2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

5 minutes ago, 15itspossibleslp said:

Anyone experiencing a long wait for processing checkout from U of A applications on the FGSR portal? It only says "Processing checkout please wait.. " for at least 10 minutes now for me. 

I had the same thing happen to me. I received an email saying my application fee had been processed while it was still loading on the browser. I clicked out and reopened my application and it was all payed for. As long as you get the email conformation you should be good!

1 minute ago, NikolaSLP said:

I had the same thing happen to me. I received an email saying my application fee had been processed while it was still loading on the browser. I clicked out and reopened my application and it was all payed for. As long as you get the email conformation you should be good!

Thank you for your response! For me though, I did not put in my credit card information yet, still opening the processing checkout. I am glad to know it is just system buffer and not my computer. But thank you I hope my technical difficulty will work soon.

21 hours ago, NikolaSLP said:

I wouldn't say the UofA is the easier school to get into necessarily. I think it depends on what each school values and if your application lines up with those values. 

For example the UofT values research and a high GPA more heavily, so if you have those things you might have a better chance of getting in. 

Western values experience and volunteer hours more highly than just having a great GPA.  

McMaster is initially entirely based on GPA, so it has to be high to make the short list of 125 candidates that will then go on to the MMIs, then you have to stand out in the MMIs. 

The UofA on the other hand wants a more holistic application, meaning you need to have good GPA, experience, good SOI, good pre-req marks, good references etc. While you may be able to get into the UofA with a lower GPA than what the other schools might accept you still need to shine in the other parts of your application.  

My advice would be to pick out the schools that align with the strengths of your applications, and of course the schools you want to go. Then apply to them. Honestly, it is up to you whether doing the stats course is worth it or not, but the UofA is by no means the easier school to get into. Hopefully this does not come across harshly, I believed the same thing when I applied last year, and I wish someone had told me otherwise! And keep in mind plenty of people have gotten into schools they didn't believe they stood a chance of getting into. At the end of the day it doesn't hurt to send in an application and see what happens (except maybe your bank account haha). Best of Luck!

I thought the easiest school to get into is Dalhousie, since it doesn't need prerequisites, it has 3 years program and it is a bit far. People usually would rather go to Ontario programs. To be honest, I only could apply for Dalhousie, because I didn't have the prerequisites, my bachelor's is in psychology. It is stressful if you have only one chance.

Hi everyone,

My plan B if I didn’t get into the Master's program is to get a graduate certificate. I applied for the communication and disorder assistant program at Durham and Georgian college. Has anyone heard how is the job market for this certificate or which college is better?

2 hours ago, 15itspossibleslp said:

Also, another question for anyone that applied to U of A, did you put the marksheet as the first page of the document on the transcript section? or does it matter how it is uploaded?

Thank you very much!

I don't think it matter so long as the marking sheet is included. 

18 minutes ago, MarySLP said:

I thought the easiest school to get into is Dalhousie, since it doesn't need prerequisites, it has 3 years program and it is a bit far. People usually would rather go to Ontario programs. To be honest, I only could apply for Dalhousie, because I didn't have the prerequisites, my bachelor's is in psychology. It is stressful if you have only one chance.

I don't know too much about Dalhousie as I haven't really looked into their school or application process, but my guess would be that they likely weigh GPA more heavily as they have less ways to differentiate candidates. I was in the same boat last year, could only apply to the UofA as I didn't have the other schools pre-reqs. If getting rejected last year taught me anything is that things don't start and end with getting into grad school! Having a plan B will take the pressure off and you can always reapply. 

2 hours ago, nslp2be said:

For Dalhousie, on my application summary page the reference letter status boxes are blank and have not been marked as received. Is that normal?

I'm not sure but mine say the same thing and I know for sure my referees submitted. I wonder if they just don't update it? 

On 1/12/2023 at 1:18 PM, NikolaSLP said:

I don't think it matter so long as the marking sheet is included. 

What marking sheet are you talking about? The prerequisites one? You’ve made me nervous I’ve missed soemthibg 

5 minutes ago, MajorTom10 said:

What marking sheet are you talking about? The prerequisites one? You’ve made me nervous I’ve missed soemthibg 

It's just the university marking sheet for transcripts. Its comes with all transcripts, basically a legend of how the school determines letter grade + GPA

6 minutes ago, MajorTom10 said:

Does anyone know what the fourth department check is? I’m just now seeing it. I’ve got my resume, my statement of interest and my pre reqs list. am I missing something?

The fourth department check is for Saskatchewan applicants only. I believe it is to prove that they live in Saskatchewan. 

46 minutes ago, NikolaSLP said:

It's just the university marking sheet for transcripts. Its comes with all transcripts, basically a legend of how the school determines letter grade + GPA

Ohhhhh ok. ? I guess just the stress of being unable to change my application anymore scared me haha. Thank you! 

So for some reason my application to U of A says this now?? Due January 22nd? Why did it change from Jan 15th on here? it said Jan 15th as the closing date this morning so I am confused. I am still submitting it right now even if it says Jan 22nd but isn't it weird the due date would change on there? Anyone else see this?68609277_Screenshot(1353).thumb.png.c36706839ceae9571123b7a4d821f5e3.png

19 hours ago, 55slp said:

So for some reason my application to U of A says this now?? Due January 22nd? Why did it change from Jan 15th on here? it said Jan 15th as the closing date this morning so I am confused. I am still submitting it right now even if it says Jan 22nd but isn't it weird the due date would change on there? Anyone else see this?68609277_Screenshot(1353).thumb.png.c36706839ceae9571123b7a4d821f5e3.png

Weird. I'm not seeing that anywhere on mine tho

On 1/12/2023 at 8:58 PM, nslp2be said:

For Dalhousie, on my application summary page the reference letter status boxes are blank and have not been marked as received. Is that normal?

mine also has the same thing, even though all my references have sent in their letters. I think it gets really backed up because there are so many people sending them documents

1 hour ago, AG404 said:

Would anybody be able to tell me where and how to upload pre-reqs. for McGill? 

When you fill out the initial application (I can't see mine now since I submitted so it looks different), there will be a section where they ask you to explain how you know English, and ask if you are bilingual (and if you are explain how you know French). On that same page there will be a list of the prereqs and boxes under each one for you to fill out the info as it appears on your transcript - e.g. York University, FW 23, LING 2110 Phonetics, 3.0 credits, A. I'm not entirely sure about that order but it will tell you exactly how to format it. Then after all the prereqs there is a box to copy paste your personal statement. Once you submit that initial application (with all personal info, references, prereqs etc) then pay the fee, there will be a checklist for you to upload unofficial transcripts, CV, etc. 

Hope that helps.

On 1/14/2023 at 12:36 AM, 55slp said:

I am not completely sure of this, but when I attended the OASIS info for SLP application, they said after January 15th there is a 7-day extension to submit the application. But you can email them if you want to double check :)