PhD application thread Fall 2023

aik257

Where are people applying? how has the feedback been from professors people have talked to? 

I spoke to a Professor who said they will be taking more people this year than the program did over the past few years...

hoping for a successful application cycle! good luck to all!

What school said that to you?

Right now, I am debating whether to reapply to BU. I was accepted to their MA program last year, but not their Ph.D. program, and did not receive funding. I couldn't justify the expense, though I am still interested in their program. I am eyeing a few other programs as well. 

11 hours ago, LEANCO10 said:

What school said that to you?

Right now, I am debating whether to reapply to BU. I was accepted to their MA program last year, but not their Ph.D. program, and did not receive funding. I couldn't justify the expense, though I am still interested in their program. I am eyeing a few other programs as well. 

I heard this from the IFA. I did a terminal MA program at GW and only decided to do it because of the pandemic, if that did not happen I don’t think it is worth it to do a terminal MA because of the cost and there isn’t the same training for further academic careers/other paths unless you really don’t plan on doing a PhD program. 

15 minutes ago, limoges1 said:

Im applying to 6 programs (stanford, yale, berkeley, duke, cuny, princeton) but they're all pretty much reaches -- I don't have an MA because it's just not financially possible for me. Very nervous going into the application process

Good luck to you!!!! 

On 11/11/2022 at 8:39 AM, limoges1 said:

Im applying to 6 programs (stanford, yale, berkeley, duke, cuny, princeton) but they're all pretty much reaches -- I don't have an MA because it's just not financially possible for me. Very nervous going into the application process

What area are you interested in?  Some of these programs are very much opposites in their focus.

22 minutes ago, Dreams said:

What area are you interested in?  Some of these programs are very much opposites in their focus.

Hey - I'm looking at Modernism and sculpture with a focus on Asian diasporic artworks. I felt that those programs have strong modern/contemporary criticism scholars -- what are you thoughts?

• 1 month later...

Has anyone heard about interviews at all? I'm not sure what to expect, I've heard from some friends that their program didn't have interviews, but reading through last years thread- seems like quite a few have! I've applied to 3 PhD programs. The wait is the worst!

I know someone who was interviewed by program faculty at two universities days after the admissions deadline in December.  A lot of interview requests have come out in January looking back at some posts.  So we will see this month.

Edited by Dreams

13 hours ago, Dreams said:

I know someone who was interviewed by program faculty at two universities days after the admissions deadline in December.  A lot of interview requests have come out in January looking back at some posts.  So we will see this month.

Do you know which programs those were? Thanks!

On 1/1/2023 at 4:13 PM, SydneyS22 said:

Has anyone heard about interviews at all? I'm not sure what to expect, I've heard from some friends that their program didn't have interviews, but reading through last years thread- seems like quite a few have! I've applied to 3 PhD programs. The wait is the worst!

I have an interview (?) or at least a meeting with a faculty member from Princeton Art & Archaeology tomorrow.

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, PhDApplicant23 said:
6 hours ago, PhDApplicant23 said:

I imagine this thread will pick up towards the end of the month?

Probably! I’ve noticed some pickup with the results page with interviews etc…