2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

Has anyone else applied to or heard from UIUC? I see one acceptance on the results page, the director of grad. admissions told me that all decisions would likely be out by the end of the month, and I am trying to figure out whether all acceptances are sent, and we have only one person here who applied or is accepted or the decision rollout works more like a process at UIUC. Thanks in advance for any replies that might come.

7 minutes ago, Senochka said:

Has anyone else applied to or heard from UIUC? I see one acceptance on the results page, the director of grad. admissions told me that all decisions would likely be out by the end of the month, and I am trying to figure out whether all acceptances are sent, and we have only one person here who applied or is accepted or the decision rollout works more like a process at UIUC. Thanks in advance for any replies that might come.

Probably a little bit of both. Maybe they sent a first batch of acceptances but only one person posted. Maybe it's subfield dependent. You can get their admission data here: https://apps.grad.illinois.edu/dashboard/
Given that they usually admit something between 15-20 ppl, I'd imagine that not all responses are going out at the same time. I would think we would see a little more reporting here if they had sent that much acceptances/waitlists.

Hello everyone, I am new in this Political Science Graduate Applications forum; I am an International applicant and good luck for all applicants!

I applied to University of Notre Dame but couldn't receive email for Zoom interview; should I begin to accept that I would be rejected? I received interview email from Duke University. 

Also, does anyone know whether Georgetown Government PhD program would do interviews and is there also anyone who applied for Columbia Political Science PhD program?

Thanks in advance.

4 hours ago, securityscholar said:

Hello everyone. Hope we can all hang in there in this turbulent month.

I also applied to Duke and UWM and have not received any interview emails (IR-focus). I will wait for another week, but I think, it is safe to assume that I got rejected by both.

Duke sent emails for interview but you can wait for one week; hope that they can send it to you as well.

I am also an applicant from Turkey (Koc University); are you studying at which university in Turkey?

12 minutes ago, PolGrad said:

I applied to University of Notre Dame but couldn't receive email for Zoom interview; should I begin to accept that I would be rejected? I received interview email from Duke University. 

Also, does anyone know whether Georgetown Government PhD program would do interviews and is there also anyone who applied for Columbia Political Science PhD program?

Thanks in advance.

Hi there.

Georgetown has conducted interviews in the past, even last year. I'm not sure they will necessarily conduct interviews, though (edit: meaning if you were not requested for an interview, it doesn't mean you're out). I'm clueless about Columbia.

I'm on the same boat regarding Notre Dame. Since their deadline is the 26th, I'm assuming there's still a chance that the interviews that were reported here were from different subfields that did not include you and me (I'm comparative, as is a poster above with the same questions). That being said, I think if we're not contacted by next Friday (the 20th) then I'll count myself out, although I think it is prudent to wait until the 26th to actually post things.

Best of luck for you at Duke!

Edited by anonymousvulture

10 minutes ago, anonymousvulture said:

Hi there.

Georgetown has conducted interviews in the past, even last year. I'm not sure they will necessarily conduct interviews, though (edit: meaning if you were not requested for an interview, it doesn't mean you're out). I'm clueless about Columbia.

I'm on the same boat regarding Notre Dame. Since their deadline is the 26th, I'm assuming there's still a chance that the interviews that were reported here were from different subfields that did not include you and me (I'm comparative, as is a poster above with the same questions). That being said, I think if we're not contacted by next Friday (the 20th) then I'll count myself out, although I think it is prudent to wait until the 26th to actually post things.

Best of luck for you at Duke!

Thank you very much; I hope both of us would receive emails for Notre Dame interviews.

I tried to apply for as many programs as possible but I am worried about application process because there is also a possibility that all applied programs may not accept International applicants like me for fully funded scholarships.

I have one more question: I submitted my GRE scores for my Phd applications but one of my friends who is from another university in Turkey (one of the best universities in Turkey like mine) preferred not to submit his GRE scores for the programs which kept it optional or not required. He thinks that his GRE Scores are not competitive; that's why he didnt want to hurt his chances. Do you think that not submitting GRE scores for the programs that kept it optional would make applicants more disadvantaged or less preferable?

