2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, been lurking around this forum for almost a year now but finally made an account for the fall 2023 application cycle. I'm applying for MPP programs in the US and hoping to pivot my career to public policy (specifically environmental policy). I'm about 2.5 years out of undergrad with no relevant work experience, not a very strong quant background and no GRE so I'm a little worried about my prospects, but I did a lot of other preparation this year to build a stronger app to cover the weak spots.

After doing my research I decided to apply for 4 schools (in descending order of dream school to target schools to backup): UChicago (Harris), UC San Diego (GPS),  University of Denver (Korbel), University of Illinois-Chicago (CUPPA). As of right now, my Harris application is submitted (early action) and awaiting results by late November, and working on the UCSD and UIC apps now.

Good luck to everyone this application season! Looking forward to hear others' experiences!

Edited by IndominusTaco
clarified GRE requisite

Applied in 2019 and got only some MA offers. Now I'm considering applying again for top-25 PhD programs with a great RA experience, but still unsure. I'm wondering now if 166Q/161V is okay for an international student, given ETS just knocked down the percentiles. My 166Q puts me in the 84th percentile now and I'm worried. Places like NYU says on their website that they require 90th percentile, that is 168Q now....

Edited by giraff

23 hours ago, giraff said:

Applied in 2019 and got only some MA offers. Now I'm considering applying again for top-25 PhD programs with a great RA experience, but still unsure. I'm wondering now if 166Q/161V is okay for an international student, given ETS just knocked down the percentiles. My 166Q puts me in the 84th percentile now and I'm worried. Places like NYU says on their website that they require 90th percentile, that is 168Q now....

Got 164Q and 170V (I hope enough to not quant heavy programs). Also noticed ETS knocked down the percentiles.

P.S. I think NYU is overestimating haha

• 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, coffeeman123 said:

Anyone getting nervous for the first set of deadlines coming Dec. 1st? I also wanted to ask, for the writing sample page limit, does that generally include references or no?

Finishing SoP and so on... I'll be much more nervous waiting for the results ?

Same doubt here. Mine writing sample has 24 pages (19 text + 5 biblio)... UMich limits it to 20 pages... I think I'll send them an email.

Right here! I am trying to finish up my applications tonight because my first deadline is before I get home from work. I've got a few for the 12/1 deadline but the majority of mine are December 15th-20th and a couple in January. I'm finally starting to get a little nervous, I am already looking forward to March when I will finally know what all is going on lol. I hope everyone else is doing well with their apps! 

• 2 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, rk17 said:

Ya the forum is surprisingly quiet. How's everyone who is still on here feeling? I finally submitted all my applications yesterday, and now just waiting for the nerves to kick in

I submitted mine during the week. Some platforms are very user-friendly, but others not so much.

I also would like to add my updated CV in January, but not all systems allow it. Not sure if I should contact the dept via email..

Edited by Red Eminence
grammar...

I've got one last PhD app to finish up, weirdly due the 18th. I've applied to 11 programs, mostly lots of top 10 programs and a few top 20, looking at doing stuff related China/security and more generally IR. I haven't really kept up through any forums during the application process so i have absolutely no idea about my prospects.

My stats are: gre 160 Q, 168 V, 5 writing. I speak Chinese and Spanish fluently, along with another not very useful language ok. Have lots of experience living abroad. Got a master's of international affairs from a good program (i think top 10?) and graduated with a 3.67 gpa (program was curved to 3.3). I've been working for a couple years in jobs that are definitely related to what i want to do, although they aren't strictly like academic research. I was also an RA for two professors and a TA for a summer class (technically a "reader" not full TA) during my master's. I have reqs from 2 professors i studied with as well as from a manager at my job (work is relevant to my interests). One of my recommenders disappeared at the end of the application period so i had to fill in his req with a req from another person I work with (who at least has a doctorate. In terms of quant, I did work in Stata in my grad program but i really need to refresh my very rusty skills.

I applied to a bunch of programs because i really have no idea how I fall as an applicant. I think my gre is kinda bad and i don't have any published research, but i think my work experience, international experience and language skills, and having gone to grad school and done fairly well are strong points. Anyone have any opinions on how I might do?

I’ve also been shocked by how quiet it is. I ended up sending out the bulk of my applications on the 15th as well. I’ve got a few stragglers that have slightly later deadlines, but we will see. My nerves are starting to set in now. Just trying to stay busy with work. Good luck to everyone over the next few months. Results start coming out about mid February right?

3 hours ago, coffeeman123 said:

I’ve also been shocked by how quiet it is. I ended up sending out the bulk of my applications on the 15th as well. I’ve got a few stragglers that have slightly later deadlines, but we will see. My nerves are starting to set in now. Just trying to stay busy with work. Good luck to everyone over the next few months. Results start coming out about mid February right?

Some programs release their results in mid or late January, some in early or mid March, most of them in February.

On 12/16/2022 at 1:24 PM, Red Eminence said:

I submitted mine during the week. Some platforms are very user-friendly, but others not so much.

I also would like to add my updated CV in January, but not all systems allow it. Not sure if I should contact the dept via email..

