MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

1 hour ago, calipainter said:

Yeah I’m not super hopeful lol but I would like to know for sure! ?

The fact that no one has heard from UCLA Painting/Drawing gives me a lil hope. But someone could've heard back from Painting/Drawing and they just aren't in this forum. 

I feel like it's very rare to do an interview in March, interviews seem to be for February for most schools but I could be wrong. At this point I would be shocked if I got good news from UCLA, UCSD, or U of O. The best thing that could happen is me being on their waitlist 

////

On another note: Does anyone know if it's normal for a school to not reply to your thank you email after your interview? I emailed the professor that seemed to be leading the interview. I did the typical thank you email and got no response. Idk how the professor would even respond to it so I don't think it's a big deal ?‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Gkrenz said:

Damn, guess I’m not going to Cranbrook lol. No interview set up from then. Bummer.

Mine was for painting, idk how they run things for anyone else. Sorry if I hit you with the bummer news. We will all get to the finish line one way or another here!

3 minutes ago, Gaara said:

The fact that no one has heard from UCLA Painting/Drawing gives me a lil hope. But someone could've heard back from Painting/Drawing and they just aren't in this forum. 

I feel like it's very rare to do an interview in March, interviews seem to be for February for most schools but I could be wrong. At this point I would be shocked if I got good news from UCLA, UCSD, or U of O. The best thing that could happen is me being on their waitlist 

////

On another note: Does anyone know if it's normal for a school to not reply to your thank you email after your interview? I emailed the professor that seemed to be leading the interview. I did the typical thank you email and got no response. Idk how the professor would even respond to it so I don't think it's a big deal ?‍♂️

Yeah don’t overthink that! Delete that thought from your brain! I cannot imagine creative professionals are the best at email inbox management .

I got a reply this round from a thank you… where my name was autocorrected to a different first name, the whole email was unpunctuated… but also had an incredibly thoughtful attached essay to read that showed the professor had really understood me. I imagine everyone is just busy and emails get buried! You did your part! It’s out of your hands now :)

3 minutes ago, E_b said:

Yeah don’t overthink that! Delete that thought from your brain! I cannot imagine creative professionals are the best at email inbox management .

I got a reply this round from a thank you… where my name was autocorrected to a different first name, the whole email was unpunctuated… but also had an incredibly thoughtful attached essay to read that showed the professor had really understood me. I imagine everyone is just busy and emails get buried! You did your part! It’s out of your hands now :)

Yeah you right! I honestly don't think it's a big deal, I don't expect someone to thank my thank you lol....it was probably over 10 finalists competing for 5 spots, they probably don't respond to thank you emails intentionally. 

1 hour ago, Gaara said:

////

I had interviewed for two schools and sent thank you emails to professors. I didn't get a reply from the faculty of one school (but they read it), on the other hand, get simple thx replies from the other one. I was grateful to receive replies from them fr but I wouldn't mind that even if no one responded to thank you email. I think it's no more than an email written to your gratitude(and guess everyone sends it).

1 hour ago, E_b said:

Mine was for painting, idk how they run things for anyone else. Sorry if I hit you with the bummer news. We will all get to the finish line one way or another here!

haha don't sweat it, I'd rather hear it from people in here so I get a soft-landing for the eventual email. I like being able to practice my rejection-face

I didn't write any thank you emails, because it just didn't occur to me that I was allowed to have more contact, and then it felt too late by the time I saw on here that other people did it.

I'm still waiting to hear back from two schools I interviewed at (UT Austin and U of Arizona), both about 3 weeks ago. Do you think it's too late to send a thank you email now and just express my continued interest in their programs? 

Edit: just got an email waitlisted at UT. I guess that answers that piece! Bummer. 

Edited by edgecase

47 minutes ago, edgecase said:

I didn't write any thank you emails, because it just didn't occur to me that I was allowed to have more contact, and then it felt too late by the time I saw on here that other people did it.

I'm still waiting to hear back from two schools I interviewed at (UT Austin and U of Arizona), both about 3 weeks ago. Do you think it's too late to send a thank you email now and just express my continued interest in their programs? 

Edit: just got an email waitlisted at UT. I guess that answers that piece! Bummer. 

The standard for sending thank you emails is to send it within 24 hours after the interview and never later than a week. Sending a thank you email 3 weeks after the interview can come off as sloppy or rude. Maybe you can reach out asking a thoughtful question about the program and incorporate your thank you smoothly at the end. But 3 weeks is a long time, I'm sure the program already knows who they want to accept. If you think the email can push you over the edge from being waitlisted to being accepted, then by all means go for it. This is just my honest thoughts on your situation but my opinion could be completely wrong. 

