2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

41 minutes ago, polisci320 said:

What is the story behind your GWU parenthetical? I almost choked on my yogurt reading it.

Told it here before when GWU was releasing decisions, I am blind so amidst the craze of the submission period, I somehow missed a "Finish and Submit" button somewhere, I paid the fee and completed the forms but my application was never reviewed. I learned this the day decisions were released BC I never checked the portal. Now I want my money back and they completely ghosted me, so weird. GWU caused enough harm to me, so please be careful with your yogurt. :) 

2 minutes ago, Senochka said:

Told it here before when GWU was releasing decisions, I am blind so amidst the craze of the submission period, I somehow missed a "Finish and Submit" button somewhere, I paid the fee and completed the forms but my application was never reviewed. I learned this the day decisions were released BC I never checked the portal. Now I want my money back and they completely ghosted me, so weird. GWU caused enough harm to me, so please be careful with your yogurt. :) 

Wow that is extraordinarily stupid. It's really hard for me to imagine who thought it would be a good idea to have a finish and submit button AFTER you'd already finished and submitted. Every application I've seen has you submit and then pay. Sorry about that ?

24 minutes ago, polisci320 said:

Wow that is extraordinarily stupid. It's really hard for me to imagine who thought it would be a good idea to have a finish and submit button AFTER you'd already finished and submitted. Every application I've seen has you submit and then pay. Sorry about that ?

Yeah this must have been what misled me. In many application systems payment is the last step. A representative told me that I should have pressed that button and wait until I "see" a sign that said "100% Complete". I was like, "Lady, are you hearing me?" No problem though, if we had something like yearbook superlatives over here, I would be voted either unluckiest or sloppiest, so I am used to such things by now. 

1 hour ago, marxford said:

Does anyone know something about UCSD?

I called and got an email back telling me my app was under review and that i should receive results in the next two weeks.

Also just wondering, is anyone here getting accepted to some higher ranked places and rejected from lower ranked? I've only received 2/11 results so far, but neither is a straight acceptance and these were my mid tier/fallback schools; one of them even had a Prof who studies exactly what interests me and put in a word for me with the admin committee. Don't want to be melodramatic but it makes me think i was an idiot to even have applied to the higher ranked places, even though I feel like i have a pretty strong, if maybe unusual, profile.

17 minutes ago, iskander said:

I called and got an email back telling me my app was under review and that i should receive results in the next two weeks.

Also just wondering, is anyone here getting accepted to some higher ranked places and rejected from lower ranked? I've only received 2/11 results so far, but neither is a straight acceptance and these were my mid tier/fallback schools; one of them even had a Prof who studies exactly what interests me and put in a word for me with the admin committee. Don't want to be melodramatic but it makes me think i was an idiot to even have applied to the higher ranked places, even though I feel like i have a pretty strong, if maybe unusual, profile.

I'm curious about that too. In my case, this might have been endogenously determined by the amount of effort I put into each app.

I have a friend from econ who received an e-mail from a top20 school saying basically "hey, we would accept you, but think you'll get recruited by some top10 school. Let us know if we got it wrong". So some of that thinking must go into not recruiting someone who you think will not accept the offer while you could go with the 2nd-best option of recruiting someone who is actually thinking about attending.

There's also the fact that some schools might have the luxury of recruiting people solely on upside, whereas other schools might be looking for ppl who can RA/TA right out of the gate. But anyways, 2/11 is too soon to tell I guess 

1 hour ago, iskander said:

This "lack of transitivity" happens and it may be the case given several factors: fit, two "too" strong candidates for the same lower-ranked schools, concerns over effective enrollment... If you roll back a little in this forum you will see people accepted at Berkeley (top-5) and rejected at UChicago (arguably not even top-10). 

Last year there was a guy who hasn't gotten anything and then got Stanford haha Another who was rejected in a bunch of medium schools and got Harvard and Princeton off the waitlist.

Takeaway: the process is hard to read... We apply broadly and wait for the results with positive thoughts.