4 minutes ago, PolGrad said:

Thank you very much; I hope both of us would receive emails for Notre Dame interviews.

I tried to apply for as many programs as possible but I am worried about application process because there is also a possibility that all applied programs may not accept International applicants like me for fully funded scholarships.

I have one more question: I submitted my GRE scores for my Phd applications but one of my friends who is from another university in Turkey (one of the best universities in Turkey like mine) preferred not to submit his GRE scores for the programs which kept it optional or not required. He thinks that his GRE Scores are not competitive; that's why he didnt want to hurt his chances. Do you think that not submitting GRE scores for the programs that kept it optional would make applicants more disadvantaged or less preferable?

Don't worry about admissions and funding; most universities look to build a diverse cohort. Private Unis will fund you, no problem. People say public universities like OSU or UW-M prefer taxpayers, but I have no idea wether this is true. 

As for the GRE, I asked a gazillion people and nobody gave me much of an answer to your friend's case (which is the same as mine). To be fair, there doesn't seem to be one. I think foreigners are strongly advised to submit their GRE if the scores are good. It is a function of I) how competitive the program is; ii) how quantitative the program is; iii) whether you're an international applicant. Foreigners like me without US grades in their academic record should really send the scores if they feel it won't hurt their chances. I was overworked and only had a couple of weeks to prep for the GRE. Didn't like my scores. I also have a boatload of methods training an TAing, so I thought it would be better to send an imperfect signal (methods training with no GRE) than a mixed signal (methods training with poor GRE) and get shot down by someone in the adcom for a poor GRE. 

14 minutes ago, anonymousvulture said:

Don't worry about admissions and funding; most universities look to build a diverse cohort. Private Unis will fund you, no problem. People say public universities like OSU or UW-M prefer taxpayers, but I have no idea wether this is true. 

As for the GRE, I asked a gazillion people and nobody gave me much of an answer to your friend's case (which is the same as mine). To be fair, there doesn't seem to be one. I think foreigners are strongly advised to submit their GRE if the scores are good. It is a function of I) how competitive the program is; ii) how quantitative the program is; iii) whether you're an international applicant. Foreigners like me without US grades in their academic record should really send the scores if they feel it won't hurt their chances. I was overworked and only had a couple of weeks to prep for the GRE. Didn't like my scores. I also have a boatload of methods training an TAing, so I thought it would be better to send an imperfect signal (methods training with no GRE) than a mixed signal (methods training with poor GRE) and get shot down by someone in the adcom for a poor GRE. 

Many thanks for your reply :) Well, he wasn't happy with his Verbal score, it might be difficult for non-English applicants to get high from the GRE Verbal and that's why He didn't want to take risks because he would like to focus on qualitative heavy, less quant programs. 

By the way, at which university are you studying currently? 

@anonymousvultureThank you so much for your input, I guess I will hope and wait till Friday, and if no email arrives by the end of the business day on 20th, will assume that a rejection is on the way.

@PolGradHi, a fellow applicant from Turkey here. As a veteran of the U.S. higher ed. system, I would say that submitting a GRE score is always in the best interest of any international applicant. Although most Turkish universities use a 4.0 scale, how, say, a 3.5 from METU or Boğaziçi compares to a 3.5 at NW, a Big Ten school, or highly ranked LAC is not always known to committee members. In that case, relying on GRE scores in order to evaluate applicants by standardized parameters that are somewhat context-independent is wise. So, unless your friend's application is exceptionally strong in any other aspect (publications, related and reputable work experience etc.), s/he should be cautiously optimistic about his/her prospects. Added to that the current visa crisis in Turkey, schools that want a diverse student body might seek to fill those seats from another part of the globe that proves to be less burdensome when it comes to F-1 sponsorships, and might turn to students who provide he aforementioned data, a GRE score, for straightforward comparison. I don't mean to sound harsh or anything by the way, I am in a similar situation, and this is how I see my prospects as well. Since I am a disabled applicant and taking the GRE with accommodations as an int'l student is notoriously hard, although I am expecting my scores to be quite competitive for top 50 and somewhat competitive for top 30, they didn't make the cut in terms of the deadlines, and I believe my chances will be slim because of that. Having said that, a sound evaluation requires a full story, maybe your friend has qualities that will motivate committees to look beyond theGRE, maybe his/her interests will resonate so well with those of a faculty member and s/he will advocate for your friend, I don't know. My evaluations rely on assumptions inspired by my experience and might not hold true for anyone else besides myself. Best of luck to both of you.

