MSW Canadian Applications Fall 2023

Hi everyone! Has anyone heard back from the waitlist for King's College 1 year MSW? A classmate of mine heard on Wednesday (with last name beginning with A if that means anything within this process). 

Edited by mayooo

On 3/24/2023 at 3:40 PM, Happygal3 said:

Did anyone else hear from King's today?

I never received an email but learned on March 23rd as well that I'm on the waitlist. I recached and Tosha (the liaison) said that people have 14 days to accept offers. She couldn't tell me where I fell on the waitlist but that there aren't many people on it

On 4/14/2023 at 11:19 AM, Lovey1115 said:

Hey all, yesterday I got an email from Angela Umbrello, admin coordinator of admissions at UofT, offering me a spot off the waitlist for the 1 year advanced standing MSW! My last name starts with 'A' and I chose Health and Mental Health as my stream of specialization. I can't believe it but I'm over the moon! Good luck to all those still on the waitlist as it should start moving in these next couple weeks, keeping my fingers crossed for everyone! 😊

Congratulations!!! Do you mind me asking your experience/gpa

3 hours ago, Dough123 said:

Congratulations!!! Do you mind me asking your experience/gpa

Thank you so much ! :)

I have roughly 3 years of social work experience but I've held a variety of roles in that amount of time. I volunteered as a crisis line responder, volunteered at a farm that did equine therapy with individuals with disabilities, worked as an anger management counselor, equine assisted therapist, and housing support worker. My GPA in my undergrad was pretty shitty but I did a 1 Year BSW last year at Lakehead University and graduated with an 87% GPA. My experience is not stellar but I think, or at least what I hope made up for it, was my personal statement. I tried to talk about my future goals, research I would like to conduct and how it will positively contribute to the sw field and just tried to sell myself. 

On 4/13/2023 at 2:03 PM, Evs22 said:

I haven’t heard from laurier yet and my last name starts with O, I don’t know if that’s helpful 

I still haven't heard anything regarding my full-time regular track application to Laurier. I've been so anxious waiting to hear back, fingers are crossed! Has anyone not heard anything still? I also applied to the part-time regular track program.

Edited by Applicant4

15 minutes ago, Applicant4 said:

I still haven't heard anything regarding my full-time regular track application to Laurier. I've been so anxious waiting to hear back, fingers are crossed! Has anyone not heard anything still? I also applied to the part-time regular track program.

I also have not heard anything and I've been unable to get on to LORIS. 

24 minutes ago, MamB said:

Has anyone heard from Laurier with their regular track part time online program? 

Not yet. Someone else pointed out how they have changed their website, stating the target for decisions is now the end of May. I'm still waiting for a response for the full-time regular track program, where decisions are set to release a month earlier than the part-time program. Hope that helps, I've been checking my email every day waiting with fingers crossed 

7 minutes ago, Applicant4 said:

Not yet. Someone else pointed out how they have changed their website, stating the target for decisions is now the end of May. I'm still waiting for a response for the full-time regular track program, where decisions are set to release a month earlier than the part-time program. Hope that helps, I've been checking my email every day waiting with fingers crossed 

Thank you for that. I think I'm just starting to get a bit antsy hearing that some people are starting to hear back. Hopefully soon!

6 minutes ago, fivelittlemonkeys said:

I got a call on Friday that I got accepted to the program (regular track). My file was reflected as such on MyFile today. 

I will decline the offer as I will be attending U of T instead, so it might open up a spot for other! :)

Congrats!! That’s an amazing accomplishment:) good to know they’re starting to make decisions

For anyone who has been accepted to WLU for the advanced standing in person program, are there any FB groups or otherwise to join? Was given my offer on April 3rd and just accepted today. 

Thank you in advance! 

Hello everyone,

I just received acceptance to the foundational MSW at UFV for September. Is anyone familiar with the program?

I currently live in Vancouver and moving is not a desired option. I am applying for Winter 2024 at Laurier and will be submitting an application for the foundational pt program next week.

I am hoping for some input as to what the perceived likelihood of getting into the WLU program is (it sounds difficult..)? I've been telling myself that ideally I would begin completing the foundational year as part-time as possible at UFV to maximize the opportunities of applying to WLU before having too many credits to transfer.

