2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

9 minutes ago, Senochka said:

Any tips on staying productive while waiting for the results? Does anything specific help with leaving the sickening worry outside the door? I'm usually okay till 4 pm, then a numbing and paralyzing anxiety starts to surge, and I cannot write a single word till it's the end of the business day on much of the other hemisphere, meanwhile I have to make decent progress on my thesis before the winter break ends... So, any reasonable suggestion is much appreciated.

1) I guess you can try to convince yourself that the first answer will come no earlier than 26 or 27. So before that, don’t even sweat.

2) Read something you really like :)

30 minutes ago, Tutankhamun said:

1) I guess you can try to convince yourself that the first answer will come no earlier than 26 or 27. So before that, don’t even sweat.

2) Read something you really like :)

I've been using a dataset that compiles decision release dates from the previous ten years or so, and it shows that UIUC consistently releases results on the week of the 20th, so it feels like I have to hear sth. back till Friday, or I'm doomed. Also, it's right in the middle with respect to the rankings of the schools to which I applied, so whether I'm in there or not tells a lot about the fate of my remaining apps. 

Well, I was really curious about this sci-fi novel, Ready Player One, maybe I can bury my nose into it, and forget about all this. Thanks. :) 

Edited by Senochka

27 minutes ago, Senochka said:

I've been using a dataset that compiles decision release dates from the previous ten years or so, and it shows that UIUC consistently releases results on the week of the 20th, so it feels like I have to hear sth. back till Friday, or I'm doomed. Also, it's right in the middle with respect to the rankings of the schools to which I applied, so whether I'm in there or not tells a lot about the fate of my remaining apps. 

Well, I was really curious about this sci-fi novel, Ready Player One, maybe I can bury my nose into it, and forget about all this. Thanks. :) 

I've also compiled a dataset with previous results, but my time series is shorter

One cannot go wrong with books. Best way to travel across time...

I am puzzled that I haven't seen anybody claiming interviews in UT-Austin (I think they interviewed people last year). I hope we have good surprises between this and next week...

In my dataset, UW-Madison, UT-Austin, and Emory should release results soon...

12 minutes ago, Aztec said:

I've also compiled a dataset with previous results, but my time series is shorter

One cannot go wrong with books. Best way to travel across time...

I am puzzled that I haven't seen anybody claiming interviews in UT-Austin (I think they interviewed people last year). I hope we have good surprises between this and next week...

In my dataset, UW-Madison, UT-Austin, and Emory should release results soon...

Wow, all three in the same week? Hope this place fills with celebratory and congratulatory posts in the coming week, then.

Hi, everyone! Any news for Northwestern applicants?

Also, has anyone applied to the following universities:

Boston U, U of Illinois at Chicago, U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, U of Minnesota Twin Cities, Wash U in St.L, Mizzou, Pittsburgh, Mississippi, McGill?

If yes, any news for you, ladies and gentlemen? Nothing for me so far - and it is scary.

Please let me know if you get anything.

Thank you, and good luck, people.

Edited by qampus

3 minutes ago, qampus said:

Boston U, U of Illinois at Chicago, U of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, U of Minnesota Twin Cities, Wash U in St.L, Mizzou, Pittsburgh, Mississippi, McGill?

If yes, any news for you, ladies and gentlemen? Nothing for me so far - and it is scary.

I applied to Northwestern and Wash U. Haven't heard back from either, but that's not unusual. I believe we won't hear back until mid-February.

I also applied to Vanderbilt, and they were kind enough to send out a timeline for admissions. Vanderbilt won't begin reviewing applications until next week, and they will release results during the week of February 6. Perhaps the timeline for other schools is similar.

It's a stressful time, I know, but hang in there! We'll hear results soon enough. Hoping you hear some good news.

1 hour ago, qampus said:

I applied to NW, UIUC, and UMN-Twin Cities from your list, heard nothing so far. I assumed it was because I was going to be rejected by all, but now I see it's kinda standard procedure. So we're all fine, for now. ? 

Thank you all for providing updates! For all who are accepted and invited to the interviews - congratulations! For all those who are waiting for the results, hang in there! 

In terms of UChicago, Political Science department, after seeing the above news, I checked my admission portal, there is no any updates there. Neither I received rejection yet. Any ideas what that can potentially supposed to mean? 

6 minutes ago, vbffx1371hcrbi said:

Thank you all for providing updates! For all who are accepted and invited to the interviews - congratulations! For all those who are waiting for the results, hang in there! 

In terms of UChicago, Political Science department, after seeing the above news, I checked my admission portal, there is no any updates there. Neither I received rejection yet. Any ideas what that can potentially supposed to mean? 

They are different programs, adcomms and so on. So, no interference...

PE also released results earlier than PoliSci last year. 

16 minutes ago, navyir said:

@KiavellidesIf you want to talk about the IR subfield at UVA let me know. Can share my experiences....

To be honest, I do not know about it much. It was not a great fit for me, and I had to scour the department faculty homepage for someone with at least some connection to my research interests. No wonder I got waitlisted..