Dating ethics?

Simscity

I have a question about dating as a PhD student. 

I’m currently in my 3rd year in uni as a PhD student. I met someone at the university and they’re an undergraduate in their 3rd year. I teach undergrad classes at this uni but they’re in a totally different department, I met them in a work capacity (they also work at the uni), and there isn’t a chance I would ever teach them or anything. If it matters, they’re five years older than me and a non-traditional student. They were married before and have a past life in industry prior to coming back to school. The person is pursuing me and I’m interested. 

Is it ok to go for this? Don’t wanna destroy careers or reputations or anything like that. Thanks everyone. 

You may want to check your school's policy on dating students that you will never teach. Personally, I'd remain friends until they graduate and then pursue it. It may be a long year, but you may be in questionable territory as far as the institution is concerned.

On 8/16/2022 at 5:43 PM, Simscity said:

I have a question about dating as a PhD student. 

I’m currently in my 3rd year in uni as a PhD student. I met someone at the university and they’re an undergraduate in their 3rd year. I teach undergrad classes at this uni but they’re in a totally different department, I met them in a work capacity (they also work at the uni), and there isn’t a chance I would ever teach them or anything. If it matters, they’re five years older than me and a non-traditional student. They were married before and have a past life in industry prior to coming back to school. The person is pursuing me and I’m interested. 

Is it ok to go for this? Don’t wanna destroy careers or reputations or anything like that. Thanks everyone. 

I go by two things: one, if you gotta ask, you probably know the answer; two, don't ask anybody here, they know nothing about your institution, go directly to HR, they will have a specific answer for you.