Does anyone know any funded Sociology MA programs?

harutowatanabe

Hi everyone!

I'm a senior who will be applying for graduate programs this fall. Since Ph.D. programs are extremely competitive, I will apply to some MA programs as my backup plan. However, it seems like most schools don't provide funding for the master's programs (including the prestigious ones). Does anyone know any schools that offer to fund their master's programs?

Thank you!

On 8/11/2022 at 1:37 AM, harutowatanabe said:

Hi everyone!

I'm a senior who will be applying for graduate programs this fall. Since Ph.D. programs are extremely competitive, I will apply to some MA programs as my backup plan. However, it seems like most schools don't provide funding for the master's programs (including the prestigious ones). Does anyone know any schools that offer to fund their master's programs?

Thank you!

Not for sociology. Sociology programs across the country are essentially struggling to survive these days due to structure challenges that I can make 2 podcasts about. If I were you, I would look for something sociology adjacent like economics, public policy, or health (assuming you care about any of them), since they have much better funding and might actually be more relevant to your end goals. 

As of 2020 (so not sure if it exists right now), UMass Boston had one, as did UNC Charlotte? MAs in Canada are also funded normally to some extent, as their PhD programs are designed to be post-MA rather than including an MA component like in the U.S.

Funded MAs will have similar competition to PhD programs because of the funding, unfortunately. Plus you'll have to redo the MA when you go to a PhD program after. I highly encourage applying to research-related jobs as a backup. That way, you get relevant experience without going into debt. If you are dead set on the MA, look at your local state school to see if they have an MA that's affordable.

Edited by lkaitlyn

• 1 month later...

The University of Arkansas currently only has an MA program for Sociology, though they've been trying to get a PhD program for a while, and it is almost guaranteed to provide funding. (They advertise 90% of students are funded, but it's more like 99.9%.) The program is actually pretty good, but the trade off is having to live in Arkansas. Most students at the program have a focus/specialization in criminology, too. 

-an undergrad 

17 hours ago, wellameliablack said:

The University of Arkansas currently only has an MA program for Sociology, though they've been trying to get a PhD program for a while, and it is almost guaranteed to provide funding. (They advertise 90% of students are funded, but it's more like 99.9%.) The program is actually pretty good, but the trade off is having to live in Arkansas. Most students at the program have a focus/specialization in criminology, too. 

-an undergrad 

Actually NW Arkansas is seeing quite a fit of influx in population for people who want to live there so I wouldn't call it a trade off. But to each their own.

• 2 weeks later...