Doctorate of Social Work (DSW) Fall 2023??

all4foofighters

Hey Folks, 

I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that is considering applying to a DSW program for Fall 2023? I read the last two forms (2021 and 2022) and loved seeing all the support and information sharing. I thought I would start this year's. I've already submitted my applications for the following: NYU (went there for grad school) and of course 'Bama (honestly, it's the price point). Hope to hear from y'all soon! 

• 2 months later...

How did your application cycle go? ... how is it going? I can't remember the timeline on these things anymore, but I wanna help give this tread some boost! 

Did you look anywhere else? I know UPenn is always a popular one, and they are said to like taking people from the NE and clinically minded... say, someone who went to NYU for grad school. 

@EJM HEY! Finally some action on this thread lol (j/k). Application went well; I only applied to NYU and BAMA. I work for NYC and therefore qualify for a scholarship that would cover half the tuition at NYU (and then if accepted, there's some field work/supervision DSW's can do for an additional 25% off tuition). I also went to NYU for my MSW (graduated 2016). First choice is NYU, as I have a preference for in-person learning, and I only applied to BAMA because it is affordable, I don't want to take out any loans. I hope to hear back from them soon, my guess is February. How has the DSW been on your end? How's USC treating you? While I know the degrees are different, how has your experience been at USC in comparison to NYU? 

LOL, yeah, there is an unfortunately small amount of chatter this year. That's fantastic that you can have so much of it payed for by work, I would have prioritized NYU if that was an option for me too.

*I'm adding this in after writing too much, this is a total ramble, but I don't want to cut it down on the chance that some of it is useful to you, please ask questions if you want specifics, as this ended up all over the place*

I will start by saying that I really enjoyed NYU for their masters program. I went in knowing that it was largely clinical and it fit well with what I had done in the past and what I thought I wanted s the best program I have come across still for my long term goals. I preferred the well rounded single focus of NYU and from the few people I have talked to in/around the DSW it is similar to the MSW in that way, although not as smoothly functioning (I was looking in the first year of the DSW so I'm way out of date) and it sounded like they were quickly teaching the classes they took as MSW students as part of their learning, and it took a lot out of them. USC on the other hand has been around longer (or at least they started before I looked at them), but keeps changing. In my time they went from a 2 year, 6 semester program where you're building the final product starting in semester 1 all the way though, to 2 different tracks, both longer, and both with a full year just on your capstone after all your core curriculum is complete. Because I took time off I ended up in the second option, and probably the better option. Because of it the new set up is being tested on us as they learn what the program needs, kinda the opposite of what I liked about NYU. USC also does not engage policy with specific curriculum, nor racism, but is centered around the 13 grand challenges and programmatic/leadership level solutions, right where policy and racism are needed to be addressed. A small point, USC also admits more degrees than just MSW's, and that comes with good and not so good. I for one did not appreciate paying for a doctoral course to get non MSW's caught up on things I learned getting my MSW... the wider range of views is good though. NYU was quicker to incorporate current things in the socio-political landscape and the program seems like it is moving even more in that direction (my partner just graduated from Silver as well, and the new leadership seems to be even more on it). For me I would probably have come back to NYU because I knew it, and I've been a clinician for so many years it would strengthen what I do and put me in position for next level opportunities. But again, I wanted to change systematic problems, and I felt like NYU wouldn't give me a clear path to do that. I have some mixed emotions around USC, but I really have learned a lot and have the ability to build, understand and run programs, but it has been frustrating at times getting there. This all sounds like a lot of nothing to me, so I'll say that NYU feels like more of the traditional doctorate and USC more of a leadership program that ends with a doctorate. USC also has a lot more ra ra ra, go team, but that could just be me as I had never gone to a university with a football team before. It's probably very normal, but it feels, I don't know this expresses it well, but like NYU is "more academic"? or something? maybe you get what I'm saying. If I could pull together my USC doctorate at NYU for the experience and smoother running, and changing program, that would probably be my ideal school. Oh, and with Bama pricing!  ?

for what it is worth, I also did have an old advisor who said people told them not to go to NYU for the DSW, but wouldn't expand on why... or I didn't ask? you weren't there, and I don't remember, so let's just say it was so dismissible to me that I let it skip right out of my mind. Really, I'm not sure you can get something better at the price you are looking at with work helping out.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

Wishing you all luck for this year's application cycle. I do have a few updates for those browsing the forum, much like myself in past years.

