2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

I just finally got my first admit, to American University SIS. I'm happy but the stipend is only 25K which seems really hard to live on for DC area. Would people here generally expect a higher stipend than this or are you just supposed to make it work? 

On 4/6/2023 at 6:26 PM, QuantPoliSci said:

So, where did everyone end up choosing to go? Its about that point that people should be making decision 

I decided on UVA - felt really happy with the connections I made with the faculty and think it's a good place for my interests. You?

On 4/7/2023 at 3:45 AM, iskander said:

I just finally got my first admit, to American University SIS. I'm happy but the stipend is only 25K which seems really hard to live on for DC area. Would people here generally expect a higher stipend than this or are you just supposed to make it work? 

https://www.phdstipends.com/ check this website out - super insightful about letting you know the stipends at American and other unis in DC. I have never lived in DC but it does seem a bit low, best to contact grad students at American and see how they get by.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone! Has anybody heard when UCLA will have an update on waitlisted candidates? I've tried reaching out to them a couple of times with no response, and I have to make my decision for another program by next week.

9 hours ago, ep92 said:

Hi everyone! Has anybody heard when UCLA will have an update on waitlisted candidates? I've tried reaching out to them a couple of times with no response, and I have to make my decision for another program by next week.

hi, same situation. been reaching out for weeks now (phone and email), but no response. pretty frustrating and I had to commit to another school as a result. last I heard (4/06), they told me they'd have a response "soon" and that I was #1 on my respective waitlist.... but here we are lol 

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2023 at 5:52 PM, chairman mao said:

hi, same situation. been reaching out for weeks now (phone and email), but no response. pretty frustrating and I had to commit to another school as a result. last I heard (4/06), they told me they'd have a response "soon" and that I was #1 on my respective waitlist.... but here we are lol 

Hi, still in the same situation here. Has anyone heard anything about UCLA's waitlist? For those who accepted other offers, did you notify UCLA to remove you from the waitlist, or are you holding out hope for a spot?