2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

I got my rejection letter from Dal yesterday morning, it was heartbreaking.  Seems like 400 people have applied this year. I am going to Georgian College for the CDA program. If anyone going there too, feel free to reach out. 

I have some prereqs to pass in order to be able to apply for other schools next year! Do you think is possible to be in CDA and do the prereqs as well???

1 hour ago, MarySLP said:

I got my rejection letter from Dal yesterday morning, it was heartbreaking.  Seems like 400 people have applied this year. I am going to Georgian College for the CDA program. If anyone going there too, feel free to reach out. 

I have some prereqs to pass in order to be able to apply for other schools next year! Do you think is possible to be in CDA and do the prereqs as well???

Do you know if all the rejections get sent out at once? 

On 4/18/2023 at 1:40 PM, kits123 said:

I just heard back from Dalhousie today as well, sounds like they are still sending offers out this week

Did you apply to both speech and audiology? And did you apply to the thesis track? 

I was initially waitlisted at Toronto and McMaster and rejected at Western for SLP. But I just got the call now from Toronto that I’m accepted off the waitlist!!! I couldn’t be happier and I’m still shaking! So excited to see everyone in Toronto next year and if there’s a groupchat I could join, that would be great!! 

Edited by SLPforever

1 hour ago, 149mslp said:

Do you know if all the rejections get sent out at once? 

I'm wondering that as well. They sent out more acceptances and rejections yesterday but I still haven't heard anything, and I don't think anyone heard anything today, so I'm wondering if that means waitlisted?? but I also don't want to get my hopes up

18 minutes ago, Jen SLP said:

I'm wondering that as well. They sent out more acceptances and rejections yesterday but I still haven't heard anything, and I don't think anyone heard anything today, so I'm wondering if that means waitlisted?? but I also don't want to get my hopes up

I am in the same situation. I was waitlisted last year and I got my letter on the 28th, but it seems like every year is different. The dal admissions process seems very all over the place and I can’t figure out if they use a certain system which is frustrating. I have yet to hear anything still. 

1 hour ago, SLPforever said:

I was initially waitlisted at Toronto and McMaster and rejected at Western for SLP. But I just got the call now from Toronto that I’m accepted off the waitlist!!! I couldn’t be happier and I’m still shaking! So excited to see everyone in Toronto next year and if there’s a groupchat I could join, that would be great!! 

Congrats! there's a facebook group for UofT:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/242094711620219

On 4/17/2023 at 4:03 PM, capycashew said:

Hello! I just got moved off the McGill waitlist and I'm overwhelmed with gratitude and happiness. Happy crying for a solid 15 minutes here.

Anyone know if there's any group chats or Facebook groups started for McGill? I'm really looking forward to meeting others in the program.

Best of luck everyone!

Here is the mcgill group  :) https://www.facebook.com/groups/555951483271956

18 hours ago, BSLP22 said:

Does anyone know if Western's class is full? It seems there hasn't been any movement on the waitlist? 

I was on the Western waitlist, but I got an email this morning with an offer. I won't be accepting because I got an offer somewhere else, but it looks like they're starting to move through the waitlist :)

3 minutes ago, capycashew said:

I was on the Western waitlist, but I got an email this morning with an offer. I won't be accepting because I got an offer somewhere else, but it looks like they're starting to move through the waitlist :)

Congratulations on your offers, that's fantastic! If you don't mind me asking, I'm assuming you were in quadrant one of the waitlist at Western?

1 minute ago, BSLP22 said:

Congratulations on your offers, that's fantastic! If you don't mind me asking, I'm assuming you were in quadrant one of the waitlist at Western?

thank you! and yes, I was told I was in the first quadrant for Western

On 4/19/2023 at 5:45 PM, Jen SLP said:

Me too! Just anxiously waiting and refreshing my email all day long everyday. I just don't know whether to still have hope :(

On 4/14/2023 at 1:10 PM, 2nd year Dal Student said:

Hi everyone, here are some Dal admission updates: 

22 seats have been confirmed. I am not confident in the number of total seats, I think it's around 37 or 38 for SLP and audiology together. There are 10 people who have been offered admission but have not responded though, the deadline to do so is tomorrow. Janet will likely be sending out another round of offers next week. 

There is still hope! And just to repeat some advice I recommended earlier: in the meantime, stay busy, spend time with friends and family, enjoy your hobbies, foster the side of you outside of these applications because you are wayyyy more than what these universities decide ;) 

Hi! I was wondering if you know anything about transferring between audiology/speech going into second year, as the first year courses are the same. If I was accepted as an audiology student could I transfer my credits to speech the next year if accepted? 

17 minutes ago, speech101777777 said:

hi! how were you able to tell what quadrant you were in for the western waitlist? 

I emailed the graduate program assistant, Janet, and asked if there was any information available about my waitlist position when I initially found out that I was on the waitlist. I think you might still be able to ask :)

I declined offers to Dalhousie SLP, McGill SLP, and the MClSc/PhD SLP combined program at Western today - some people on these waitlists should get good news next week!

Edited by SPCH

On 4/14/2023 at 11:47 PM, ElizabethSLP said:

Hi all! I just accepted my offer from Dalhousie for SLP and am super excited for the fall! Does anyone know of a group (on FB or WhatsApp etc.) for ppl who've accepted at Dal? :)

I also accepted Dal for SLP :) I haven't seen any groups yet!

On 4/18/2023 at 11:06 PM, SLPam said:

Congrats to everyone who got into Dal! I'm in SLP and just finishing up my first year now, so if anyone has any questions let me know. :) Looking forward to meeting you all in September!!

I just accepted Dal for SLP! Which property management companies have you heard good things about or use yourself? I am moving to Nova Scotia from Ontario, so I am unsure which companies are better than others! Thanks in advance :)

On 4/19/2023 at 2:32 PM, MarySLP said:

Hello! I completed the CDA program at Georgian in 2021! Some girls in the class took 2-3 courses over the course of the year so that they could apply to SLP schools for the following year. I chose to take a year off after completing the program to complete 2 extra courses needed as prerequisites, and work as a CDA. I found this was much easier for me since the CDA program is full-time. If you don't want to take an extra year, I would suggest completing the courses during your placement semester (January-April) since there is no course work that needs to be completed at this. Placement is typically Monday-Friday 37.5 hours each week, and usually fall within normal work hours (unless you are at a private clinic, which may require working evenings). 

Best of luck to you! I can answer any other questions you might have about the CDA program :) 

5 minutes ago, NatalieSLP said:

I just accepted Dal for SLP! Which property management companies have you heard good things about or use yourself? I am moving to Nova Scotia from Ontario, so I am unsure which companies are better than others! Thanks in advance :)

I just rent a unit in a house from a landlord, I'm not sure about the property management companies! Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

12 minutes ago, NatalieSLP said:

I also accepted Dal for SLP :) I haven't seen any groups yet!

Congrats you two!!

Last year, we found people here on this forum and made a group ourselves early on. The president will make a group in a few months when the admissions list is shared with them, but we just did it ourselves first so we could meet everyone as early as possible. If you make a groupchat and facebook group named something that is easily searchable, people will slowly but surely trickle in. :)