2022-2023 Application Thread

Theory007

On 12/27/2022 at 5:26 AM, 0025gts said:

Hi all!

Applied to SAIS, Hertie, and SFS for International Relations. Got accepted at the SAIS and Hertie, now waiting for SFS. But SAIS would be my first choice, if I can secure enough funding. Does anybody know about institutional need- and merit-based scholarships there? 

My profile:

• Undergrad: BA Political Science & Economics with strong quantitative profile, best university in Germany for social sciences, GPA 4.0 + a lot of experience abroad at three different European universities
  • Work: Multiple internships in government and business, both national and international. Focus on government affairs, technology, and consulting.

Thanks and happy holidays!

Just to not let you without an answer, @0025gts....

I guess most people here are applying for US institutions (at least my case).

Happy New Year everybody. I hope 2023 will start well for all of us :)

Just now, Red Duke said:

I am sorry @coffeeman123. But the cycle is only starting (very early this result btw). 

Good things are coming!

Ah it’s okay, I’m sure many more are on their way. I only need to get into 1 after all haha. I was also shocked that it came so early. 

1 hour ago, lesleyzhanggg said:

I didn't get interview email from Notre Dame. Assumed I'm rejected lol. Comp.

Yeah, same here. But I wouldn't rule it out just yet. Notre Dame starts early, but there is Xmas and all that. Also, it appears to me that those invites may come at different times depending on the subfield. I'm comparative too. I don't think they'll wait until the 26th (the date they gave us), but I'll wait until next friday to give up

Do you all think as many people are applying this year as the past two years (especially when the GRE waiver was there)? Do you think universities have returned their cohort sizes to "normal" in the aftermath of COVID/budget cuts, or do you think the smaller cohort sizes are here to stay?

23 minutes ago, MooseTracks said:

Do you all think as many people are applying this year as the past two years (especially when the GRE waiver was there)? Do you think universities have returned their cohort sizes to "normal" in the aftermath of COVID/budget cuts, or do you think the smaller cohort sizes are here to stay?

Great questions.

If participation in this forum is a good sample, maybe the number of applicants returned to normal. We see fewer posts in the results page than previous years... 

Now, regarding the cohort sizes, I guess it may vary across programs and only internal info would help us.

19 minutes ago, MooseTracks said:

Man, I really wanted an inkling on that too. I don't think cohort sizes will increase because, in addition to the covid shock, there's the dual pull of i) need to provide better work conditions (stipends) and ii) increasingly dire job market prospects in academia. So I think the average department will try to keep less PhD candidates, but with better funding and with the possibility of providing extra years for a smooth(ish) job market transition. But it also feels like that adjustment already came, at least to some extent. So I don't think programs that aim for a cohort of 10 will start slashing it to 6, and I'm hoping (lol) cohort sizes to stay roughly the same.

As for the demand side (number of applicants), I think it's hard to separate the GRE-waive effect from the covid effect (people choosing academia due to a slower job market or something like that). But I would guess that if programs had something like a 20% boom in applicants due to covid, 90% of those were people taking a flyer in academia, and so they would probably be less competitive applicants. I think what could really make our lives harder is a decrease in cohort size - if it really comes to fruition. I also think forums like this one may be falling out of favor for whatever reason. There's some ppl at reddit, but I couldn't find much polisci related content in there.

I don't know about you guys, but to see some movement here reduces the anxiety hehe

Btw, it is hard to know the members of the adcom, but once one does, they sometimes post things like "too many applications" or "nice applications"... 

Screen Shot 2023-01-12 at 3.03.51 PM.jpg

34 minutes ago, Red Duke said:

I don't know about you guys, but to see some movement here reduces the anxiety hehe

Btw, it is hard to know the members of the adcom, but once one does, they sometimes post things like "too many applications" or "nice applications"... 

I'm freaking the F out, even if I rationally know I'm not getting any news until late january/late feb. I'm at a point where I get some stress relieve just to see any admission update, even if it is an interview at a place I haven't applied to. It is getting ridiculous lol.

And yeah, I sometimes search faculty on twitter/mastodon, but to no avail so far haha.

8 minutes ago, anonymousvulture said:

I'm freaking the F out, even if I rationally know I'm not getting any news until late january/late feb. I'm at a point where I get some stress relieve just to see any admission update, even if it is an interview at a place I haven't applied to. It is getting ridiculous lol.

And yeah, I sometimes search faculty on twitter/mastodon, but to no avail so far haha.

I feel you!

I think between the last week of January and the First of February we should have a couple of results, following last year's trend...