GRE requirement predictions for 2022-2023?

hambee

Hello,

What are everyone's thoughts on whether sociology programs will continue the trend of making the GRE optional or eliminating the requirement altogether? Michigan, for example, has already stated that GRE scores will not be required (see: https://lsa.umich.edu/soc/graduates/application-procedures/application-materials-checklist.html), with some other schools stating they are optional. Has anyone been reaching out to other programs to ask about the 2022-2023 cycle? Do you plan to take it, or do you think it may not be worth doing? I'm trying to figure out if I'm going to spend the time preparing for it or if time is better spent trying to do other things to boost application chances...thanks!

Hi. I've already contacted a lot of schools (Berkeley, UCLA, Brown, etc.) and they will be requiring GRE. John Hopkins, UCSB, Michigan and perhpas Madison are going to drop it. So, unfortunately, we will need to preparte that shitty test.

28 minutes ago, anxiousbutalive said:

Hi. I've already contacted a lot of schools (Berkeley, UCLA, Brown, etc.) and they will be requiring GRE. John Hopkins, UCSB, Michigan and perhpas Madison are going to drop it. So, unfortunately, we will need to preparte that shitty test.

Thank you for updating us with that! Interesting that Madison may drop, since it's heavy on quant as a program (to my knowledge). 

Good luck with your prep. ?

4 hours ago, anxiousbutalive said:

Just for curiosity, which schools have stated that GRE is optional? I'm only aware of JH. NYU, UNC-Chapel HIll, UC Irvine all are going to require GRE.

I'm still in the preliminary program research phase (along with my partner who is applying but in another discipline), and here are the sociology programs I have found that do not seem to require it (so far): 

Michigan, Syracuse, Yale, Toronto, New School, Boston University, Texas A&M, Oxford, McMaster, University of Washington, Purdue, UCSB

Schools that made it optional last year but not indicating this year's decision: 

Maryland, OSU, WashU STL, Minnesota, Cornell, UVA, Chicago, Oregon 

If my info is wrong, anyone please feel free to correct.

Madison didn't require GRE last year (optional). However, my guts tell me that this year they will (a scholar from there will confirm this soon). Cambridge and most of England universities do not require GRE (LSE, Cambridge, KCL, UCL, etc...)

Edited by anxiousbutalive

By the way, has anyone planning to apply this fall tried to sign up for a GRE subject test? I just checked minutes ago and the one available Physics test in in April 2023... 

Hi,

First-time applicant here and was not a sociology major. Plan to apply to PhD program this fall (change from another PhD program). I would like to connect with anyone who are intersted in chatting and support each other as needed :). Feel free to DM.

• 2 weeks later...

My prediction is that some program will drop GRE indefinitely or permanently, because they believe GRE is not a good measure of academic abilities; while some program only dropped GRE because of COVID related emergencies, and they would resume the GRE requirement once they think we are no longer in a global pandemic crisis.

On 7/3/2022 at 6:16 AM, twosweet said:

Hi,

First-time applicant here and was not a sociology major. Plan to apply to PhD program this fall (change from another PhD program). I would like to connect with anyone who are intersted in chatting and support each other as needed :). Feel free to DM.

If you want to talk to a grad student, feel free to DM me. I was a non-sociology major who applied a couple cycles ago and am happy to help answer any questions you have!

• 4 weeks later...

I reached out to a few programs about this and here's what they said, verbatim:

UMass Amherst: "GRE scores are not required, and if applicants choose to submit them they will not be a factor in the admission decision."

Cornell: "For the Fall 2023 admission the GRE is recommended but not required"

Boston College: "GRE will be strongly recommended but not required for this coming cycle."

"Recommended but not required" is so hard to parse. My impression is that unless a department explicitly says that scores are not considered in decisions or unless you are not even able to submit scores, then they are worth submitting because we'll be compared with applicants who ARE submitting scores. Admissions folks may interpret the lack of scores as a lack of commitment or seriousness about pursuing the program, or raise questions about an applicant's ability to perform at a grad level without the GRE scores there as some kind of measure (although we can all agree the GRE is a really crappy and inaccurate measure of this, right?). 

On 8/11/2022 at 10:01 PM, cappuccino336 said:

NYU will require GRE for 2023. With only average scores, I’m debating on retesting, but NYU is the only program on my list that will require! 

I recieved two different answers from NYU:

1) Dear XXXX,

Thank you for your email. Application requirements and deadlines have not yet been finalized for fall 2023. Please check back in mid-September, when the fall 2023 application is available, for updated information.

Best,

Graduate Enrollment Services

-------------------

2) Hi XXX,

Thank you for reaching out. The GRE is required and you can find more information about requirements here. Should you have any further questions please contact Professor Iddo Tavory, our Director of Graduate Studies.

Best,
Celine