On 12/17/2022 at 12:49 PM, coffeeman123 said:

Yup some in Jan and then most in Feb. I think this website is pretty useful.

https://www.martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/

5 hours ago, rk17 said:

Yup some in Jan and then most in Feb. I think this website is pretty useful.

https://www.martindevaux.com/2020/11/political-science-phd-admission-decisions/

That website is great. I didn't realize how many schools began realizing in January; I was expecting the bulk to come in February and March.

13 hours ago, coffeeman123 said:

That website is great. I didn't realize how many schools began realizing in January; I was expecting the bulk to come in February and March.

That's really helpful.

It seems that the first results can come by the end of Jan.

Some people will get interviews somewhere in the second week of Jan.

Hey everyone, happy holidays! Would be interested in what you think, especially for Oxford. I know my undergrad GPA is low but I have great research positions and experience in getting funding, and I'm certain that I'll get great LORs.

Schools / Programs: I only am looking at one-year programs, Oxford's MSc in Politics Research (top choice), University of Toronto's MA in Political Science, University of British Columbia MA in Political Science, Central European University MA Political Science, Trinity College Dublin MA in International Politics.

Undergrad: One of the better universities in France, spent the last year at the University of Geneva. 

Post-graduate: Digital Humanities master at France's top school. Very prestigious.

Degrees: Undergrad bachelors in Social Science with a good amount of courses in PoliSci. Currently doing an MSc in Digital Humanities at France's most prestigious school.

GPA: This is my negative imho, I have a 3.4/4.0. But in my current master's I'll end up with a 3.9/4.0.

GRE: DId not take the GRE.

Language Skills: Amazigh, Arabic, English and French all fluently.

Work Experience: I am currently a research assistant at Sorbonne University and the National Institute for Art History. Just before this, I was a research assistant at Sciences Po. I interned at a think tank before (with somewhat big achievements) and worked at a polling institution. Going to SantAnna School of Advanced Studies during spring, then to University of Toronto for the summer, both for research internships.

LOR: Thesis supervisor (Sciences Po), research position supervisor (Sorbonne Université), and a current professor (Ecole Normale Supérieure). All should be pretty solid.

International Experience: Lived in like 8 countries. Interned and worked around the world.

Quant Experience: Lots of R and Python and other stuff during my Digital Humanities master.

SOP: Will write about my experiences doing research, my master's thesis subject and my interest in comparartive politics and personal life and how as a refugee it wasn't easy for me.

Other: A bunch of decent scholarships (around 30k and this is Europe so they aren't concerning tuition fee), just won one of $12,000CAD from the Canadian government for a research internship at the University of Toronto.

16 hours ago, redaxcx said:

Hey everyone, happy holidays! Would be interested in what you think, especially for Oxford. I know my undergrad GPA is low but I have great research positions and experience in getting funding, and I'm certain that I'll get great LORs.

Schools / Programs: I only am looking at one-year programs, Oxford's MSc in Politics Research (top choice), University of Toronto's MA in Political Science, University of British Columbia MA in Political Science, Central European University MA Political Science, Trinity College Dublin MA in International Politics.

Undergrad: One of the better universities in France, spent the last year at the University of Geneva. 

Post-graduate: Digital Humanities master at France's top school. Very prestigious.

Degrees: Undergrad bachelors in Social Science with a good amount of courses in PoliSci. Currently doing an MSc in Digital Humanities at France's most prestigious school.

GPA: This is my negative imho, I have a 3.4/4.0. But in my current master's I'll end up with a 3.9/4.0.

GRE: DId not take the GRE.

Language Skills: Amazigh, Arabic, English and French all fluently.

Work Experience: I am currently a research assistant at Sorbonne University and the National Institute for Art History. Just before this, I was a research assistant at Sciences Po. I interned at a think tank before (with somewhat big achievements) and worked at a polling institution. Going to SantAnna School of Advanced Studies during spring, then to University of Toronto for the summer, both for research internships.

LOR: Thesis supervisor (Sciences Po), research position supervisor (Sorbonne Université), and a current professor (Ecole Normale Supérieure). All should be pretty solid.

International Experience: Lived in like 8 countries. Interned and worked around the world.

Quant Experience: Lots of R and Python and other stuff during my Digital Humanities master.

SOP: Will write about my experiences doing research, my master's thesis subject and my interest in comparartive politics and personal life and how as a refugee it wasn't easy for me.

Other: A bunch of decent scholarships (around 30k and this is Europe so they aren't concerning tuition fee), just won one of $12,000CAD from the Canadian government for a research internship at the University of Toronto.

What an amazing profile. I guess your undergrad GPA will be a minor detail. The ability to attract money is so important today, so your grants are a super positive signal. You should be a solid contender. Oxford would be lucky to have you there. Happy Holidays all!

Hi all!

Applied to SAIS, Hertie, and SFS for International Relations. Got accepted at the SAIS and Hertie, now waiting for SFS. But SAIS would be my first choice, if I can secure enough funding. Does anybody know about institutional need- and merit-based scholarships there? 

My profile:

• Undergrad: BA Political Science & Economics with strong quantitative profile, best university in Germany for social sciences, GPA 4.0 + a lot of experience abroad at three different European universities
  • Work: Multiple internships in government and business, both national and international. Focus on government affairs, technology, and consulting.

Thanks and happy holidays!