MFA 2023 Freak Out Forum

SocialKonstruct

4 hours ago, bloopers said:

Has anyone heard back from ArtCenter (Art MFA) after their interview? They seem to be taking longer than most places to get back fml 

Nope. Same boat and they said a few weeks out. In the same category.

3 hours ago, hehehehehey said:

Do you guys know if SAIC will send out rejection after interview? I haven't heard back at all, and I see a few has their results already. Should I email them to double check? 

I'm in the same boat-- I emailed admissions yesterday to see if I had missed anything but haven't heard back from them.

Wellllll- congrats to everyone and your efforts this year! This was my first time round applying to grad school, and it was way more intense than I imagined lol. Wouldn't have been able to do it alone, so thank you.

My final list for acceptances:
UChicago
SAIC
MICA
Pratt
Boston U
MassArt
CalArts
Northwestern 

😀 So fortunate to ping-pong stress and positivity with you all. Best of luck!
I'm likely heading to Chicago - hmu if you'll be in the area too

Edited by reallyfamousartist

On 3/10/2023 at 12:16 AM, risaurus said:

Hey guys, updating my college decisions for MFA/MA Graphic Design:

US

1. RISD - Rejected
  2. Yale - Rejected
  3. CalArts - Accepted (Awaiting $ Details)
  4. SAIC - Rejected
  5. Pratt - Accepted (Awaiting $ Details)
  6. CCA - Accepted (50% $)
  7. VCUArts - Waitlisted
  8. MICA - Accepted (35% $)
  9. Boston University SVA- Accepted (85% $)
  10. UIC - Accepted (25% $ and TAship for 2nd year with 5k stipend per semester)

UK/EU

1. Central Saint Martins - Accepted
  2. Aalto - Interview soon
  3. Glasgow School of Art - Rejected
  4. London College of Communication - Accepted
  5. Royal College of Art (2nd round) - Silence
  6. Royal Danish Academy - Silence

I like all these colleges and I can afford to go into debt to a certain extent. I have no idea if my priority should be to choose a college which is the most economically feasible or the one which is ranked highly!

Is it possible that I know the deadline for accepting your offer to CalArts? I got on the waitlist for CalArts and I wanted to know how long I have to wait for the decision notifications (for the waitlists). 

I also got accepted to CCA so I’m running out for time to wait. TT

1 hour ago, AcceptMePlz said:

Is it possible that I know the deadline for accepting your offer to CalArts? I got on the waitlist for CalArts and I wanted to know how long I have to wait for the decision notifications (for the waitlists). 

I also got accepted to CCA so I’m running out for time to wait. TT

Hi, yes! The deadline to accept the offer for accepted students is 15th April. 

19 minutes ago, bloopers said:

So they'll get back to us in late March/early April? Cutting it close w/ the April 15 deadline for most schools. 

How do waitlists even work? We all have to pick something on April 15th the latest, maybe not even our first choice right, so what happens if you were waitlisted in a program that is a better suit for you but they notify you after the 15th of april. Can you retract from your inicial acceptance? change your mind after the deadline, in a way? 

16 hours ago, paintgal said:

I'm in the same boat-- I emailed admissions yesterday to see if I had missed anything but haven't heard back from them.

So I got the official email for Saic for painting on the 2/27. I was called the day before.

maybe it’s a department thing or maybe this is how they handle wait list? ( either way I’m sorry, radio silence sucks and they could do better. I feel for you. The week of the 27th I had lost it and started to make a portfolio for next year )

Tag me if you think there’s anything I can answer. Sorry you’re dealing with the wait.

Edited by E_b

14 hours ago, reallyfamousartist said:

Wellllll- congrats to everyone and your efforts this year! This was my first time round applying to grad school, and it was way more intense than I imagined lol. Wouldn't have been able to do it alone, so thank you.

My final list for acceptances:
UChicago
SAIC
MICA
Pratt
Boston U
MassArt
CalArts
Northwestern 

😀 So fortunate to ping-pong stress and positivity with you all. Best of luck!
I'm likely heading to Chicago - hmu if you'll be in the area too

DITTO: Officially headed to Saic for painting in fall. Would love to connect with anyone in the area. Shoot me a message! :)

On 3/6/2023 at 1:11 PM, criticalfabulation said:

Pleased to say that i'm done with the grad school process, thank you to everyone that has contributed to the forum its been very insightful and a lovely warm sense of community. 

RISD painting - Accepted Feb 14. (full ride) 

Yale Painting/printmaking - Accepted March 4. (waiting for $$)

Its my first time going through the Grad school process and I really took my chances with the two schools I saw that best fit my art/personality. I learned a lot and did receive a lot of help and guidance throughout applications. For those in the future who are thinking about applying to Yale, I would deffs say the secondary portfolio (the studies/ what you're working on) is very important and the question how do you see yourself within the Yale community? Feel free to reach out, now that the wait is over my mind is no longer in a blur and am v hopeful for the progression within my practice!!! Congrats to everyone for going through the strenuous application process, it shows a lot of love and care towards your art. 

Wow congratulations! I heard Yale painting has 2000+ applications. Their admission said is crazily competitive

11 hours ago, borg said:

Has anyone heard back from Hunter yet? I know they sent out their decisions on the 11th last year.

Hope they'd send out results on Monday.

But when I asked for the date of acceptance after finishing my interview, one of the staffs told me it might take 2 or 3 weeks. So who knows...😂

8 hours ago, painterJJ said:

Hope they'd send out results on Monday.

But when I asked for the date of acceptance after finishing my interview, one of the staffs told me it might take 2 or 3 weeks. So who knows...😂

lmao three weeks!! alright crossing my fingers we hear back today 🥲

I was ready to commit to Indiana and then I just got an email last night from Iowa (the only school I hadn't heard from) that they'd like to interview me. I feel like this confirms I was essentially on some invisible waitlist as I know folks who were both rejected outright and admitted already many weeks ago. Not sure how to feel about this practice or about the possibility of going through this whole waiting game again so late in the cycle when I could already be finding housing for next year...

Updates as of 3/13

Norwegian University of Science & Technology: Silence.

Oslo National Academy of the Arts: Rejection 3/3. 

Arizona State University: Silence, but I know ASU letters have gone out, so just waiting for an official rejection

Colorado State University: Portal was updated today saying a decision has been recommended and that I'll receive a final decision within 2 weeks. UGHHHH

Boise State University: Waitlisted 2/28 with high priority.

New Mexico State University: Accepted 3/9.

NMSU is offering pretty generous funding, but it's tough to accept it right now when there's still so many schools I'm hoping to hear back from to make the best decision I can. I know a lot of people are feeling similarly right now. Any tips on navigating this?

Edited by AJJAY

Hey folks - long time lurker, first time poster - just wondering if there is a general consensus surrounding the reputation of UW Madison’s MFA in the art world, or if anyone has any stories (pos, neg or indifferent) or thoughts abt the program? I was offered a place there for this year and just curious bc I don’t have a fine arts background. Thanks!