- UTK (University of Tennessee, Knoxville): I was accepted on March 9th, 2023 - scholarship application was due yesterday, March 19th 2023.

- UA (University of Alabama): my portal still shows "Department Review in Process" - I hear denials go out fast.

I also have a quick couple of questions: do you have (or know someone) with experience in UA's or UTK's DSW program? If so, what was the experience like?

Looking forward to talking more about DSW's. Take good care!

@GRMichigan Thanks for the update! I reached out to a couple of graduates of UofA's DSW program on LinkedIn to ask them some questions. I'll copy and paste some of their responses: 

1. Class schedule: So things might have changed since I was in the program (I was in the first cohort). They are on cohort 5 or 6 now, I think. We didn’t have a set schedule for courses. Some teachers didn’t have Zoom sessions at all. Others held them once a week in the evenings. I had one instructor that held them once a month on Saturdays. It really just varies depending on the professor. 2. I heard back about 4-6 weeks after the deadline, so you’ll hear something soon! I didn’t have to interview. I know they require that if your application materials are strong but unclear. Not many people have to go through that though from what I know. 3. Overall, I enjoyed the program. The first three semesters were the most challenge because doctoral study is so much different than other levels. It’s all based in research so I had to adjust my mindset. As long as you keep up with the readings, you’ll do just fine! I worked full time, taught part time at two colleges, and was married. I was able to do it!

Not a problem at all. So let me preface my answers by stating that I was in the inagural class of the DSW at UA. Several decades ago they had a DSW program like many other universities and there was a movement to transition those from DSW to PhD programs. Now there is a push to bring back those DSW programs.  In my experiences in UA's program, we had syncronous classes during the week in the evening. Each prof would send out a poll to see what times were avail for everyone and that is how they were scheduled. In some classes you met weekly in others it was every couple of weeks.  I think UA has a hybrid MSW program that has practice labs on the weekends. There are some on-site intensive residencies during the summer.  In terms of workload, my MSW had much more work/assignments. The DSW was more targeted and applied rather than busy work.  I was able to maintain a full-time job, 3-4 consulting gigs, and a few other obligations and mix in a family crisis. It was all doable. Not saying it was easy because it was challenging, but follow the prescribed plan and trust the process. Those that had difficulties often tried to deviate and do their own thing. I am not sure when you will hear back. I know the program is very competitive with 200-300 applications and only accepting 20 (10 in each track). I liked their cohort model as you have the same peers from the start of the program.   I did not have to interview, but I suppose that is always possible depending on what process they are using. The DSW program coordinator changed since I was there.  My experience was a positive one. It was rigorous and if you don't question your sanity and doubt yourself every few weeks, you would be in the minority. Imposter syndrome was real. But I felt supported throuhgout the program. Most of the faculty were extremely responsive and the few that weren't... I think some of the alter cohorts had a different prof for the class. Most classes are taught by experts in the specific areas.  The "defense" was very much like a presentation at a national conference type feel so if you have done that, it would not be too much more pressure than that. By the time I got there, I felt prepared and ready to go.  My career hasn't changed much, but that is on me not the degree. I am certainly qualified for more positions. I was already in a full time faculty position at University prior to my going into the program. I did change positions to admin during the program and received a large pay increase. But higher ed typically pays less than private industry. I have had multiple job offers from head hunters that are quite lucrative.

