now.  My MFA focus was poetry but I write a lot more fiction now. I'm applying to:

• University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
  • Western Michigan
  • SUNY Binghamton
  • SUNY Buffalo
  • maybe others

I need to be someplace cold and I need to be fully funded.

I was accepted to UW Milwaukee (with full funding) and to SUNY Binghamton (with no funding) a couple of years ago but the COVID hit and really changed things in my world for a while, so I'm trying again.

A question: have any of you felt pushback and criticism from family or friends for pursuing advanced degrees in writing? I'm kind of a sore thumb in my family and a lot of them don't understand why I feel the need for more school when I already have a well-paying job. (It's a soul-emptying, non-creative job and I'm working to redirect my path.)

Good luck to all.

• 4 months later...
On 11/10/2022 at 8:18 AM, fritzapie said:

I completed my creative writing MFA a few years and I'm starting the Fall 2023 PhD process now.  My MFA focus was poetry but I write a lot more fiction now. I'm applying to:

• University of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
  • Western Michigan
  • SUNY Binghamton
  • SUNY Buffalo
  • maybe others

I need to be someplace cold and I need to be fully funded.

I was accepted to UW Milwaukee (with full funding) and to SUNY Binghamton (with no funding) a couple of years ago but the COVID hit and really changed things in my world for a while, so I'm trying again.

A question: have any of you felt pushback and criticism from family or friends for pursuing advanced degrees in writing? I'm kind of a sore thumb in my family and a lot of them don't understand why I feel the need for more school when I already have a well-paying job. (It's a soul-emptying, non-creative job and I'm working to redirect my path.)

Good luck to all.

Hey There,

Did you have any luck with admissions for this round? I just committed to SUNY Binghamton!