2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

Hi everyone, I wanted to get some advice. I recently got a paper published as a co-author but the journal my PI submitted to is not great (0.1 impact factor). I’m wondering if this is even worth updating my CV and sending back out to schools, or if I should leave it as-is?

56 minutes ago, coffeeman123 said:

Hi everyone, I wanted to get some advice. I recently got a paper published as a co-author but the journal my PI submitted to is not great (0.1 impact factor). I’m wondering if this is even worth updating my CV and sending back out to schools, or if I should leave it as-is?

I faced a similar situation. Then I've talked to a professor and he told me the application is more about what we can do than what we did. That being said, of course a publication is a signal that one can do things, but it shouldn't have a HUGE impact. Anyway, what I did: I uploaded an updated CV in the apps that we can do this easily, but I let it as it is in those that I'd have to send an email and so on...

3 hours ago, coffeeman123 said:

I've heard from a couple DGS that they want a complete profile from everyone as of the application deadline and after that considering new developments creates some inequity between applicants. Because of that they will refuse to consider new application materials. 

The longer we go without results makes me think this application cohort is smaller than expected. Anyone else feel the same way?

I expected a rather large cohort as one DGS told me they weren't as active trying to drum up applications because they were already anticipating a large cohort. Anyone hear anything from programs about cohort size?

Welcome @sktlab

Being active here reduce a little the anxiety...

16 minutes ago, Crossed_fingers said:

The longer we go without results makes me think this application cohort is smaller than expected. Anyone else feel the same way?

I expected a rather large cohort as one DGS told me they weren't as active trying to drum up applications because they were already anticipating a large cohort. Anyone hear anything from programs about cohort size?

I hope cohorts are at least normal-sized and universities play a good game of coordination, offering admission for all of us ?

Hi guys, I've been watching this forum but didn't have anything to post until now. After reading @MIAMia237's post, I decided to check the U Chicago Political Economy portal. I got a status update asking for a 15 min interview the week of Jan 23. No email, had to check the portal directly.

Does anyone know what to expect? This will be my first interview (I also applied to Duke but haven't heard anything).

7 minutes ago, TerribleTowel said:

Hi guys, I've been watching this forum but didn't have anything to post until now. After reading @MIAMia237's post, I decided to check the U Chicago Political Economy portal. I got a status update asking for a 15 min interview the week of Jan 23. No email, had to check the portal directly.

Does anyone know what to expect? This will be my first interview (I also applied to Duke but haven't heard anything).

Wow. This is new and amazing!

You probably already know that, but questions are normally something like: Why a PhD? Why PE? Why do you expect to get from a PhD? Who are you (as a person, researcher, scholar)? What is different in your research? Why this university/program? What would you bring to the program? Which challenges do you expect to face and how do you plan to overcome them? What questions do you have for us...

2 minutes ago, Aztec said:

Wow. This is new and amazing!

You probably already know that, but questions are normally something like: Why a PhD? Why PE? Why do you expect to get from a PhD? Who are you (as a person, researcher, scholar)? What is different in your research? Why this university/program? What would you bring to the program? Which challenges do you expect to face and how do you plan to overcome them? What questions do you have for us...

Thank you! Those are all good questions, thanks for sharing.

To everyone on this forum, I hope you hear some good news soon as well.

5 hours ago, Crossed_fingers said:

Does it imply that this year has fewer applicants so that application will be easier than that of least year? 

This is gonna be a really dumb question, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. When you mention checking the portals, is it just the same portal that we originally applied through or is there another portal where we wait for decisions?

8 minutes ago, coffeeman123 said:

This is gonna be a really dumb question, but I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. When you mention checking the portals, is it just the same portal that we originally applied through or is there another portal where we wait for decisions?

That's a good question. It's the same portal you used to apply. You should see a checklist. If there's a status update, then you'll see it at the top of the page

UChicago_PE.jpg

2 minutes ago, TerribleTowel said:

That's a good question. It's the same portal you used to apply. You should see a checklist. If there's a status update, then you'll see it at the top of the page

UChicago_PE.jpg

Hot damn, that’s a nice image, especially knowing there was an interview on the other end. U of Chicago and a status update. Congrats!

I hope I’m prepared for mine and the potential rejections on the following page. T-T

Any tips on staying productive while waiting for the results? Does anything specific help with leaving the sickening worry outside the door? I'm usually okay till 4 pm, then a numbing and paralyzing anxiety starts to surge, and I cannot write a single word till it's the end of the business day on much of the other hemisphere, meanwhile I have to make decent progress on my thesis before the winter break ends... So, any reasonable suggestion is much appreciated.