and lastly

Most definitely have! 1) Yes, classes are held during the week. However it’s not a fixed scheduled. There’s a lot of independent study that happens in UofA’s program (HEAVY on the independent). It understands the balance of school and outside obligations. It is both asynchronous and synchronous. Your class schedule tends to be weekly, bi weekly, or a set number of classes during. During my time, my classes were often either bi weekly or 8-10 sessions throughout the semester. I have had classes all different days of the week except Friday. Professors are typically opened to modifying the schedule as the class needs it as well. These classes are seen more so supplementary to the class work and are doctoral seminars most of the time. 2) I know the wait is killer. I received my acceptance in April 2020. I also applied later than October so you may hear back sooner than that. The application deadline is 3/1 so it might just be that they are holding out a little longer. 3) Overall, I had a good experience in the program. I would say 7/10. I was part of the second DSW cohort so things were still very experimental and new. A lot has shifted (in a good way!) since the first and second cohort. The courses were one of my favorite parts of the programs because most of the professors were very thought provoking and challenging especially when you get into your specialization. Prior to that, you’re learning your cohort and the “how to” of doctoral debates. Knowing your interest will help you in the long wrong as you can pull and research different things around the topic. All that you do in every class you are able to use it in your final capstone. Are you choosing clinical or organizational leadership? I can give you a more tailored response for organizational leadership as that was my path. Time management is definitely an active skill in doctoral programs. For UofA, The syllabi provides all the dates you’ll ever need to know. If things shift for whatever reason, you’ll be notified. It’s difficult, but manageable. You also have a cohort that you’ll be bonded to. My 2020 cohort has group chats that we actively communicated in to remind everyone of upcoming dates. You will have to be a master of time especially since this program runs all year around. Hope this helps. Let me know if there’s anything else you’re curious about!

I'm still waiting; I needed to have something submitted to NYU for a scholarship, so I reached out to them under that pretense and I got this response regarding admission acceptance: 

Thank you for your email. Please reach out to the Mayor's Graduate Scholarship Program directly as they coordinate all of the applications before sending them to us. 

I also want to note that I do remember you had a question in one of our first information sessions about the timeline for admissions decisions. I want to acknowledge that it has been a while since then and thank you for your patience. Our admissions committee is currently reviewing applications and we hope to begin informing applicants of decisions soon.

The wait is challenging; I applied earlier (in October) thinking that I would maybe hear back earlier. I was wrong lol. @KryzFerr and @GRMichiganHow was everyone's application process? 

Edited by all4foofighters

On 3/23/2023 at 10:26 AM, all4foofighters said:

@GRMichigan Thanks for the update! I reached out to a couple of graduates of UofA's DSW program on LinkedIn to ask them some questions. I'll copy and paste some of their responses: 

Some teachers didn’t have Zoom sessions at all. Others held them once a week in the evenings. I had one instructor that held them once a month on Saturdays. It really just varies depending on the professor.

This all sounds wild to me! I dont' think that my classmates and I could have found a single time that worked for us without the school giving us a required time. 

Thank you for passing this along!

@all4foofightersApplication was actually not too bad- a while ago I had a applied to a PHD program so i really just updated and adapted a lot of those materials. I got some good letters of rec (but wishing I knew someone better with an actual DSW). UPENN has a recorded video interview that definitely felt awkward but I think i did fine. Definitely hoping i know something soon. I'm also an adjunct and now my school is asking for my availability for next semester and I can't commit until i know what might happen!

Oh no- October is SUCH A LONG WAIT! You were totally probably hoping to hear by Dec/Jan at that point! It feels silly for a school to sit on an application for nearly half a year! I had reached out to NYU last year and it felt very very clinical in nature which isn't so much of my background (mine is more research + Teaching) so I just anticipated it wasn't going to be a good fit. 

Keep us posted. Good luck everyone!

@KryzFerr The application wasn't too demanding for me either; I was going to apply last year for Fall '22 but last minute didn't feel ready (I'm in private practice and a school social worker and just had finished a year long certificate program). Hence the early October submission, since a lot of the materials were already in preparation. I'm much more clinically orientated and hoping to explore psychedelic-assisted therapy and racial trauma.  I so badly wanted to apply to PENN but it isn't affordable for me at this time. I heard that PENN has the video/recorded interview, which I have done before and I am not a fan. I only applied to Alabama and NYU. From last year's thread and the previous year from that, it looks like we should find out the first week of April, maybe the second! I'm wishing you luck!!