10 minutes ago, Senochka said:

@anonymousvultureThank you so much for your input, I guess I will hope and wait till Friday, and if no email arrives by the end of the business day on 20th, will assume that a rejection is on the way.

@PolGradHi, a fellow applicant from Turkey here. As a veteran of the U.S. higher ed. system, I would say that submitting a GRE score is always in the best interest of any international applicant. Although most Turkish universities use a 4.0 scale, how, say, a 3.5 from METU or Boğaziçi compares to a 3.5 at NW, a Big Ten school, or highly ranked LAC is not always known to committee members. In that case, relying on GRE scores in order to evaluate applicants by standardized parameters that are somewhat context-independent is wise. So, unless your friend's application is exceptionally strong in any other aspect (publications, related and reputable work experience etc.), s/he should be cautiously optimistic about his/her prospects. Added to that the current visa crisis in Turkey, schools that want a diverse student body might seek to fill those seats from another part of the globe that proves to be less burdensome when it comes to F-1 sponsorships, and might turn to students who provide he aforementioned data, a GRE score, for straightforward comparison. I don't mean to sound harsh or anything by the way, I am in a similar situation, and this is how I see my prospects as well. Since I am a disabled applicant and taking the GRE with accommodations as an int'l student is notoriously hard, although I am expecting my scores to be quite competitive for top 50 and somewhat competitive for top 30, they didn't make the cut in terms of the deadlines, and I believe my chances will be slim because of that. Having said that, a sound evaluation requires a full story, maybe your friend has qualities that will motivate committees to look beyond theGRE, maybe his/her interests will resonate so well with those of a faculty member and s/he will advocate for your friend, I don't know. My evaluations rely on assumptions inspired by my experience and might not hold true for anyone else besides myself. Best of luck to both of you.

Hi and thank you very much for your reply, it is nice to see other Turkish applicants at this forum :) I wish you Best of luck as well for your PhD applications.

3 hours ago, Senochka said:

I applied for UIUC but haven't received anything from them yet. What's your subfield. Mine is cp. 

2 hours ago, politicallygrad said:

hello everyone! I hope everyone will hear good news very soon. did anyone hear back from boston or northwestern? I am hoping that boston will be out in 1 or 2 weeks. 

I applied for Northwestern. We should expect answers to come after the 1st week of February...

Can I ask you which is your field? Trying to decide if I still should have hope to receive an interview from Duke (institutions)...

Edited by Aztec
adding

32 minutes ago, Aztec said:

I applied for Northwestern. We should expect answers to come after the 1st week of February...

Can I ask you which is your field? Trying to decide if I still should have hope to receive an interview from Duke (institutions)...

hey, I applied for political theory in NW. didn't hear back yet. I did not apply for duke so no info there. ?

6 minutes ago, politicallygrad said:

hey, I applied for political theory in NW. didn't hear back yet. I did not apply for duke so no info there. ?

Oh, my confusion, it was PolGrad that applied there haha

So, Northwestern sent their acceptances on Feb 3rd last year.

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?per_page=20&q=&institution=Northwestern+University&program=Political+Science&degree=PhD&season=F22

6 minutes ago, Aztec said:

Oh, my confusion, it was PolGrad that applied there haha

So, Northwestern sent their acceptances on Feb 3rd last year.

https://www.thegradcafe.com/survey/?per_page=20&q=&institution=Northwestern+University&program=Political+Science&degree=PhD&season=F22

yup, yet they seem to send their rejections so late. this one will be quite a challenge...

5 hours ago, lesleyzhanggg said:

I applied for UIUC but haven't received anything from them yet. What's your subfield. Mine is cp. 

I'm CP too, it's subfield by subfield then, this fills me with a transient sense of relief :) hoping good news is on the way for both of us, thank you so much for your reply.