You can kind of think of the interview process like online dating. If you go on a date and really like the girl, would you still reach out after you let 3 weeks go by without texting her? She may be offended that you didn't think to let her know how much you enjoyed the date sooner. In this case the date is the interview and the girl is the interviewers. (Maybe a bad comparison but you know what I mean LOL) 

Edited by Gaara

An update for anyone waiting to hear from Bard, I just called them to see when interview requests and decisions would go out. They said interview requests will go out by the end of this week and decisions will go out by the end of March. If you don't hear by them by the end of this weekend, unfortunately you should assume you didn't get in. ? 

Edited by yes_no

49 minutes ago, yes_no said:

An update for anyone waiting to hear from Bard, I just called them to see when interview requests and decisions would go out. They said interview requests will go out by the end of this week and decisions will go out by the end of March. If you don't hear by them by the end of this weekend, unfortunately you should assume you didn't get in. ? 

Hey good to know they haven't all gone out already! There's still some hope. (And it's the hope that kills you.)

For all those waiting: just heard from my friend who is currently at UCLA that painting interviews did indeed go out. Don't have any further information (when they did, via email or phone etc), but hopefully this brings closure to all those waiting on it (including me!). 

Edited by art12345

12 minutes ago, art12345 said:

For all those waiting: just heard from my friend who is currently at UCLA that painting interviews did indeed go out. Don't have any further information (when they did, via email or phone etc), but hopefully this brings closure to all those waiting on it (including me!). 

THANK YOUUU!! Feels very good to let go and confirm my UCLA rejection. I'm pretty sure I won't be waitlisted either because it makes more sense for them to waitlist people they interviewed. 

2 hours ago, Gkrenz said:

haha don't sweat it, I'd rather hear it from people in here so I get a soft-landing for the eventual email. I like being able to practice my rejection-face

For sure, I found this forum last year and was thankful it gave me that soft landing. It was my first time applying and I had absolutely no idea about timelines or interviews. Been a great resource. I think I got rejections from 4 schools so far this year officially but there’s another 4 who I’m in that position with because of this forum. Thankful I’m not wondering. 

2 hours ago, yes_no said:

I received an interview request with Bard on 2/20.

On 2/19/2023 at 9:31 AM, cease.and.perish said:

Hi!!! Has anyone heard from Cornell? I applied in sculpture and am so nervous cus it’s been crickets

heres what I’ve heard back so far

yale: rejected (figured)

risd: ask to interview and interviewed last week

rutgers: asked to interview and will be attending the in person interview day on the 24th

I also applied to Cornell sculpture and I haven't heard a thing. I've been nervous. Good luck with your rutgers interview. I almost applied there. 

hi all,

i'm so glad i found this forum i am planning on applying next year and hearing everyone's experiences has been very helpful. congratulations to everyone who has gotten accepted, and hang in there for anyone else waiting for interviews/interview requests.

my first choice school is columbia and i plan on applying next year. i know this is very early on to ask the 2023 freakout forum but i'm worried i'll forget to ask this again next year so while i'm on here, has anyone had an interview with columbia? if so, can i ask please ask what kind of questions they asked and the general process of how interviews / interview requests / acceptances go?

4 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

I also applied to Cornell sculpture and I haven't heard a thing. I've been nervous. Good luck with your rutgers interview. I almost applied there. 

I visited Cornell for sculpture and would highly advise you don’t attend!! The program is a mess - the students told me they can’t get access to sculpture equipment because a tenured professor who won’t leave takes up the entire space (something I witnessed) and there are professors who make sexist and inappropriate comments to women’s work. I’m sure in time they can figure out a proper system as they recently acquired the old dean from Hunter (or something like that) and they have money to spare but I personally would not recommend spending your time in an MFA there from what I heard and saw 

3 minutes ago, Sculpturegirl101 said:

I visited Cornell for sculpture and would highly advise you don’t attend!! The program is a mess - the students told me they can’t get access to sculpture equipment because a tenured professor who won’t leave takes up the entire space (something I witnessed) and there are professors who make sexist and inappropriate comments to women’s work. I’m sure in time they can figure out a proper system as they recently acquired the old dean from Hunter (or something like that) and they have money to spare but I personally would not recommend spending your time in an MFA there from what I heard and saw 

Oh geeze, that sounds intense. Thank you for your feedback about their program. Yes, the old Hunter professor is the reason I applied to Cornell. Did you visit this year? did you apply there? Or decide not to after your visit? 

2 hours ago, art12345 said:

Ah Thank you for the update!!

13 minutes ago, Sweetie123 said:

Oh geeze, that sounds intense. Thank you for your feedback about their program. Yes, the old Hunter professor is the reason I applied to Cornell. Did you visit this year? did you apply there? Or decide not to after your visit?

I visited in September 2022 - I chose not to apply after visiting