2023 Canada Admissions SLP thread

1 hour ago, maddieee said:

Has anyone who applied to UBC not heard anything yet or have any insights?  I haven't heard anything and wondering if there is still a glimmer of hope. Those who have already been accepted/waitlisted, are you from BC or out of province?

Hey! I've also not heard anything - I'm not sure what that means? I'm hoping good news is coming tomorrow! 

Is there an audiology thread?! Why not? Any other audio applicants lurking on here? Waitlisted at UBC! Does anyone know how many are on the waitlist for either UBC program? Emailed Janet to ask and no reply for a week... a  little concerned.

2 hours ago, audio2023 said:

Is there an audiology thread?! Why not? Any other audio applicants lurking on here? Waitlisted at UBC! Does anyone know how many are on the waitlist for either UBC program? Emailed Janet to ask and no reply for a week... a  little concerned.

There is an audiology thread called: “Canadian Audiology Applicants Fall 2023”

It just isn’t active. I also got waitlisted for audiology at UBC! I am from BC for those that asked.

No idea about the stats on the waitlist, but definitely would like to know if you get a response.

Hi all,

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in, and everyone who has applied, because this process is emotionally draining. Not surprised as this is my first year applying, and I wouldn't consider my gpa competitive, but I've been rejected from UofT, Western, and Mcmaster. Trying to stay positive for hearing back from Mcgill and Dalhousie, but realistically expecting that I will be rejected from there too. Knowing my gpa is the weakest part of my application I was wondering if anyone has advice on where I should take courses to boost my gpa as a non-graduate student (Graduated from Queen's University this year). So far, I was thinking of UofT since most of my friends live there right now, but I would move anywhere if I knew it would increase my chances of getting in next year. 

Thankful for this forum and to know that I am not alone in this anxiety!

On 4/8/2023 at 2:06 AM, speechiegal said:

Hey all! I’m wondering if anyone knows if Dalhousie reserves a certain amount of out-of-province seats for admission?

Dal reserves half of its seats for Maritimers! I was stressed since a lot of schools do that, but as someone from ontario, I still got in! 

hiii ! congrats to all that made it in this cycle! didn't make it into any schools this cycle for my first year applying, so I was wondering, what is a good thing to do for next cycle preparations? I know my gpa was definitely a contributing factor and I am returning to as a non-degree student at my university. However, does anyone know if it matters what courses I take to increase my GPA? I was going to just take courses that are "easy" and unrelated to the SLP field, but should I take courses that would "look good"? Like, stats courses, language disorders courses, etc? Will it make a difference or should I just focus on doing well? 

also, does anyone know of any jobs that I could get into to gain some relevant experience as a recent grad? I looked around and things need diplomas or certain degrees, etc, so any ideas are appreciated. 

8 hours ago, sydneyhopesforslp said:

Hi all,

Congrats to everyone who has gotten in, and everyone who has applied, because this process is emotionally draining. Not surprised as this is my first year applying, and I wouldn't consider my gpa competitive, but I've been rejected from UofT, Western, and Mcmaster. Trying to stay positive for hearing back from Mcgill and Dalhousie, but realistically expecting that I will be rejected from there too. Knowing my gpa is the weakest part of my application I was wondering if anyone has advice on where I should take courses to boost my gpa as a non-graduate student (Graduated from Queen's University this year). So far, I was thinking of UofT since most of my friends live there right now, but I would move anywhere if I knew it would increase my chances of getting in next year. 

Hi! I am also a Queen’s graduate (2021) and I took an online course through queens this year as a prerequisite for UofA. It was super easy to sign up as a non-degree student but they don’t have a ton of online class options. I think some people on this forum have taken online courses through Athabasca to boost gpa.
If this helps I also don’t consider my gpa to be competitive. Last year I was rejected from McMaster and McGill and waitlisted to Western. This year I was rejected from Western but accepted to UofA! So try and stay positive I think some schools put less value on gpa :)

11 hours ago, sydneyhopesforslp said:

Hi all,

Hello! I would seriously recommend the 2nd Bachelor's or Leveling program in Communicative Disorders at Easter New Mexico University (undergraduate level). Registering is pretty fast if you are on top of it, and that way you can start this summer and get 2 semesters worth of classes in (that's what I did last year). ENMU's classes are asynchronous, so you can watch lectures when you want. Everything is online even the exams. Only two of my classes had proctored exams at no extra charge to me. The classes are VERY cheap compared to other US schools and they don't charge you more for being a Canadian student. So I think last semester for me was around 6K Canadian? Which is what I was paying for 5 courses when I went to University in Ontario during my undergrad. They are very good at responding so you can call them for more info.

I just received an email that a decision was made for my McGill application and I was rejected. I just accepted my spot at Western and am so thankful I was accepted there. Congratulations to everyone who has received acceptances, and I hope everyone still waiting to hear back/was waitlisted is doing okay. I know we have all worked so hard and I hope everyone here gets accepted ❤️

19 hours ago, 2nd year Dal Student said:

Dal reserves half of its seats for Maritimers! I was stressed since a lot of schools do that, but as someone from ontario, I still got in! 

Hey! I'm also from Ontario and I got accepted to Dal. Would you be willing to answer a few questions about the program and relocating process?