MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

3 hours ago, u54rterytuuyrtrtrty said:

does anybody know how many people does yale interview and then how many do they accept? for sculpture

According to their 2022–23 bulletin, it says "Approximately eleven students are admitted each year" for Sculpture (page 23).

In this 2007 article, it says that 31 sculpture finalists were interviewed, 10 would be admitted. So I would guess that maybe a little higher than 31 is how many they interviewed unless they decided to interview a lot more this year?

1 hour ago, futuredesigner said:

According to their 2022–23 bulletin, it says "Approximately eleven students are admitted each year" for Sculpture (page 23).

In this 2007 article, it says that 31 sculpture finalists were interviewed, 10 would be admitted. So I would guess that maybe a little higher than 31 is how many they interviewed unless they decided to interview a lot more this year?

Do you know how how many people Yale interview for Painting/Printmaking?

Nvm: I read the article, 70 finalists for 21 places

Edited by lebleu

6 hours ago, lebleu said:

Wow I just received an acceptance email from RISD Painting in the middle of the night from the Program Director JACKIE GENDEL. So extremely grateful feeling like I want to cry.

WOW CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! The application process really speeds up after the interview invite, huh? ? When was your interview?

My updates: interviewed with SVA a couple weeks ago, rejected from SAIC a couple days ago, and requested to interview with Pratt a couple minutes ago! Still waiting on word from University of Oregon, MassArt, and Tulane, applied to all for Sculpture/Fine Arts. Good luck out there all, can’t wait to just have my answers and take a break from refreshing my email constantly!!

2 hours ago, futuredesigner said:

WOW CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!! The application process really speeds up after the interview invite, huh? ? When was your interview?

Hello, I had my interview with RISD on Feb 7th. This year they have 200+ applications for Painting, 36 are selected for interview and 10 admitted. The Program Director told me she wants me to know immediately so she send me an email at 3AM in Providence... I'm deeply moved by her gesture that I cry. I'm an international student apply with a Fulbright scholarship so my case might be a bit different though.

I hope anyone here had an interview will soon be received the admitted email soon! 

Edited by lebleu

7 minutes ago, lebleu said:

Hello, I had my interview with RISD on Feb 7th. This year they have 200+ applications for Painting, 36 are selected for interview and 10 admitted. The Program Director told me she wants me to know immediately so she send me an email at 3AM in Providence... I'm deeply moved by her gesture that I cry. I'm an international student apply with a Fulbright scholarship so my case might be a bit different though.

I hope anyone here had an interview will soon be received the admitted email soon! 

Wow! That's a lot more interview finalists than I thought... ? So awesome of her to let you know early, she must really want you to join! And no waiting game. ?

Anyone have any information on the graphic design interviews at RISD?

Hi, an update for anyone interested. I got interviews this weekend from RISD ceramics, Umass Amherst, and UConn. The RISD interview was yesterday and they accepted me on the spot. I have a lot to still figure out about funding. Still primarily waiting on Hunter and UCLA. Rutgers too, but that seems less likely cause people have already heard back. 

1 hour ago, Yoasianguy said:

Would anyone be open to share their portfolio?

I don't know if you were looking for a particular medium, but here is the graphic design portfolio I submitted through Slideroom to several universities. At least future applicants on here will get an idea on how to display their work. It's about 17MB which is just under the 20MB limit.

https://www.alexquintanilla.com/portfolio

I interviewed yesterday and it was a very relaxed and cordial interview. They asked for things about my work in general and about what would I want to develop in saic in particular. I was interviewed by the graduate coordinator, a student and the foundry coordinator since I applied to sculpture. I was then given time to ask questions and that was it! Pretty relaxed. Hope everyone had good interviews! 

8 hours ago, onetwothreefourfive said:

Hi, an update for anyone interested. I got interviews this weekend from RISD ceramics, Umass Amherst, and UConn. The RISD interview was yesterday and they accepted me on the spot. I have a lot to still figure out about funding. Still primarily waiting on Hunter and UCLA. Rutgers too, but that seems less likely cause people have already heard back. 

On the spot?! Congratulations!!!! That's amazing!

41 minutes ago, Huis.clos said:

Can anyone share their experience with their RISD interview? I'm applying to their textile program but insight from any department would be appreciated!

Mine is Painting. One tip I can give you is to study/do heavy research on your department's faculty. I did a lot of research, memorized all the key points of their CV/practice, and can link them to my practice/what I want to do in RISD and they all smile a lot when I mention that.

got rejected from my top schools today, ah well! if anyone’s already been offered a place can they share their portfolio? (In any medium - mine was in painting)

might help future MFA students as well to see what a successful portfolio looks like :) 

Hi everyone! 
I applied to these places for painting 

university of Washington (still waiting)

Washington state (still waiting) 

university of Oregon (still waiting) 

university of Wisconsin Madison (still waiting) 

VCU (still waiting) 

university of Colorado Boulder (interviewed) 

Maine college of art and design (interviewed) 

Northwestern (denied) 

Michigan state (still waiting)  

Ohio state (still waiting) 

has anyone heard back from any of these schools specifically for the painting programs?