MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

Hello all! I am wrapping up all of my applications and just thinking about how the next couple of months will play out. 

I applied and was waitlisted to two schools last year, so this is my second round. As it approaches mid-January, I'm reminded of the amount of anxiety I felt last year during the whole interview process, waiting for admissions decisions, and then praying to get off of waitlists (which did not happen). 

I'm wishing you all luck, and hoping that this year I can stay calm & present in my current circumstances without getting too caught up on the future. While I really hope things work out this time, I'm trying to be open to the idea that if it is meant to happen, it'll happen. 

5 hours ago, paintgal said:

Hi guys! Longtime lurker here. If people could respond to this thread when they get interviews and where from / for what program, that would be awesome! 

I will definitely come back to this thread to let everyone know when I receive interview invites and from what program. I will also try to remember the questions they ask. These are the programs I applied to: 

• UCLA (Painting & Drawing)
  • Stanford (Art Practice)
  • UCSD (Visual Arts)
  • CSULB (Art, Concentration in Studio Art)
  • Northwestern University (Art, Theory, Practice)
  • U of Oregon (Art)
  • UNC (Studio Art)
  • UGA (Studio Art and Design)

I looked at last years forum to get an idea of when my list of schools send out interview invites to my major specifically. I have specific dates I expect to hear back but they could send interview invites on different weeks of January and February each year. What programs did you apply to? 

Edited by Gaara

First year applying!

I applied to the following ceramics MFA programs: Tyler, Alfred, RISD, SAIC, Penn State, CU Boulder, VCU, and Kent State.

So far I have two interviews set up !!! One with Tyler and one with Penn State. I’ll let you know how it goes and what questions I can remember.

Good luck!

Hi!

I’ve been lurking, but I figured I should contribute any info I get. First time graduate school applicant, so I have little idea what to expect from the entire process. 

I applied to CU Boulder, RISD, Tyler, Yale, SAIC, Arizona State, VCU, Rutgers, Carnegie Mellon, MICA, and Kent State.

I just got an interview to Tyler (painting program).

You all have been so helpful thank you!! First time applying to a mfa, 3 years out of undergrad art school. I applied to RISD and Yale and just received my first invite interview (risd painting). Does anyone have any experience with RISD mfa? I am more familiar with the undergrad and would love to know what ya'll think about the mfa program, blessings.

9 minutes ago, criticalfabulation said:

You all have been so helpful thank you!! First time applying to a mfa, 3 years out of undergrad art school. I applied to RISD and Yale and just received my first invite interview (risd painting). Does anyone have any experience with RISD mfa? I am more familiar with the undergrad and would love to know what ya'll think about the mfa program, blessings.

Congrats! RISD’s MFA is a really amazing program! I’ll be keeping my eyes open now to see if I get an invite to interview for sculpture 

Has anybody heard anything from Michigan State? I am wondering if my application went through because I submitted two transcripts (for my Bachelors and Masters) and it shows my Masters transcript is missing even though it technically isn't.

On 1/18/2023 at 8:37 AM, paintgal said:

Hi guys! Longtime lurker here. If people could respond to this thread when they get interviews and where from / for what program, that would be awesome! 

Hi, I have an interview with UC Davis for a Drawing and Painting MFA.

Best luck to you

WTF....I JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW INVITE FROM NORTHWESTERN UNIVERSITY (ATP)....?

I'm so shocked right now, they only accept like 5 people and give crazy good stipend...

The email says that interviews take place on February 17 & February 18. They let me know that the interview starts with a presentation I have to make that should include 2-4 works and be no longer than 5 minutes. And the total interview will be no longer than 20 minutes. It seems intense...I need to go for a walk lol ? 

If anyone has experience with NW interviews, please let me know anything you can. I'll be looking at previous forums to see what to expect. 

3 minutes ago, Gaara said:

I'm so shocked right now, they only accept like 5 people and give crazy good stipend...

The email says that interviews take place on February 17 & February 18. They let me know that the interview starts with a presentation I have to make that should include 2-4 works and be no longer than 5 minutes. And the total interview will be no longer than 20 minutes. It seems intense...I need to go for a walk lol ? 

If anyone has experience with NW interviews, please let me know anything you can. I'll be looking at previous forums to see what to expect. 

Don't be nervous! You'll be great!!!!  ?

2 hours ago, Gaara said:

I got the same email! definitely freaking out ?. Are you planning on going to do your interview in person?

29 minutes ago, onetwothreefourfive said:

I got the same email! definitely freaking out ?. Are you planning on going to do your interview in person?

I chose the Zoom interview option because I don't live in Illinois. I was definitely freaking out as well, the interview format is very unique compared to other programs. But at least we have a little less than a month to prepare. We will do great! 

I'm just grateful for the opportunity, hundreds of amazing artists and they only choose 5....I was mentally preparing myself for my rejection letter lol 

Current MFA student here. Just want to first wish everyone good luck and I’m so proud of you. I don’t want to accidentally doxx myself here but I do want to share that when you get your offers, make sure you talk to the current students and graduates (if possible). Make sure funding is dependable (for funded program) and the dynamics between faculty members and students are not hostile. I wish I had talked to previous graduates before enrolling, because we just had a dramatic fall out last semester in my department. I still enjoy academia, but my experience kind of traumatized me a bit (racist comments from a professor, unresponsive and passive aggressive faculty members and funding that almost fell through due to admin mistakes…). Luckily my mentor is the best teacher I have ever had in my life and she protected many students in my department. Just make sure you know what you are getting into before you commit! Best of luck 

UMN Twin Cities just sent out interview requests and I'm shocked- they're only 10 minutes each. The other two I've heard from are also only 20 min each. Kinda surprised at how brief they are, but in a way it has eased my nerves a bit