Edited by Aztec

1 hour ago, iskander said:

Definitely happening to me. I applied really heavily in the 10-20 range because I thought it’s where my profile would be most competitive. 4 of my 5 acceptances are in this range and I’ve heard radio silence from programs in the 20s, 30s, and 40s (as well as the 10s of course, but fingers crossed that changes).

3 hours ago, iskander said:

Yes, happened to me. Accepted at Berkeley. Rejected at Vanderbilt.

2 hours ago, TerribleTowel said:

Yes, happened to me. Accepted at Berkeley. Rejected at Vanderbilt.

Congratulations for your Berkeley acceptance :) At least, you had the chance of getting admission from Berkeley and they offered admission. For some applicants who got their BA and MA degree from Non-US universities, it is almost quite rare to get admission from some US universities like Berkeley. I didn't assume this as an applicant who applied to PhD programs for the first time during this cycle but I guess there are also some "unwritten cut-off" preferences of the U.S universities.

40 minutes ago, PolGrad said:

Congratulations for your Berkeley acceptance :) At least, you had the chance of getting admission from Berkeley and they offered admission. For some applicants who got their BA and MA degree from Non-US universities, it is almost quite rare to get admission from some US universities like Berkeley. I didn't assume this as an applicant who applied to PhD programs for the first time during this cycle but I guess there are also some "unwritten cut-off" preferences of the U.S universities.

Not totally sure about that. That’s for sure that an MA from a US institution helps, but there are other ways to get attention and reassure universities that you can get the job done (this seems to be the question). So there is this guy from Brazil who was accepted everywhere last year (CHYPS and many otters). You can check the profiles in the link below. His profile is LatinAmericanFootaball…

17 hours ago, iskander said:

Hey, this happened to me as well. I only got news from 2 of 6 US PhD programs I have applied to. I got accepted from Northwestern and rejected by Boston U. As far as I know NWU is a higher ranked institution. Yet I did not have a good fit with Boston, I sent my GREs there at the end of the test. So figured why not apply as well, just not to waste the score. Yet I have messed up my SoP there and as I said not a good match overall. For NWU, my potential advisor is a really strong match. Even stronger than I anticipated maybe - now that I am stalking them a bit closer lol. I think it is a matter of good fit. NWU was one of my top choices and I really like the department as a whole. Even if I got acceptance from a higher ranked institution I think I will commit to NWU! 

Btw, what do you think about the Northwestern political science department? I see lots of terms like R20, T10 etc in Reddit that supposedly define the institution. Is NWU a top 10 program in the US? I know that it is really good but I am not sure how good. I am asking this specific question because I also expect an MPhil admission result from Oxford. For context I am an international student. I am also a senior undergrad student so no grad school experience. So I want to gather some context to make a choice between a good US PhD or two years Master at Oxford (if accepted for sure).

47 minutes ago, politicallygrad said:

Hey, this happened to me as well. I only got news from 2 of 6 US PhD programs I have applied to. I got accepted from Northwestern and rejected by Boston U. As far as I know NWU is a higher ranked institution. Yet I did not have a good fit with Boston, I sent my GREs there at the end of the test. So figured why not apply as well, just not to waste the score. Yet I have messed up my SoP there and as I said not a good match overall. For NWU, my potential advisor is a really strong match. Even stronger than I anticipated maybe - now that I am stalking them a bit closer lol. I think it is a matter of good fit. NWU was one of my top choices and I really like the department as a whole. Even if I got acceptance from a higher ranked institution I think I will commit to NWU! 

Btw, what do you think about the Northwestern political science department? I see lots of terms like R20, T10 etc in Reddit that supposedly define the institution. Is NWU a top 10 program in the US? I know that it is really good but I am not sure how good. I am asking this specific question because I also expect an MPhil admission result from Oxford. For context I am an international student. I am also a senior undergrad student so no grad school experience. So I want to gather some context to make a choice between a good US PhD or two years Master at Oxford (if accepted for sure).

Congratulations on the Northwestern acceptance! ? Btw, when did you hear back from the department?