2023 Applicants

For those who've heard back from Rutgers, did your portal status ever change? Mine is still on application submitted but not under review, and I'm worried that it's been flagged somehow (because I didn't submit a TOEFL score, even though I should have been waived) and is never actually reviewed.

14 minutes ago, zanthia122 said:

For those who've heard back from Rutgers, did your portal status ever change? Mine is still on application submitted but not under review, and I'm worried that it's been flagged somehow (because I didn't submit a TOEFL score, even though I should have been waived) and is never actually reviewed.

Hi, I have an answer for you. This is what the DGS told me: "Please be assured that your application was reviewed by the committee.  Because of a glitch in the new computer system, those files that were manually forwarded to the committee for review were not marked as "under review"-- but they were!"

I, too, had not submitted English proficiency scores and was ultimately rejected. I assume that they have already sent out the acceptances and they told me that rejections will be sent out in a few weeks. I am afraid I don't have good news from Rutgers for you.

1 hour ago, postcolonialdialectics said:

Hi, I have an answer for you. This is what the DGS told me: "Please be assured that your application was reviewed by the committee.  Because of a glitch in the new computer system, those files that were manually forwarded to the committee for review were not marked as "under review"-- but they were!"

I, too, had not submitted English proficiency scores and was ultimately rejected. I assume that they have already sent out the acceptances and they told me that rejections will be sent out in a few weeks. I am afraid I don't have good news from Rutgers for you.

Ahh, thank you! I wasn’t expecting an acceptance either, but I like to know what my options are before making a decision. it’s a bit frustrating that the rejections take so long to make their way to us.

6 minutes ago, zanthia122 said:

Ahh, thank you! I wasn’t expecting an acceptance either, but I like to know what my options are before making a decision. it’s a bit frustrating that the rejections take so long to make their way to us.

For sure. At this point, if I see acceptance on gradcafe and don't hear back, I just email them and walk over everyone's ego haha. 

What do y'all think about emailing schools to ask when to expect a response? I have a few schools left who I haven't heard from, and of course it's not considered "late" until after March 15th, but I am a little worried about one.

I applied to UMass Amherst for a PhD in English, and I saw about 5 different posts about responses back in late January, but I still haven't heard anything, which makes me wonder if I should email them, in case there was some issue and they meant to send my rejection or something lol

15 hours ago, castyournet said:

I got an email from the program director at Columbia's Middle East Institute. She said I had been admitted to their MA program. I am confused. Does anybody here know about Columbia's Middle East Institute. Although I have been through their website and all, I am not sure. Plus, I also got an offer from George Washington with MA tuition fellowship. I don't know which one to prefer.  

I don't know about that program specifically, but I would always choose a funded program over an unfunded program! Both schools are good schools and it's not worth going into debt over to get a masters (unless you are independently wealthy and the high tuition and living costs will not hurt you financially). I always advocate for only attending fully funded masters programs in the humanities. I've heard that Columbia, NYU, and Chicago offer their unfunded masters programs to people who they don't accept into their PhD programs as a way to make money off of people. So unless Columbia is offering you a tuition waiver and a stipend, then I wouldn't go for it.

1 hour ago, swhittle said:

What do y'all think about emailing schools to ask when to expect a response? I have a few schools left who I haven't heard from, and of course it's not considered "late" until after March 15th, but I am a little worried about one.

I applied to UMass Amherst for a PhD in English, and I saw about 5 different posts about responses back in late January, but I still haven't heard anything, which makes me wonder if I should email them, in case there was some issue and they meant to send my rejection or something lol

Was waitlisted there back in January so I would definitely reach out now. 

2 minutes ago, postcolonialdialectics said:

Was waitlisted there back in January so I would definitely reach out now. 

What do you recommend I say in the email, if you have any ideas?

9 minutes ago, swhittle said:

What do you recommend I say in the email, if you have any ideas?

I would just let them know my continued interest in the program. If you have other offers, it would be great to mention that you're hoping to make a decision soon and you'd like to get an idea of when to expect a reply. Especially if it is one of your top choices, tell them that you don't want to accept other offers before you hear from them. And as is academically appreciated, be subtly apologetic about this entire thing lol.

1 hour ago, sadgirl said:

did anyone else get an email about an open house from BU?? it lowkey gave me a heart attack 

Same! I emailed them and they said, “The English Department aims to release decisions before the end of March, and we will do our very best to inform you by that time. Thank you for reaching out, and for your patience!” 

26 minutes ago, ittybittylitty said:

Same! I emailed them and they said, “The English Department aims to release decisions before the end of March, and we will do our very best to inform you by that time. Thank you for reaching out, and for your patience!” 

omg thank you for contacting them!! it genuinely made me v nervous. but end of March?? why not release rejections at the same time 😭😭

I am so grateful that my cycle has ended (still waiting for Penn State, but I have already made peace with my rejection). 

I saw some people accepted to the University of Arizona English and rhet./comp programs on the results page. I would be happy to connect if any of you want to claim those acceptances and plan on attending! 

For everyone else in this forum, I am rooting for you and wishing you sanity and confidence in your decisions as April 15 approaches and the waitlists roll. 

All the best, y'all, and thank you for everything! 

58 minutes ago, firwidgeon said:

i didn't get any email from them--is it an open houses for acceptances? 

nono it came from a mailing list I’m assuming! it’s like a q&a thing about graduate programs. apart from that, I have heard nothing from them  

3 minutes ago, sadgirl said:

nono it came from a mailing list I’m assuming! it’s like a q&a thing about graduate programs. apart from that, I have heard nothing from them  

ohhh got it! same here--i haven't heard from them. i guess that the first round of rejections went out before, but i wish they didn't send out decisions in rounds 🙃 

11 minutes ago, firwidgeon said:

ohhh got it! same here--i haven't heard from them. i guess that the first round of rejections went out before, but i wish they didn't send out decisions in rounds 🙃 

yup I hate the rounds as well. hopefully they send out waitlists soon so we can stop being in this weird limbo 🫠

19 hours ago, sadgirl said:

speaking of Boston schools, does anyone know what on earth is going on w NEU? 

Hey! I haven't heard from BU yet either, but at the UConn students weekend I met someone who said they attended a pre-admissions at NEU that was for the top 20 candidates, and that they were planning to accept 4 of the 20 invited. I obviously can't verify the info so take this with a grain of salt, but I decided to take it as an assumed rejection. The same person also told me they were waitlisted at BU, so that's another I am just counting myself out of as well.

I am currently struggling so hard to choose between my two options--do I follow the money, or the lifestyle?? I love both faculty, but one is super rural and the other is in a city I love, and the city school is paying a few K less a year. The rural school also has a 2/2 teaching load versus a 1/1.... but I am genuinely so split. So many pros and cons to each. How do I choose???

12 minutes ago, hay bagel said:

Hey! I haven't heard from BU yet either, but at the UConn students weekend I met someone who said they attended a pre-admissions at NEU that was for the top 20 candidates, and that they were planning to accept 4 of the 20 invited. I obviously can't verify the info so take this with a grain of salt, but I decided to take it as an assumed rejection. The same person also told me they were waitlisted at BU, so that's another I am just counting myself out of as well.

thank you for the info!! what a bummer tho haha I wish good things for everyone waiting to hear! why would they leave people in a limbo like this if they already have accepts and waitlists sorted 🫠

10 minutes ago, sadgirl said:

thank you for the info!! what a bummer tho haha I wish good things for everyone waiting to hear! why would they leave people in a limbo like this if they already have accepts and waitlists sorted 🫠

I know! Like if you know you don't want me then just say so, let me move on!