@all4foofightersYes the tuition$$ at these places is kind of nuts. I have a little bit of tuition reimbursement at work and I just got my MSW student loans forgiven so how annoying is it that I'm like "lets take out more loans then!". But i've thought about/wanted to get a PHD/DSW for 5+ years now and I just have to do it.  The psychedelics and racial trauma pieces are so interesting and critical and I would think a school would very MUCH want to support students focusing on that because I think they're both very innovative/emerging topics that I also think future students and SW professionals will want to learn about. I'm very geared towards substance use treatment, LGBTQIA+ populations, and chronic condition management- also want to do some work in perceptions of pain and alternatives to traditional pain management. 

Good luck to you! The wait has been long but I think we'll be posting updates in no time which is also just a different kind of stressful!

@all4foofighters Thank you! I appreciate you reaching out to people for their feedback, it’s very kind of you to share. I hope it helps current and future people decide on their DSW programs. Definitely helps me get a better feel for their program.

I agree with you and @KryzFerr about the application process too—it was not too stressful for me. I spent a few days on each statement of purpose and maybe around 15 hours on each one. I’m not sure if that’s more, similar, or less time than others. Writing has always been a slower process for me. Although UTK and UA ask different questions, I think the content was similar enough to flesh out my goals, identified populations, and reasons for applying. I’m currently in private practice and also adjunct one class. I will likely pause teaching while in the DSW program. My plan is to eventually own a group practice, possibly apply to tenure-track positions at smaller teaching colleges, and do consulting work that relates to my speciality. Above all I want to develop stronger clinical skills. On the application, I talked about developing/improving interventions that target relationships, isolation, and loneliness in the transgender community. I may change my area of focus with further reflection.

I also had open applications with Buffalo, Penn, and St Thomas. I decided that Buffalo’s curriculum didn’t quite match my clinical interests, Penn was too expensive for me at this time, and St Thomas focused almost entirely on pedagogy. I wanted to apply at NYU and Rutgers. I love the idea of attending in-person and I think they both have strong curriculum. However I cannot move or travel to make that happen. I’m happy @all4foofighters that you are applying the NYU. It looks like a strong program.

I’m also curious about other people’s view on the DSW program with UTK (University of Tennessee, Knoxville). There seems to be little information about it on GradeCafe’s forum. I believe it started in 2012. All of their classes take place in the evenings too. Based on their catalogue, they appear to take place M-R, last about two hours each, and start at either 6:00pm or 6:30pm. I think all or nearly all are synchronous. I really enjoy the price (38k total for out of state), and I like their curriculum because it’s heavy on clinical practice with some leadership components. I would want one or two additional research methods classes in case I do apply for tenure-track positions.

What do you all think of the UTK DSW program--any reasons for choosing not to apply for their program? Or others too, such as Tulane or Kentucky?

I'm so happy we have this forum to connect with each other too. Thanks again for all the support and fellowship. 

Edited by GRMichigan

Hi everyone, just want to send a quick update about Alabama's admissions decision timeframe. I heard back from the current interim DSW program director last night (April 3, 2023). He said that decisions will be sent out by next Friday (April 14th, 2023) by email from him personally. I'm not sure if that's the process only for acceptance decisions or for both acceptance and rejections. I'm also guessing that deadline may extend beyond April 14th for people on the waitlist while they wait to fill a cohort.

Anyway, thought this might be helpful for other UA applicants. I'm hoping we all get good news soon!

@GRMichigan Thanks for the update; the wait has been difficult. I've been checking the application portals once a day. Fingers cross we hear back soon. Fortunately, I'm taking a vacation starting tomorrow and I'll have something to take my mind off the wait game. Sending everyone well wishes and fingers cross we get some acceptances in this thread!