Alternatively I could give up on this plan and try to go all in and more full-time at the UFV program and save some time and resources.

For context UFV's foundational program is only offered every two years, would be a 1 hour commute, most likely in class with the potential for evenings and weekends. Living in Vancouver, I need to continue working too.

I have a 3.95/4.33 GPA in a B.A in Psych, a few years of research experience, some paid in the Summer with scholarships. About three years experience working with a harm reduction focused non-profit housing organization (housing, shelters, programs, and currently doing outreach for a new housing project which will transition into being the residence Indigenous cultural support worker).

Apologies for the long winded post - I am simply hoping for some feedback as I could see myself applying to WLU repeatedly and kicking myself for prolonging the journey when there is a sure thing in sight.

I also have zero experience transferring credits, the language on school websites make it sound not very desirable to the receiving institution - could being enrolled in a program be a strength or worthwhile to mention in a personal statement? For example, I am passionate about my current job but need to pursue both for growth and competence, commuting is prohibitive, etc..?

Thank you for your time,

J

12 hours ago, mentalhealthadvocate said:

Has anyone heard from the WLU regular track 2-year non-BSW program? the wait is excruciating LOL 

I believe some people in the group have recently heard back if you scroll above. I'm also still waiting - I'm so antsy checking each day, totally agree the wait is killing me LOL

Edited by Applicant4

34 minutes ago, Applicant4 said:

I believe some people in the group have recently heard back if you scroll above. I'm also still waiting - I'm so antsy checking each day, totally agree the wait is killing me LOL

I've only seen rejections/waitlists for the program - I've only seen one acceptance over on Reddit on April 5th. I'm wondering if waitlists have been sent out then acceptances must have been sent out. I heard people were accepted in the last week of April, so fingers crossed everyone receives good news to the programs they've applied to! 

BUT I just wish they would tell us now LOL

16 minutes ago, mentalhealthadvocate said:

I've only seen rejections/waitlists for the program - I've only seen one acceptance over on Reddit on April 5th. I'm wondering if waitlists have been sent out then acceptances must have been sent out. I heard people were accepted in the last week of April, so fingers crossed everyone receives good news to the programs they've applied to! 

BUT I just wish they would tell us now LOL

fingers are crossed!! It would be great if they provided additional information 

13 hours ago, JJ154 said:

Hello everyone,

I just received acceptance to the foundational MSW at UFV for September. Is anyone familiar with the program?

I currently live in Vancouver and moving is not a desired option. I am applying for Winter 2024 at Laurier and will be submitting an application for the foundational pt program next week.

I am hoping for some input as to what the perceived likelihood of getting into the WLU program is (it sounds difficult..)? I've been telling myself that ideally I would begin completing the foundational year as part-time as possible at UFV to maximize the opportunities of applying to WLU before having too many credits to transfer.

Alternatively I could give up on this plan and try to go all in and more full-time at the UFV program and save some time and resources.

For context UFV's foundational program is only offered every two years, would be a 1 hour commute, most likely in class with the potential for evenings and weekends. Living in Vancouver, I need to continue working too.

I have a 3.95/4.33 GPA in a B.A in Psych, a few years of research experience, some paid in the Summer with scholarships. About three years experience working with a harm reduction focused non-profit housing organization (housing, shelters, programs, and currently doing outreach for a new housing project which will transition into being the residence Indigenous cultural support worker).

Apologies for the long winded post - I am simply hoping for some feedback as I could see myself applying to WLU repeatedly and kicking myself for prolonging the journey when there is a sure thing in sight.

I also have zero experience transferring credits, the language on school websites make it sound not very desirable to the receiving institution - could being enrolled in a program be a strength or worthwhile to mention in a personal statement? For example, I am passionate about my current job but need to pursue both for growth and competence, commuting is prohibitive, etc..?

Thank you for your time,

J

Hey! Just thought I would reach out and share my experience as someone who also lives in Vancouver - I'm starting my MSW in the Foundation program at the University of Calgary in May. They changed the program this year to online/blended so I can keep living/working in Vancouver (including practicums) and there's an in-person residency in Calgary in the summer for 1 week every year to get together with all the students in the program. I believe they will be offering their Foundation program online/blended going forward so it could be a good option to look into for Spring 2024 admission :) application opens in August I believe!