• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Doctorate of Social Work (DSW) Fall 2023??

all4foofighters

Hey Folks, 

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that is considering applying to a DSW program for Fall 2023? I read the last two forms (2021 and 2022) and loved seeing all the support and information sharing. I thought I would start this year's. I've already submitted my applications for the following: NYU (went there for grad school) and of course 'Bama (honestly, it's the price point). Hope to hear from y'all soon! 

• 2 months later...

How did your application cycle go? ... how is it going? I can't remember the timeline on these things anymore, but I wanna help give this tread some boost! 

Did you look anywhere else? I know UPenn is always a popular one, and they are said to like taking people from the NE and clinically minded... say, someone who went to NYU for grad school. 

@EJM HEY! Finally some action on this thread lol (j/k). Application went well; I only applied to NYU and BAMA. I work for NYC and therefore qualify for a scholarship that would cover half the tuition at NYU (and then if accepted, there's some field work/supervision DSW's can do for an additional 25% off tuition). I also went to NYU for my MSW (graduated 2016). First choice is NYU, as I have a preference for in-person learning, and I only applied to BAMA because it is affordable, I don't want to take out any loans. I hope to hear back from them soon, my guess is February. How has the DSW been on your end? How's USC treating you? While I know the degrees are different, how has your experience been at USC in comparison to NYU? 

LOL, yeah, there is an unfortunately small amount of chatter this year. That's fantastic that you can have so much of it payed for by work, I would have prioritized NYU if that was an option for me too.

*I'm adding this in after writing too much, this is a total ramble, but I don't want to cut it down on the chance that some of it is useful to you, please ask questions if you want specifics, as this ended up all over the place*

I will start by saying that I really enjoyed NYU for their masters program. I went in knowing that it was largely clinical and it fit well with what I had done in the past and what I thought I wanted s the best program I have come across still for my long term goals. I preferred the well rounded single focus of NYU and from the few people I have talked to in/around the DSW it is similar to the MSW in that way, although not as smoothly functioning (I was looking in the first year of the DSW so I'm way out of date) and it sounded like they were quickly teaching the classes they took as MSW students as part of their learning, and it took a lot out of them. USC on the other hand has been around longer (or at least they started before I looked at them), but keeps changing. In my time they went from a 2 year, 6 semester program where you're building the final product starting in semester 1 all the way though, to 2 different tracks, both longer, and both with a full year just on your capstone after all your core curriculum is complete. Because I took time off I ended up in the second option, and probably the better option. Because of it the new set up is being tested on us as they learn what the program needs, kinda the opposite of what I liked about NYU. USC also does not engage policy with specific curriculum, nor racism, but is centered around the 13 grand challenges and programmatic/leadership level solutions, right where policy and racism are needed to be addressed. A small point, USC also admits more degrees than just MSW's, and that comes with good and not so good. I for one did not appreciate paying for a doctoral course to get non MSW's caught up on things I learned getting my MSW... the wider range of views is good though. NYU was quicker to incorporate current things in the socio-political landscape and the program seems like it is moving even more in that direction (my partner just graduated from Silver as well, and the new leadership seems to be even more on it). For me I would probably have come back to NYU because I knew it, and I've been a clinician for so many years it would strengthen what I do and put me in position for next level opportunities. But again, I wanted to change systematic problems, and I felt like NYU wouldn't give me a clear path to do that. I have some mixed emotions around USC, but I really have learned a lot and have the ability to build, understand and run programs, but it has been frustrating at times getting there. This all sounds like a lot of nothing to me, so I'll say that NYU feels like more of the traditional doctorate and USC more of a leadership program that ends with a doctorate. USC also has a lot more ra ra ra, go team, but that could just be me as I had never gone to a university with a football team before. It's probably very normal, but it feels, I don't know this expresses it well, but like NYU is "more academic"? or something? maybe you get what I'm saying. If I could pull together my USC doctorate at NYU for the experience and smoother running, and changing program, that would probably be my ideal school. Oh, and with Bama pricing!  😂

for what it is worth, I also did have an old advisor who said people told them not to go to NYU for the DSW, but wouldn't expand on why... or I didn't ask? you weren't there, and I don't remember, so let's just say it was so dismissible to me that I let it skip right out of my mind. Really, I'm not sure you can get something better at the price you are looking at with work helping out.